By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you buy a product that was made in your country or made by a company that is from your country?

SvennoJ said:
Snoopy said:

Forza Horizon 3 was published by Microsoft which is based in America. Sorry, but I'm still supporting American products and American companies which is the whole point. But nice try :)

And foreign products are suject to import tax and sold in American stores, so you're still supporting American companies and the Amrican economy, even if it's mail order. Probably more so than with a digital download from MS who probably doesn't even pay tax in the US ;)

Moving the goalpost still only has you support the US for 33% at most with a physical FH3 copy (same as with any foreign product) instead of when you buy NFS from EA you support your country the full 100%. Nice try ;)

Soruces on taxes. At the end of the day Microsoft hires more American workers than EA as a company has ever just with xbox alone. So if I support xbox and their games more Americans are hired. More successful ips from Microsoft means more games by Microsoft which means more jobs for Americans and better GDP. NIce try tho :)

Around the Network
GOWTLOZ said:
Snoopy said:

They aren't even the same genre. The product has to be more comparable. I will without a doubt take a Forza game over Gran turismo not only because Forza is better than GT, but because it is made by American publisher.

Better is subjective but if you only buy American products then how do you know if one of them is better?

You support American companies so do you buy God of War, Uncharted, Infamous and Donkey Kong games that are made by American developers.

I really don't care if a product is made by a company in my country if its good.

I did buy GT5 when I was in high school. No where near as good as Forza.

Snoopy said:
SvennoJ said:

And foreign products are suject to import tax and sold in American stores, so you're still supporting American companies and the Amrican economy, even if it's mail order. Probably more so than with a digital download from MS who probably doesn't even pay tax in the US ;)

Moving the goalpost still only has you support the US for 33% at most with a physical FH3 copy (same as with any foreign product) instead of when you buy NFS from EA you support your country the full 100%. Nice try ;)

Soruces on taxes. At the end of the day Microsoft hires more American workers than EA as a company has ever just with xbox alone. So if I support xbox and their games more Americans are hired. More successful ips from Microsoft means more games by Microsoft which means more jobs for Americans and better GDP. NIce try tho :)

Now you're advocating buying stuff from the biggest corporations. Better always shop at Walmart and eat at McDonalds :)

If you support EA and their games more Americans are hired. More successful ips from EA means more games by EA which means more jobs for Americans and better GDP. A bigger effect than supporting MS published games as EA has a bigger target market, not limited to PC and XBox. NIce try tho :)

Nautilus said:
The_Yoda said:

America is actually two continents North and South.

I know it is.After all, it is called The Americas for a reason.But my point still stands, since the names are similar enough.

"Similar enough"?  Oh, so you want to play language nazi, but can't handle it when it's throw back at you?  Pathetic.
Fact is there is no confusion in language here besides your own, when you can't distinguish between
meanings relevant to plural or singular usage of "America" which are clear and well established.

Nautilus said:

Furthermore, the example you gave about Germany is rather weak, since that can be implied to many countries."Spain" despite the Americas being mostly compromised of spanish speaking countries,"Portugal" despite other portuguese "tribes" existing worldwide.And the same applies with english.The point is that "United States" is part of the formal and informal name of the country, while for many countries it isnt so, including Mexico.So it would be as specific as using america, which is also the same name of the continents, in my personal opinion.

German tribes pre-existed modern state of Germany which is actually Prussia.
German has an anthropological meaning wholly independent of and pre-existing nation states (including colonial subsidiaries/remnants)
I don't know what to say when I specifically tell you the official name of Mexico DOES include phrase "United States" (Estados Unidos in Spanish).
And yes, the name of the USA is certainly imperious and presumptious (just as Germany is),
but "American" as national identifier is not CONFUSING, because no other country name conflicts with that usage.

You do have to understand that the reason people in Latin American countries sometimes avoid using term American re: USA,
is not to avoid confusion, but as essentially POLITICAL stance against imperious presumptiousness of USA.
Of course, their preference for "Estadounidense" (~US-ian) is vague and confusing given the formal name of Mexico.

In fact, people all over the world, in English and other languages, use "American" as national identifier relevant to the "USA".
That is the usage of the language, sorry to say.
And I'm saying this fully aware of contexts where "American" IS appropriate in reference to many peoples, nations of Western Hemisphere.

Fun Fact:
India is both a country and a continent (which also includes Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and parts of Myanmar/Burma
Are you going to insist that saying "I am from India" is a confusing statement that should be forbidden?
That would have more rationale, given there isn't multiple continents which introduce plural/singular distinction.

