By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4Pro: Secret Sauce Confirmed

globalisateur said:
It's a feature also available on the RX 480

Mafioso said:

Here comes the evangelism. All praise Mother Sony for an AMD feature that surely fans will make out to be some Sony master sauce creation.

The real question is how useful it would be seeing memory bandwidth and other areas of the system hasn't changed much And You Are ultimately shader limited. Not much . No, this doesn't the GPU twice as powerful.

Eurogamer literally says the features are not available on AMD GPUs

"the new instructions certainly support Mark Cerny's assertion that the PS4 Pro possesses graphics features not found in AMD's current Polaris line of GPUs"

Around the Network
Mafioso said:

Here comes the evangelism. All praise Mother Sony for an AMD feature that surely fans will make out to be some Sony master sauce creation.

The real question is how useful it would be seeing memory bandwidth and other areas of the system hasn't changed much And You Are ultimately shader limited. Not much . No, this doesn't the GPU twice as powerful.

But the PS4 Pro is still a PS4. Sony kept the same CPU (overclocked) and the same 8 GB of GDDR5 ram so developers would not abandon the OG PS4. Games need to run awsome on both versions of Sony's hardware.   

That is why I question the power difference between the OG Xbone and the Scorpio. How are games going to run on Microsoft's vastly different systems? What are they saying, 6 TF on the Scorpio and only 1.4 TF on the Xbone S?  That is a huge difference.   

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

Mafioso said:
Wait until you see native 4K at this price.

Looks like you were right Mafioso :P

Pemalite said:

This isn't a "secret sauce".

It was never even really a secret to begin with.

The fact that the Playstation 4 Pro has superior FP16 performance over the regular Playstation 4 was almost a given as the Pro uses a more modern revision of Graphics Core Next (Or at-least an older GCN design with modern underpinnings) which the last few GCN generations... There has been a stronger emphasis on FP16 performance.
Sony just took advantage of that.

However... Just so we are clear, it's less precise. It's not going to be able to be used for everything, don't expect it to solve all of the Playstation 4's lack of 4k problems. It won't.

Okay. Next Rumor please.

polaris has full fp16 support. And shows a lot of improvement in tests compared to other cards. What exactky do you mean by not as precise? Do youbknwo whst sony has done? seen the design diagrams? Know the engineers on sonys end that customized the chip? And its not a "rumor" that there is this thing/things that the Pro's GPU has (compared to a 4/5yr old GPU architecture)that makes it pound for pound better than the stock PS4 GPU..... it's a fact. 

I mean, you make these improvements sound like they are nothing or wont yeild to an all round better perfomring machine. Weird. 

I didn't expect this game, pleasant surprise. Looks miles better than tabletop racing which was too easy and boring. Hopefully this will be fun, 4 player splitscreen, yes!

Those Eurogamer comments are funny as always, must be a rainy Sunday morning.

I wonder if they'll have an option for 4 player splitscreen at 1080p60 on pro? Or is the CPU simply not capable of sustaining 60 fps with 4 screens to render.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Pemalite said:

This isn't a "secret sauce".

It was never even really a secret to begin with.

The fact that the Playstation 4 Pro has superior FP16 performance over the regular Playstation 4 was almost a given as the Pro uses a more modern revision of Graphics Core Next (Or at-least an older GCN design with modern underpinnings) which the last few GCN generations... There has been a stronger emphasis on FP16 performance.
Sony just took advantage of that.

However... Just so we are clear, it's less precise. It's not going to be able to be used for everything, don't expect it to solve all of the Playstation 4's lack of 4k problems. It won't.

Okay. Next Rumor please.

polaris has full fp16 support. And shows a lot of improvement in tests compared to other cards. What exactky do you mean by not as precise? Do youbknwo whst sony has done? seen the design diagrams? Know the engineers on sonys end that customized the chip? And its not a "rumor" that there is this thing/things that the Pro's GPU has (compared to a 4/5yr old GPU architecture)that makes it pound for pound better than the stock PS4 GPU..... it's a fact. 

I mean, you make these improvements sound like they are nothing or wont yeild to an all round better perfomring machine. Weird. 

I guess he means the literal definition of FP16, which is HALF precision. As opposed to 32FP single precision and 64FP double precision.

16FP is a feature that has been a while on PC GPUs and is used to boost performance specifically in games where most of the time 32FP is not needed, which means the the GPU will process faster because it has to produce only half of the precision of the usual 32FP. But as he said correctly, it does not work for everything within game which makes the application limited somewhat.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Someone should make an App that notifies people with another console the PS4 just received 'positive news'. It would go down a treat, even though it would serve a much tinier demographic.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
Someone should make an App that notifies people with another console the PS4 just received 'positive news'. It would go down a treat, even though it would serve a much tinier demographic.

There already is an app for that. It's called "just another Gribble thread".

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Turkish said:
Sony once again at the top of cutting edge technology. If these guys were GPU vendors they'd leave everyone in the dust, we'd have Titan X performance for half the cost.

Wow, not sure if sarcasm or you werent gaming in the PS1, PS2 and PS3 days. 

Mafioso said:

I sense a safe place of healing, inclusiveness, understanding and respect in your words.

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....