By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dear Esther: Landmark Edition could be one of those hidden gems.

I used to be a Myst fan when it first came out in the early 1990's.  There were copycat game that tries to mimic Myst's allure and lore, but nothing for its time could match the groundbreaking point-and-click puzzle solving adventure that helped revolutionized the genre.  Now, I just revent came across Dear Esther: Landmark Edition.  Here are few screenshot:

Games like this do not appeal to everyone. But to make Dear Esther successful, graphics play just an important of a role as gameplay.  That gameplay comes in the form for storytelling and puzzles.  Again, not for everyone.  But it can certain provide a few night of unwinding relaxation after a long day.

All stillshots were taken from the review below:

http://www.psu.com/review/31198/Dear-Esther--Landmark-Edition-Review---PS4

Around the Network

"Dear Esther: Landmark Edition could be one of those hidden gems."
Dear Esther has already sold 800k on Steam. On top of that it received a decent amount of media attention when it first released back in 2012. Its not exactly something I'd call a hidden gem, hell its probably one of the more popular walking simulators around.

LMAO! Game is nothing like Myst. its a walking simulator that lasts like 2 hours. There is no gameplay or puzzle.

Really should do your research more thorough cuz u gonna get dissapointed mang.

And hidden gem? It's like one of the most well known indie games out there.

Yeah, this game has been around for some time at this point.

If you want something like Myst...well there's nothing like Myst at this point, but maybe give The Vanishing of Ethan Carter a try?

Dear Esther is not a hidden gem, is a showcase of how you should NOT make a walking simulator, you just walk a defined path for 3 hours, that's the game, what a gem.

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
"Dear Esther: Landmark Edition could be one of those hidden gems."
Dear Esther has already sold 800k on Steam. On top of that it received a decent amount of media attention when it first released back in 2012. Its not exactly something I'd call a hidden gem, hell its probably one of the more popular walking simulators around.

I do realize that "Landmark Edition" refers/implies to an upgrade from a previous version.  But this is my first time hearing of this, and it might be a pleasant surprise for some.

Have you heard of Obduction? That game is basically a new Myst from what I've been hearing (It's made by the same devs actually).

You are the first person I see that had something positive to say about it. You should play The Vanishing of Ethan Carter first because that's an actual game.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Wright said:

Yeah, this game has been around for some time at this point.

If you want something like Myst...well there's nothing like Myst at this point, but maybe give The Vanishing of Ethan Carter a try?

The Witness could do the trick too.

Goodnightmoon said:

The Witness could do the trick too.

Well, haven't played that one, but as far as I know, 95% of its puzzles are the drawing-on-boards thing, no?