By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Celebs... here to save... push their own agendas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRp1CK_X_Yw

Watch that.  This is really upsetting to me.  They push the importance of voting, but back handedly are telling us to go their way.  This is how Obama won his two elections and I guess the celebrity machine is at it again.  You celebrities are popular, I get it, but between you and I and everyone else, your opinions are your own and mines are mines.  Just because you have the power to go out there and push your personal agendas, well to me it's just selfish. 

Remember, it's one thing to tell the importance of voting, it's another thing to whisper your personal believes on to others. 

Around the Network

We all have agendas and well all push them in some way. What's wrong with celebrities doing the same

collint0101 said:
We all have agendas and well all push them in some way. What's wrong with celebrities doing the same

Nothing I suppose, but I have some reservations about how charismatic and fun people are more likely to cajole en masse.  Have you ever heard of selling ice to eskimos.  Well, that's the sense I'm getting from this.  Sure, freedom ring and all is fair, but a lot of these actors are really popular.  Six of these actors made several billion dollar movies.  You have to admit their star power is over reaching in ways where it's sort of scary.  Even a little bit?

Never really liked when a "get out and vote" movement clearly leans promotes one side or the other... it just seems disingenuous and self serving.

Yeah I don't really know why they treat these videos as though it's about the general importance of voting and that everyone should get out there but then when you actually watch the whole video in all actuality t's about the importance of voting for who they want you to vote for instead. Feels a little misleading and selfish to promote it as that but then use it to try to steer it into a certain direction as well, regardless of who they were trying to promote or go against. 

Edit: I'm editing this comment to rewrite it as to better accurately portray what I had intended to say at the time as the original was poorly worded. 

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 13 August 2021

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
Never really liked when a "get out and vote" movement clearly leans promotes one side or the other... it just seems disingenuous and self serving.

Edit: Please read above post. 

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 16 August 2021

Normally I'm fine with people being open about how they feel politically, but I didn't like this video either. I think getting people out to vote is important enough that they should have put the political slant aside.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
Normally I'm fine with people being open about how they feel politically, but I didn't like this video either. I think getting people out to vote is important enough that they should have put the political slant aside.

Personally, I didn't like the comedy that they laced in this PSA.  Look, it's all fun and games to show the great chemistry they had with one another, but the tone was suppose to be serious and with a message, but then that's derailed when the focus was on how cool they all were and that's the driving force for the message.  The driving force of the message should be that it's important to vote, not the fact that these celebs were so cool and we had such a great time watching them. 

Ouroboros24 said:
Normchacho said:

Personally, I didn't like the comedy that they laced in this PSA.  Look, it's all fun and games to show the great chemistry they had with one another, but the tone was suppose to be serious and with a message, but then that's derailed when the focus was on how cool they all were and that's the driving force for the message.  The driving force of the message should be that it's important to vote, not the fact that these celebs were so cool and we had such a great time watching them. 

I don't really have a problem with the humor, since voting isn't a dark topic and it helps get more people to watch the video. I just wish they had stayed away from taking sides.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Ouroboros24 said:
Normchacho said:

And why exactly are you deciding what their message was supposed to be?  I think their message was pretty clear.