EDIT: You're more than welcome to use "US" or "USA" in preference to "American" yourself, but drop the language-nazi mandates on others, please.

SvennoJ said:
Snoopy said:

Now you're advocating buying stuff from the biggest corporations. Better always shop at Walmart and eat at McDonalds :)

If you support EA and their games more Americans are hired. More successful ips from EA means more games by EA which means more jobs for Americans and better GDP. A bigger effect than supporting MS published games as EA has a bigger target market, not limited to PC and XBox. NIce try tho :)

First, EA has to be a big company like Microsoft in order to hire as many Americans as MS. EA outsource their work as well soo..... nice try though. Microsoft earnings and employment rates beats EA by a long shot. EA also supports games on PS4 a Japanese owned console. MIcrosoft supports their own console an American owned console and no other console. So by supporting MS games you support an American console as well which will allow us Americans dominate yet another industry. 

So just to break it down for you. By supporting Forza Horizon 3, you support American workers because it gives MS more money to hire more Americans, support a console made by an American company (a new market for us Americans to dominate) and boosts our GDP. Nice try tho :).

BTW I love Walmart and McDonalds. Great companies despite what people say.

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
You mean US?Because America is a continent, you know?

That's funny because "America" is not a continent. I am pretty sure you knew which America he was referring to though. There's three well known Americas:

1. The United States of America
  2. North America
  3. South America

One of those was a country and OP is talking about countries so you can use common sense to know which one, but instead you decide to be an unoriginal smart ass. In doing so you leave an error in your own logic and make yourself look like a fool.

drops mic

OT: If the product is better than yes. Otherwise, no. I don't buy many products that could be considered foreign except for clothing.

teamsilent13 said:
Nautilus said:
You mean US?Because America is a continent, you know?

That's funny because "America" is not a continent. I am pretty sure you knew which America he was referring to though. There's three well known Americas:

1. The United States of America
  2. North America
  3. South America

One of those was a country and OP is talking about countries so you can use common sense to know which one, but instead you decide to be an unoriginal smart ass. In doing so you leave an error in your own logic and make yourself look like a fool.

drops mic

OT: If the product is better than yes. Otherwise, no. I don't buy many products that could be considered foreign except for clothing.

Good lord, I expected some kind of backlash when I made that comment, but never expected people to be offended as if I stepped on them.You need to know that there will be diverging opinions, and try to be polite when refuting them.

And I didnt say that just trying to be a "unoriginal smart ass".i really meant what I said.I use the term America, when something is from the continent but not from exactly from a country.And yes, i use the term in singular, because when I say America, I think of the continents as one, and Im sure Im not the only one.Am I wrong for that?Maybe, but that happens.And I find that using the term US is more appropriate in this situation.Its a opinion.Or are opinions also unoriginal?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Snoopy said:

First, EA has to be a big company like Microsoft in order to hire as many Americans as MS. EA outsource their work as well soo..... nice try though. Microsoft earnings and employment rates beats EA by a long shot. EA also supports games on PS4 a Japanese owned console. MIcrosoft supports their own console an American owned console and no other console. So by supporting MS games you support an American console as well which will allow us Americans dominate yet another industry. 

So just to break it down for you. By supporting Forza Horizon 3, you support American workers because it gives MS more money to hire more Americans, support a console made by an American company (a new market for us Americans to dominate) and boosts our GDP. Nice try tho :).

Bigger companies higher more people, no surprise. Still nice goalpost moving to the publisher, however over half of all FH3 revenue bleeds away to the UK. EA also sells games on ps4 indeed, which means they take in money from people playing on a foreign console, money that goes to the US and supports American workers. EA brings money into the USA, while FH3 sends it out of the country.

MS prefers to take money from Americans, their strongest market, by publishing FH3 they encourage this money to bleed to the UK.
EA takes money from everyone, bringing more money into the US.

By supporting NFS, you support American workers and the US economy. A stronger EA means a bigger net cash flow into the US boosting GDP. By supporting FH3 you send money out of the US. Nice try though :)

Btw: I love McDonalds too, it was my lunch stop for years. They use locally sourced beef, so fits my criteria.

SvennoJ said:
Snoopy said:

Bigger companies higher more people, no surprise. Still nice goalpost moving to the publisher, however over half of all FH3 revenue bleeds away to the UK. EA also sells games on ps4 indeed, which means they take in money from people playing on a foreign console, money that goes to the US and supports American workers. EA brings money into the USA, while FH3 sends it out of the country.

MS prefers to take money from Americans, their strongest market, by publishing FH3 they encourage this money to bleed to the UK.
EA takes money from everyone, bringing more money into the US.

