By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4Pro: Secret Sauce Confirmed

If only i can taste it.

Around the Network

Sony keeps delivering good performance for the price I want to pay and play the games I like =]

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

After the years of MS secret sauce (which I pretty much mocked every time so fan would use it to say the PS4 was crap), I cannot say I approve of this message :D

As others have said, what next "Cloud" will improve the console... lets not go there, the Pro is better than the current consoles by at least x2, surely thats enough of a benefit.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

globalisateur said:
Conina said:

"The only casualty in the move to 4K comes from the omission of anti-aliasing - you get 2x MSAA on the base PlayStation 4, while the rich pixel density and post-processing means that it isn't really required at all at 4K."

"On paper though, the technical accomplishment here is impressive. VooFoo has quadrupled resolution over the base PS4 version, and it has done this using a GPU that only has 2.3x the compute power of the older hardware and only 25 per cent more memory bandwidth. Either the base PS4 is being significantly underutilised (in which case we would expect an improvement on its 2x MSAA) or there's something more going on behind the scenes."

My money is on underutilised instead of secret sauce. The game doesn't look as demanding as other 60fps PS4 games and the game engine is optimized for mobile devices. 

So if it only uses/needs 50% of the PS4 power for 60 fps in 1920x1080 (with MSAA off), there is no secret sauce needed to get to 60 fps in 3840x2160 on the PS4 Pro... it is normal GPU scaling.

No. All Pro games we have seen until now show us that 2.3x more GPU is roughly enough to to 2x more pixels, not 4x (because you also need bigger resolution texture and higher resolution effects etc).

If it was underused on the base PS4 they would have used 4xMSAA and not 2xMSAA.

Pure speculation.

"All Pro games we have seen"... yeah, since we already have seen hundreds of Pro-versions of PS4-games, especially of small indie titles.

And how do you know how the game engine reacts to 2xMSAA or 4MSAA? Some engines take a big performance hit even with 2xMSAA.

CGI-Quality said:
Lrdfancypants said:

With all due respect, anytime in my life of buying electronics since the 80's I've always considered Sony the price-conscious brand

Eh, for the most part. That doesn't negate my point, though.

Well, making something mass market have a good effect on price =] so who knows how much lower would it cost consumers the TitanX inside a PS4 or X1 sold at hefty losses.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Lrdfancypants said:

I don't understand. Won't sauce damage electronics?

Maybe some kinds of sauces do not XP

Perhaps the sauce of some people that masturbate for their consoles... I remember seeing one in the other thread =p

Or perhaps Sperma (nig) sauce doesn't.

Sony has just been heavy on the 'secret sauce' talk since the reveal. Started with first party and now they are using Indies to spread it before launch.

Its not about being negative against good Sony news, just temper expectations because the fans like to run with this like they are being done favors from the heavens and get the hype train moving only to have to face the music later.

Just saying , dont fall for the hype and thus be part of the problem of this faux level of expectations . Its just some top view RC Proam looking indie , its not like they are showing us Mass Effect Andromeda running 4K.

If i remember correctly JBlow /The Witness was touting GDDR5 , all this memory he was using and all this power of the PS4 at launch ......and then this Indie game ran 900P in the end.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

Mafioso said:

Sony has just been heavy on the 'secret sauce' talk since the reveal. Started with first party and now they are using Indies to spread it before launch.

Its not about being negative against good Sony news, just temper expectations because the fans like to run with this like they are being done favors from the heavens and get the hype train moving only to have to face the music later.

Just saying , dont fall for the hype and thus be part of the problem of this faux level of expectations . Its just some top view RC Proam looking indie , its not like they are showing us Mass Effect Andromeda running 4K.

If i remember correctly JBlow /The Witness was touting GDDR5 , all this memory he was using and all this power of the PS4 at launch ......and then this Indie game ran 900P in the end.

Man, you are sure one to talk... We do remember how much you keep saying Scorpio will do full 4k60fps. And where were you on cloud?

Sony is talking about secret sauce? Are you sure about it? Because since the gen started only MS have been talking about power itself.

CGI-Quality said:
DonFerrari said:

Well, making something mass market have a good effect on price =] so who knows how much lower would it cost consumers the TitanX inside a PS4 or X1 sold at hefty losses.

There's no way Sony would be ale to reduce the kind of cost on something like a Titan X (either Maxwell or Pascal) that a few seem to believe is possible. You would never get anything under $600 on a Titan X (custom equivalent - you wouldn't get the real thing, anyway) in a console, no matter how you mix/match it.

You know that anything that is mass produced will cost less than "custom made". And sure for console you can have something a little lower than Titan X, shave the most expensive parts, enjoy the few advantages of down to the metal to get a closer performance and you may get something very close to it for perhaps 60% of the price.

DonFerrari said:
Mafioso said:

Man, you are sure one to talk... We do remember how much you keep saying Scorpio will do full 4k60fps. And where were you on cloud?

Sony is talking about secret sauce? Are you sure about it? Because since the gen started only MS have been talking about power itself.

CGI-Quality said:

There's no way Sony would be ale to reduce the kind of cost on something like a Titan X (either Maxwell or Pascal) that a few seem to believe is possible. You would never get anything under $600 on a Titan X (custom equivalent - you wouldn't get the real thing, anyway) in a console, no matter how you mix/match it.

You know that anything that is mass produced will cost less than "custom made". And sure for console you can have something a little lower than Titan X, shave the most expensive parts, enjoy the few advantages of down to the metal to get a closer performance and you may get something very close to it for perhaps 60% of the price.

@DonFerrari

I didn't mention Scorpio in this thread, because the topic is not Scorpio. Its marketing and 'secret sauce' evangelism. Yes, Guerilla started the 'secret sauce' talk at the Pro reveal.

Guerrila Games at Pro Reveal:  "Hulst: There’s a lot of magic happening. It’s all very complicated and Mark Cerny has a fantastic seminar planned in a couple of weeks where he goes into the nitty-gritty of it."

No buddy, there is no 'MAGIC'...its called programming. Its that kind of launguage that gets fans drooling over themselves and using it to push a non realistic agenda to everything inquestion as a result.

I never said Scorpio will do 'full 4k60fps' as a generality, so lets file that one under putting words in my mouth . The hardware target surely can render AAA games at 4K (certainly much better than Pro), anyone familar with PC hardware knows that's true. Compromise free? Surely nothing is compromise free in 4K PC gaming now and i don't expect that to be the case on weaker console-that would be silly.

Folks also need to realize that developing  using an upscaling solution and using the hardware optimally in your game is not exclusive to PS4 Pro and 'secret sauces'.  Modern AMD hardware is modern AMD hardware. Scorpio is bound to have the same instruction set feautures (or more) being newer. There is no secret sauce to Scorpio- its called +1.8TFLOPS more ceiling, 100+ Gb/s more bandwidth , more cores, higher compute, more shaders. Real . Things.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

Has anyone seen any benchmarks of the PC version of that game?

I really can't believe that "Mantis Burn Racing" is very demanding to hardware power. It has a nice art style, but it looks a lot less demanding than f.e. MotorStorm or Dirt 2 (fun racers with dusty desert roads).

And Dirt 2 runs with solid 120 fps in 4K on my GTX1070 in Ultra settings and has also no problems to keep solid 60 fps in 4K with much slower GPUs. So I doubt that "Mantis Burn Racing" brings the PS4 to its limits in 1080p and solid 60 fps.