By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Iphone 7 is the biggest joke I have ever seen, cost as much as two PS4 Pros, no headphone-jack

deskpro2k3 said:
Jumpin said:

Probably a lost in translation error. I see you're American. If you were talking to someone in Europe, anywhere, the cost of manufacturing something always includes the price of the parts. Excluding the cost of the parts is meaningless, as that is factored into the cost of the final product.

You're the man Jumpin. Thanks for that explaination.

Nothing was lost in translation. I'm American too. Everyone knows that the cost of manufacturing means parts + labor.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Around the Network
ohmylanta1003 said:
deskpro2k3 said:

You're the man Jumpin. Thanks for that explaination.

Nothing was lost in translation. I'm American too. Everyone knows that the cost of manufacturing means parts + labor.

Didn't I say what to do if you want to discuss semantics? Keep in mind, my statement was about building cost.

You build dams, you dont manufacture it.

You manufacture car parts, you build the car from these parts. 

You build a house, you dont manufacture it.

you manufacture cement, and use it for building a house.

you manufacture iphone 7 parts, and use it to build an iphone 7.

Do you get it?

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
torok said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Well... It actually wasn't the Note 7 that exploded on that kid's hand. It was something else I believe. But the removable of the headphone jack is nonsense and it is a more of an inconvience for a longer period of time than the Note 7 Situation. Yes those batteries were badly engineered hence why Samsung is replacing the phones with batteries that don't suck. The phone itself isn't badly enginnered and its Camera even beats the iphone 7's camera in virtually all comparisons.

No one is denying the Note 7 isn't a disaster but it is a disaster that will be replaced soon enough. What won't is the lack of a headphone jack. Yes you get an adapter but it is an incovience for the life of the device. You can't charge it while listening to music and considering it effectively requires you to unplug and replug when you want to listen/charge, it will decrease the amount of times the port will allow you to plug and unplug before it dies. So essentially, it cuts the life of the port by a lot since there is always a certain amount of times you can unplug/plug a connection into a port. Oh and of course, people will lose the adapter since it is so tiny and will have to get replacement ones. On top of that, Apple will require companies to get a license for lighting port in order to make wired headphones to work with the iphone 7 which will increase the price of the wired headphones if you want to use the lighting port.

Well, dealing with an adapter is better than 2nd degree burns. As for the jack, it's simply outdated. If companies listened to people crying because an old tech had to go, we still would have floppy drives on our notebooks.We have to deal with adaptors, but getting better sound is a nice plus. The life of the port isn't even a big issue, 3.5 jacks also break. Anyway, we replace our phones frequently enough to simply not care about this.

The problem isn't removing the jack. If Apple weren't a greedy bastard, they would use USB type-C. Android phones will use it, so you can use one of this with your PC, console, TV, whatever. Apple will again use their proprietary BS, but people who buy Apple devices are already used to pay a premium, so I guess it's the price to use an iPhone. I'm not paying it, not buying anything from Apple. Rather buy a mid-end Android device that does a lot of stuff and won't cost a kidney.

So basically, if you're on Android, you will buy USB-C phones that will work on your phone and all your devices. If you have an iPhone, well, pay the price, get adapters. Apple devices are becoming a mass of hubs and adapters anyway (new Macbook, per instance).

And how many people suffered those burns from the Note 7? Not sure why you continue to act like its not being recalled and the issue is not being fixed... And exactly how many people cried about the floppy drives? Cause I don't recall a mass outcry... The reason those were gone is because there was a better alternative that people already used instead of the Floppy Drives, not because companies removed it and forced people to adapt. Also according to many sites, there are more disadvatages to using the lightning port than there are advantages. And yes, the 3.5 also breaks but guess what? You could still charge your phone if it broke. Now if the charging port breaks, oh look, you can't. And what do you mean we? Just because you do doesn't mean everyone else does.

