By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Getting Started With An Xbox 360

I won an Xbox 360 Arcade today at a raffle (Only spent $20.00 on tickets).

What games would you recommend? I already have Halo 3 and Viva Pinata (for my little brother and sister).

Also, does anybody know where I could find some cheap accessories, mainly a hard drive and a network adaptor. I don't really want to have to spend $250 on LIVE/ Hard Drive.

Alternatively, could I use a regular PC Hard Drive, and is there another way to get online wirelessly, like with a 3rd party accessory or the original Xbox wi-fi adaptor?

Around the Network

This is coming up with one reply but there is nothing here. Ok now there is, mine.

Edit. This is weird. it now says after i posted that there is two posts.  

Ikilledkenny lucky you for winning a XBox 360 Arcade.

....... First off why did my wang detector just flash red?

To answer question on the hard drive first, no you can't use a PC hard drive you have to buy the official 360 ones. A new 20GB will run you about $100 (OVER PRICED) so I suggest you try looking on eBay.

On the Wi-Fi adapter the offical one costs also $100 (OVER PRICED), but I saw a third party one for about $60. I'm almost positive that if you have an Xbox original Wi-Fi adapter that should be fine. If that doesn't work you can run an ethernet cable to your PC or laptop and bridge a connection.

A couple of game suggestions at the top of my head: Call of Duty 4, Lost Odyssey, Bioshock, Mass Effect, and Rock Band (costs a lot but hell of a time to play with friends).

One last thing, congratulations on winning a free console :)

Kingdom Hearts 3 Bet: If Kingdom Hearts 3 becomes a multiplaform title/is not Wii exclusive then I will be banished from this land for 1 week and sing my praises to those who have proved themselves to be more intelligent than I.http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/RDBRaptor/rdbraptor_sig16.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">
My Anime List

Around the Network

I'd reccommend Bioshock and Mass Effect. Best two games on the console imo.

Rock_on_2008 said:
Ikilledkenny lucky you for winning a XBox 360 Arcade.

Yeah, I was surprised. The odds were really against it. Almost everybody put at least a little into that and the PS3 they had there. You wouldn't think that they would put good things at an elementary school raffle.

I'd try Ebay and a reputable seller for a hard drive, you can only use MS proprietary ones.

If you like shooters get Gears of War.

If you like JRPG's get Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon (buy them in that order).

If you like GTA style games pick up Saint's Row cheap. It is really good.

Regardless of what kind of games you like, purchase Bioshock and Mass Effect as they are the two best games of this generation on the high-def consoles.

When they come out this year Fable 2, Banjo Kazooie 3, GeoW2, GTAIV, Ninja Gaiden 2, Infinite Undiscovery and perhaps Too Human and Alan Wake will all be must haves if your remotely interested in the genres.

A list of MS exclusives can be found here:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=19165

A list of already released great games can be found here:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=14073

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

If you liked Halo 3, get Gears of War, BioShock, Orange Box, and then get Lost Odyssey and Mass Effect for your RPG needs.

For your younger siblings, Lego Star Wars, Beautiful Katamari, and maybe sign up Live and get other good XBLA games. N+ and Bomberman Live comes to mind. (actually Im not sure whether you need a hard drive for these downloadable games, someone help him out?)

You can use your computer hard drive to play media files, but you cant use it to save your games.

Get yourself set up with an eBayed 20GB HDD (around $50) and a year of XBL (around $30).

Then go buy Mass Effect, Gears of War, BioShock, and Dead Rising. If you're into JRPGs, pick up Blue Dragon.

Then sign up to Gamefly and enjoy about fifty 8+ Metacritic games. See you in six months.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/