By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the sensation of being "offended"? What does it feel like?

Ka-pi96 said:
pokoko said:

More of a tongue in cheek thing for my own amusement.  He says the Irish don't get offended yet I remember reading awhile back that some Irish people got offended because Irish celebrities were labeled as British or English.  

Plus he probably has no idea how idiotic it sounds to call someone from Texas or Georgia a "Yank".  I thought that calling him English might clue him in but ... probably not.  I might as well switch to the more accurate "Mick" now, I suppose.

But... yank is a generic term for an american. People from texas and georgia are still americans aren`t they?

Also, WTF is a `mick`?

It's a term for people from the Northeast United States.  New York Yankees, for instance.  Call a person from elsewhere that and they'll think you're an idiot.

Also, literally the first thing that comes up on google:

Mick

noun: Mick; plural noun: Micks

an Irishman.

Around the Network

From this thread it seems to stem from simplifying large groups of people by negative stereotypes.

"All Xs are stupid."
"I'm an X and I say all Y are ignorant cucumber eaters!"
"How dare you, as a Y you know nothing about us you dirty X. Why don't you clean a train!"
"That's an outdated perception based on limited experience with Xs and poor media representation."
"A fair point! Perhaps my aggression is directed toward Xs due to a sense of my own life lacking!"
"And my knee jerk reaction to Ys is based in deep insecurity of other Xs I know!"
"..."
"..."
"Well, least you ain't a Z."
"I hate Zs...with their hats."
"Fucking right, Zs and their hats. Bunch of wankers."

Ka-pi96 said:
Have you never been to Scandinavia? I haven`t either, but it looks cold as fuck there! Sure England/Ireland have far too much rain, but they`re surely a fair bit warmer than Scandinavia, especially Iceland.

I live in northeast Finland and yeah, it's cold and dark as fuck in winter here. Summer is usually nice and warm and nights are light as day, it's beautiful! It's funny to watch them play Premier League matches in open arena when it's -35C here so yeah, England is surely a fair bit warmer :P

John2290 said:
damoxuk said:
Best not watch frankie boyle then :)

Ah, FFS. I grew up on Tommy Tiernan. Boyles a badass but I don't invest myself in celebs lives like the Americans do, and celebs are usually the punch line for his jokes.

Your dependence on stereotyping is impressive.  I think I understand what you're doing, tell me if I'm wrong.  You live in this tiny little place where everyone acts the same (hence your "I'm Irish!" thing you keep repeating to define your identity).  You say, "Oi, if everyone here acts the same, that must be true everywhere, even if the country is massive and diverse!"  Then you watch TV and form your opinions from that.

I'm right, aren't I?

Either that, or an American offended you somehow but you just didn't know it because you don't know what the word means, so you decided to get revenge by coming online and making passive aggressive threads and comments on a video-game forum.

John2290 said:

I only said I was Irish cause you were trying to fuck with me, I fucked with you. Why is this so important to you? Can you not accept the fact that other cultures aren't all as entightled as yours and aren't raised to be sensitive.  If you must know I have had to spend time in two other countries for work, I'm currently unemployed and on sick leave for the last year and will be for some time more. I have a sligthly above average penis, plenty girth but I am insecure about it cause I'm a grower and not a shower. My mam died of Cancer in 2010 and I developed a drug habit. I have been arrested three times, while naked twice. I'm 26 and have only been in four relationships longer than a month, the longest being seven months. The last sexual experience I had that didn't end in a floppy because of medication was before I got sick, last summer. I once went homeless and have been penniless quite a few time. I once tried commiting suicide and came very near death. My life over the last few months has been pretty pathetic and miserable but I've made the best of it and I will continue to do so. I have been practicing the guitar for almost ten years now and I still mediocre. I sometimes get nervous in public, sometimes it leads to panic attacks. I could go on but is this enough embarrasing information for you? 

Alright, I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish now.  This has turned ridiculous and wierd.  So, yeah, I'll just name you the winner and back out of this thread and leave you to your world of stereotypes.  Now you can get drunk, pray for awhile, and attend your IRA meetings in peace.  Good?  Good.