By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the sensation of being "offended"? What does it feel like?

John2290 said:

Not directed at me but if your asking, if I were the parent and found it funny Id laugh and make up a silly story to the kid afterward who would probably be oblivious, if the kid was not oblivios I'd start questioning my parenting skills and wonder how the fuck they could pick up on those jokes, if the kid did pick up on the jokes and laugh earnestly...can't say I wouldn't be a little proud. 

Please for the sake of the child dont be a parent for a very long time, you still have a lot of growing up to do 

Making excuses and normalising bad behaviour toward women would not help your child, if you dont understand what I'm saying or dont care, then your not ready for a child of your own

Around the Network
Rab said:
Lawlight said:

The child wether male or female wouldn't understand the jokes. You have to be pretty stuck up to not find some of those jokes funny.

Couldnt you just for a second imagine how a Dad or Mum would feel, maybe your not capable.. anyway moving on

Naive comment, children range in age and intelligence

You have to be pretty insensitve to find some of those jokes funny

No, I couldn't because I'm not someone who gets offended at a joke. I pity your kid though.

Lawlight said:
Rab said:

Couldnt you just for a second imagine how a Dad or Mum would feel, maybe your not capable.. anyway moving on

Naive comment, children range in age and intelligence

You have to be pretty insensitve to find some of those jokes funny

No, I couldn't because I'm not someone who gets offended at a joke. I pity your kid though.

I pity your kid

John2290 said:
Hedra42 said:

4th page in this thread and I'm surprised this image hasn't turned up yet, so I'll oblige.

Sadly, the notion of 'being offended' has become a fashionable form of passive aggression that has made a mockery of itself and whichever context it raises its ugly head in, from issues of racism to international diplomacy. It's a culture that feeds hyperbole and prevents important issues from being treated seriously.

I'd head to your settings if I were you and increase the reply count per page. Handy and I'm sorry if I offended you in anyway shape or form. lol. I agree with your post fully, I'd just ad it is a cultural thing also. We aren't all like the Yanks.

no offence taken

Didn't realise you could change it... thanks!

Ka-pi96 said:
John2290 said:

I am not ready, nor will I be anytime soon...if at all. If I did decide to bring a child into this world, I'd sure as hell teach them to Joke first, if that fails, raise fists second, if that fails, run but never would I raise a child to be so sensitive that the stick figures above the door they enter to go take a shit, cause them anger.

If they turned out that way regardless... would you be offended?

I know I'd have failed as a parent, lol.

Around the Network
John2290 said:

I'm not sure if it is my culture or what but here we just look at reality and make fun of it rather than shy away and ignore it. What is offended feel like? The Yanks seem to consider it an emotion on par with anger. To me the closest thing I can equate it with is the insecure feeling you get when someone calls out something embarrassing in front of a group of people or someone cracks a crappy joke about a very personal issue, like testicular cancer or some shite.

I'm just wondering if everyone is on the same page hre because being offended in America seems to anger people to insanity, something the kids are now calling "triggered". I find it disturbing, gross and unmannerly, is this reaction I am having towards "triggered" people the same as being offended?

Sometimes, the Yanks really confuse me. Or maybe it is my Irish culture and our self deprecating humor that is the fault here?

I'm a Yank and have never heard of this triggered term. 

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

John2290 said:

I'm not sure if it is my culture or what but here we just look at reality and make fun of it rather than shy away and ignore it. What is offended feel like? The Yanks seem to consider it an emotion on par with anger. To me the closest thing I can equate it with is the insecure feeling you get when someone calls out something embarrassing in front of a group of people or someone cracks a crappy joke about a very personal issue, like testicular cancer or some shite.

I'm just wondering if everyone is on the same page hre because being offended in America seems to anger people to insanity, something the kids are now calling "triggered". I find it disturbing, gross and unmannerly, is this reaction I am having towards "triggered" people the same as being offended?

Sometimes, the Yanks really confuse me. Or maybe it is my Irish culture and our self deprecating humor that is the fault here?

I didn't read the whole thread but this sounds ridiculous. If the only way for somebody to look at reality is to make fun of it then that person isn't mentally balanced in my opinion. I think a person like that hasn't even faced the reality.

When someone is insulting to them they typically feel offended... Which is normally the aim of the person giving the insults. If insults never offend you, good for you, but I believe it affects all cultures.

What you might be talking about is offence at things that aren't intentionally aimed at you. It could be that that person was just being thoughtless or perhaps they were knowingly being a dick.

Either case, it's funny that some people seem to get so offended by people pointing out their being offensive. Perhaps people who go out of their way to be offensive are actually often quite fragile.

Never said:

When someone is insulting to them they typically feel offended... Which is normally the aim of the person giving the insults. If insults never offend you, good for you, but I believe it affects all cultures.

What you might be talking about is offence at things that aren't intentionally aimed at you. It could be that that person was just being thoughtless or perhaps they were knowingly being a dick.

Either case, it's funny that some people seem to get so offended by people pointing out their being offensive. Perhaps people who go out of their way to be offensive are actually often quite fragile.

Yeah, people wishing you Merry Christmas are so offensive. They're the worst.

I think the "yanks" as you put it, will do just about anything to get atention. They will also pampers themselves with self-righteouness claiming its basis to be something religious related. And religion is most certainly not righteous.

The right course of action is to ignore them. The more atention you give them, the more they will crave it and do anything to get it. Laughing might be a good course of action aswell. Embarass them and they may get the message.