And its not like Motorolla are being praised for removing the headphone jack either on their flagship phones and having only the USB-C connector. Infact, most people did not like it at all.

And I hope other Android phones don't go this route because the public clearly doesn't want to get rid of the headphone jack without a better alternative. And using the Lightning/USB-C port is not. There is no reason to get rid of a technology if there is no better alternative. And shoving it down our throats is not the answer.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

While I agree that the new iphone is lolz worthy with its lack of a headphone Jack, I can see why people buy them.

Most people that buy iphones don't buy them at full price, majority will most likely go into a contract or go with Apple's Financing option of paying blah per month. So the initial price of the phones is a lot cheaper.

And then of course, phones in general are a necessity and it is nearly impossible to live without a phone these days. But it is more than possible to live without a console. Some people just choose an iphone cause it does more than your typical dumb phone and its apps library is the best there is. For example, I use Google Maps + GPS on my Galaxy S7 all the time to find new locations that I have never been to before. In order to do that before smartphones came out, I had to buy a seperate GPS thing which I had to pay a yearly subsciption in order to get Map updates. 

So I can certainly see it.

its hardly impossible to  live without a celluar phone, the vast majority of jobs, whether schoolteacher, computer analyst, whatever, don't need their phone to call into work constantly when they're at home. 

Its convenient to have a phone today, yes, but again its hardly a requirement unless you work in some profession in which you're some sort of door to door technichian. People do in fact often still have landlines.

People are just obsessed with tacky little things on their phones- games, social media, etc. Its an obsessive convenience which propels people to spend this much on a device that does exactly the same thing as others, and also an attempt to appear socially or technologically superior in some fashion to others. Its the "omg I've got the newest version" mentality.

depressing really

Captain_Yuri said:

And exactly how many people cried about the floppy drives? Cause I don't recall a mass outcry... The reason those were gone is because there was a better alternative that people already used instead of the Floppy Drives

I just had to, I could not resist.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

Iphone 7 is fantastic and totally understand the appeal. Personally couldn't justify paying those prices for a phone. I just use a doogee y100 pro which was about £45.

Good android performance and great quality 720p screen with corning glass, 64bit quad core cpu with mid level graphics and good battery life. Very happy with it. Dual sim too.

http://www.doogeemobile.com/doogee-y100-pro.html

Mobile phones are dirt cheap to make and most so called business analysis of parts cost is way off but then its not in Apple's interest to admit their phones cost tens of dollars to make rather than 100s.

It's a premium product though and people have the right to spend what they perceive is a fair price for the functionality it offers them.

A pet annoyance of mine is people who go into debt to buy products they can't afford though. If the iphone isn't a comfortable purchase for you based on your income and outgoings you shouldn't be buying it.

mountaindewslave said:
Captain_Yuri said:

While I agree that the new iphone is lolz worthy with its lack of a headphone Jack, I can see why people buy them.

Most people that buy iphones don't buy them at full price, majority will most likely go into a contract or go with Apple's Financing option of paying blah per month. So the initial price of the phones is a lot cheaper.

And then of course, phones in general are a necessity and it is nearly impossible to live without a phone these days. But it is more than possible to live without a console. Some people just choose an iphone cause it does more than your typical dumb phone and its apps library is the best there is. For example, I use Google Maps + GPS on my Galaxy S7 all the time to find new locations that I have never been to before. In order to do that before smartphones came out, I had to buy a seperate GPS thing which I had to pay a yearly subsciption in order to get Map updates. 

So I can certainly see it.

its hardly impossible to  live without a celluar phone, the vast majority of jobs, whether schoolteacher, computer analyst, whatever, don't need their phone to call into work constantly when they're at home. 

Its convenient to have a phone today, yes, but again its hardly a requirement unless you work in some profession in which you're some sort of door to door technichian. People do in fact often still have landlines.