By supporting NFS, you support American workers and the US economy. A stronger EA means a bigger net cash flow into the US boosting GDP. By supporting FH3 you send money out of the US. Nice try though :)

Btw: I love McDonalds too, it was my lunch stop for years. They use locally sourced beef, so fits my criteria.

I guess you forget about royalty fees huh? If we buy games on playstation, Sony gets a cut of the money through royalties. If we buy a game on xbox, Microsoft gets money through royalties. See how that works. Also, foreigners that purchase this game will end up giving us money and foreigners who purchase games on xbox in general will give money back to America no matter what the game is. If xbox dominates the console industry, all the royalty fees will go to us, thus boost our economy and we can acheive more things. 

No goal post moving. At the end of the day. supporting Horizon supports MS which will end up giving us more jobs and money. Nice try tho.

mutantsushi said:

Nautilus said:

I know it is.After all, it is called The Americas for a reason.But my point still stands, since the names are similar enough.

"Similar enough"?  Oh, so you want to play language nazi, but can't handle it when it's throw back at you?  Pathetic.
Fact is there is no confusion in language here besides your own, when you can't distinguish between
meanings relevant to plural or singular usage of "America" which are clear and well established.

Nautilus said:

Furthermore, the example you gave about Germany is rather weak, since that can be implied to many countries."Spain" despite the Americas being mostly compromised of spanish speaking countries,"Portugal" despite other portuguese "tribes" existing worldwide.And the same applies with english.The point is that "United States" is part of the formal and informal name of the country, while for many countries it isnt so, including Mexico.So it would be as specific as using america, which is also the same name of the continents, in my personal opinion.

German tribes pre-existed modern state of Germany which is actually Prussia.
German has an anthropological meaning wholly independent of and pre-existing nation states (including colonial subsidiaries/remnants)
I don't know what to say when I specifically tell you the official name of Mexico DOES include phrase "United States" (Estados Unidos in Spanish).
And yes, the name of the USA is certainly imperious and presumptious (just as Germany is),
but "American" as national identifier is not CONFUSING, because no other country name conflicts with that usage.

You do have to understand that the reason people in Latin American countries sometimes avoid using term American re: USA,
is not to avoid confusion, but as essentially POLITICAL stance against imperious presumptiousness of USA.
Of course, their preference for "Estadounidense" (~US-ian) is vague and confusing given the formal name of Mexico.

In fact, people all over the world, in English and other languages, use "American" as national identifier relevant to the "USA".
That is the usage of the language, sorry to say.
And I'm saying this fully aware of contexts where "American" IS appropriate in reference to many peoples, nations of Western Hemisphere.

Fun Fact:
India is both a country and a continent (which also includes Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and parts of Myanmar/Burma
Are you going to insist that saying "I am from India" is a confusing statement that should be forbidden?
That would have more rationale, given there isn't multiple continents which introduce plural/singular distinction.

EDIT: You're more than welcome to use "US" or "USA" in preference to "American" yourself, but drop the language-nazi mandates on others, please.

Its funny.You bash me about twisting the argument of America and Americas, but you then go on to just twist or outright lie about your own arguments.India is NOT a continent, it is a sub-continent.Or if you prefer, a region of Asia.And it is called the Indian subcontinent, not India, making your whole point about that null.And how the hell do you know people in another languages refer to the US as America?Do you per any chance speak every language in the world?Dutch,German,japanese?Just for reference, I found this page in which at least one person dosent call US America, so not every person does that:(not to mention that he goes on to say that the term is confusing to him, further proving my point that not everyone uses it or even finds it the most appropriate)

https://www.quora.com/Do-U-S-citizens-refer-to-their-country-as-America

And yes sure, Germany was a kind of "United States" until the end of the 19th century if Im not mistaken, with each state having its own prince that would rule over the state, but still having to answer to an Emperor.Argentina full name is Argentine Republic.Panama full name is Republic of Panama.But what about it?Whats the point?I dont understand why are you trying to make all this a political issue, when there was none to begin with.USA is also casually referenced as United States too, but Mexico is not.Thats all there is to it.

The point is, I personally find the use of the term US more appropriate on this discussion, since it not a US-centric discussion, and thus envolves people from the other countries.I stated an opinion, but I was not forcing people to use it.That is just an opinion, something some people seem hard to understand.But now, if you only can see conpiracy theorists about "language-nazi mandates"(what the hell is that?)which you think Im trying to do here, then Im sorry, but I cant do nothing to convince you of otherwise.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1