By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Whatever happened to the Racing genre?

I want revival of Road Rash.

Around the Network

Lots of drama with driving game studios.

Psygnosis, makers of Wipeout, everybody moved to other projects after bought by Sony - defunct 2012.

Eden Games (V-rally), everyone good left the company after bought by Infogrames (Atari).

Reflections (Destruction Derby, Driver, Stuntman), now make Watchdogs & The Division.

Namco lost everything that was good about Ridge Racer after PS1 era.

Polyphony was revered for Gran Turismo in PS1 & PS2 days, and like the success of PlayStation went to Kutaragi's head, so did the success of GT go to Yamauchi's head. The studio takes forever to produce new titles and they're not that great.

Criterion, a studio with some of the best rated racers in PS3/X360 generation no longer exists as a real studio (after the studio heads went literally mad).

Codemasters (Colin McRae Rally, Dirt Rally) still going pretty well.

Forza is probably the most successful long term series. (Metropolis Street Racer, Project Gotham Racing, Forza, Forza Horizon).

My 8th gen collection

Well, maybe some racing games are just the same as previously released. But it also depends on what you want to see in a racing game.

The 0815 racing game where you most of the time drive on known racing tracks has been done to death with it's latest entry by Project Cars. Some people praise the game, but I find it rather boring. I just don't like official racing tracks.

I enjoy the Dirt Series pretty much. And with Dirt Rally, Codemasters released a really good and challenging game.

I was also a fan of the Test Drive Unlimited games. I loved the freedom and stuff you could do in the game. Sadly, the bugs and server issues were a big problem and some times later, Eden Games was closed by Atari.

The Crew has a nice concept of being able to drive through the whole of the US, but certain gameplay mechanics like getting new parts for your vehicles were more than stupid.

The latest Need for Speed games looks really good, but it's just a plain arcade gameplay is no fun. And that story is way too cheesy and bad.

Forza Horizon 3 is being released this week and it is my first Forza game. I like what I saw, so I hope I won't be disappointed.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Times change. In the US, back in the 80's, Mario 3 was the greatest game ever made. It was the biggest game on the planet. It sucks for those of us who can't handle said change very well but that's life.

I would love a Sequel to Split/Second and Motorstorm but sadly certain publishers are idiots.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

People got tired of waiting for a LoD Team Racing and moved on.

ICStats said:
Namco lost everything that was good about Ridge Racer after PS1 era.

I never understood what was good about Ridge Racer in the first place. It was just 1 course in 4 variations and that's it. The demo of the game was more than enough for me, and I never touched it again.

I just don't get the hype about this game.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

The last racing type of game that i truly enjoyed, was Burnout Paradise.

I think a lot of the interest came from the fact that (somewhat) realistic racing games were possible for the first time during gen 5 - and that continued into gen 6. That got people excited. But cool, flashy graphics are common place these days, and the racing genre doesn't feel as new and exciting any more. Maybe it'll make a come back down the road, things seem to go in cycles after all. I think that gen 6 achieved everything that could be achieved with racing games. Other genres have evolved, done new things

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

bartkuz said:
I want revival of Road Rash.

Not long now

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-29-road-rash-spiritual-successor-road-redemption-gets-final-release-date