People are just obsessed with tacky little things on their phones- games, social media, etc. Its an obsessive convenience which propels people to spend this much on a device that does exactly the same thing as others, and also an attempt to appear socially or technologically superior in some fashion to others. Its the "omg I've got the newest version" mentality.

depressing really

So, what? People don't go out? You do realize that work places call people to come in to work in case if someone is sick of if its an emergancy. Not everyone stays at home all the time. Or what if you are out and you get into an accident or if something bad happens? Or what if your family member needs help and you aren't at home? What if you have to pick up your children from school but they aren't out for quite a while but you don't know why? It really is impossible these days.

It is true that most people don't need all the features that phones can deliver these days but what smartphones allow people to do is to get ahead of others. If you have an email, you can quickly reply. If you are in the stock market, you can trade with your phone. If you are trying to find a new place, you can use your phone to do that. And the list goes on. Yes you don't need the latest and greatest but you certainly need a phone and why not have the best there is if you can afford it?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

deskpro2k3 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

And exactly how many people cried about the floppy drives? Cause I don't recall a mass outcry... The reason those were gone is because there was a better alternative that people already used instead of the Floppy Drives

I just had to, I could not resist.

Lolll saved

KBG29 said:

Somehow Sony and Microsoft have to conveince more than just me, that shopping, paying bills, watching TV, making videos, editing pictures, buying stocks, socilizing, and playing games are all acceptable activities on consoles. Then we may actually be able to get home computers and mobile companion devices, that are higher price, and better value. But, until that becomes the norm, we will have underpowered consoles, a dieing handheld market, a broken PC market, and an over priced and extreamly limited function mobile market.

I don't see how turning a console from a luxury item into a must need for every day work is going to make the current form of a PC "better" in price and value. Consoles are and always will be seen and regarded as a luxury item that isn't required for work, this is why the vast majority of workplaces contain desktops and laptops for their jobs.

PC market isn't broken btw.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
KBG29 said:

Somehow Sony and Microsoft have to conveince more than just me, that shopping, paying bills, watching TV, making videos, editing pictures, buying stocks, socilizing, and playing games are all acceptable activities on consoles. Then we may actually be able to get home computers and mobile companion devices, that are higher price, and better value. But, until that becomes the norm, we will have underpowered consoles, a dieing handheld market, a broken PC market, and an over priced and extreamly limited function mobile market.

I don't see how turning a console from a luxury item into a must need for every day work is going to make the current form of a PC "better" in price and value. Consoles are and always will be seen and regarded as a luxury item that isn't required for work, this is why the vast majority of workplaces contain desktops and laptops for their jobs.

PC market isn't broken btw.

Consoles are only luxury items from the perspective that no one *needs* one; they're almost exclusively for entertainment.

And no, I'm not going to bother with the whole entertainment devices can be repurposed into a productivity/work device argument because at that point one can counter with then they can also be repurposed into weapons of mass destruction by turning them into computing clusters to power the guidance systems of missiles, etc. 

If anything, I'd counter that video game consoles are intended as cheap entertainment. The market has proven that prices have to be reasonable, and in fact, hardware prices have actually gone down over the decades when adjusting for inflation, meaning consumers expect more for less as the market continues to develop. Attempts to buck that trend are met with $599 PS3 and $499 XBO consumer responses. 

But I will say that consoles aren't necessary to access the vast majority of game content, so in that respect, they can be considered superfluous, but still not luxury items. A relatively new desktop PC can be turned into a decent gaming PC with the appropriate video card upgrade, negating the need for another gaming device, and even that is superfluous for the average gamer, who surprise; is playing mobile games on their mobile device, not sitting in front of a desktop PC or a TV video game console.

There's no denying where the vast majority of industry growth has been since the increase in market relevance of the smartphone. Dedicated PC or console gamers may not like it; they can even go through great lengths to deny it, but the numbers don't lie. 

The console market may well have peaked as fewer consumers justify the need to buy the latest, but again, this doesn't make them luxury items.