By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - pros of pc gaming and pros of console gaming.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Pretty sure that released on PS4 as well, but yeah it's definitely about the exclusives. PC usually has by far my most played games on it, just couldn't do without simulation/strategy games

Thanks. I missed that. Updated the list. 

It was even free on PS+, but I bought it on launch. It's cross-buy also, I'll probably finish it on Vita. Great game, kinda dated on some mechanics, but at least thet improved the controls (tank controls available as opt-in). Love the creator comments on the remastered edition, this alone would make it worth the price.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:

Me too, not sure why people thinks otherwise.

It's not like you can't, but you have some issues:

- Games that do not support controllers (Xcom 2 is terrible on this point)

- Sometimes you have to grab a M/KB to fix stuff, so it's inconvenient.

- And most important: a lot of games are online today. Are you really going to play BF4 using a joystick when everyone is using M/KB?

I believe that the point is that you sit on your couch and play your console and you have 100% certain that anything on the interface is compatible with the controller and that you can play online with it and be just fine.

So it's basically a no-no. People like stuff that simply works without having any trouble. Apple is the largest company on the world simply because they sell ultra-expensive stuff that works and people are willing to pay more just to avoid hassle.

Just a quick tip about joysticks + PCs. I recommend buying a DualShock 4 and using Input Mapper to play with it on PC. You can use the touchpad to emulate a notebook touchpad, so you can use it as a mouse. Most of the situations that are not joypad-friendly on PC can be solved with a mouse, so I highly recommend this. And of course, if you have a PS4 but not a Xbox, it avoids having to buy X1/360 controllers for your PC since you can share controllers with the console.

torok said:
Goodnightmoon said:

- And most important: a lot of games are online today. Are you really going to play BF4 using a joystick when everyone is using M/KB?

Have you heard about wireless keyboard and wireless mouse? Problem solved.

And that's only if you are interested in online shooters really, I use the gamepad 90% of the time when playing on PC.

SamLeheny said:

Meanwhile PCs... well... Windows 10, basically. Windows 10 is happening. Microsoft's long term goal may be to monopolise software distribution, and their new UWP format is locked down and un-alterable. You play it how they envisioned, or you don't play at all - the antithesis of the flexible appeal of PC gaming. Did a dev release a buggy game? Do they have no intention of fixing it? No problem, Durente or someone else will come along and fix it just for kicks. Oh no... it's a UWP. Now the devs won't fix it, and they won't let you try either.

I was more worried that UWP would be the norm for games before, but MS is screwing things a bit since Quantum Break for PC, so Valve got some room to breath. I've said before on this forum and people didn't believe on it: MS wants to put Valve down. Steam OS was a panic response to the biggest threat Valve has ever seen.

I know people really like Valve and Steam and they have their reasons. But MS has infinite money and, well, they own Windows. They can bribe publishers for exclusivity, put it right on the main menu on W10 or simply make Steam do not work correctly on Windows and blame Valve for it. It's like playing a soccer game with another team on their stadium, 90% of the fans against you and a corrupt referee. Damn it, they could go as far as press everyone to use UWP to pack apps and sell it exclusively on Windows Store, removing compatibility with Win32.

PC

Infinite compatibility, you can play every game from every generation without the "bc issue"
Free online, it's free, it's good.
Emulators, if you own the game, go and download an emulator and now you can play your favorite ps2, gamecube, wii, dreamcast, gameboy, ds, neogeo etc etc games with better performance and visuals.
Steam
controllers, you can use every controller ever created and mouse and keyboards
Interface variety, nothing better than mouse and keyboard, but also big picture mode if you want the console experience
customization, duh it's a pc.
excluding some atrocious ports, you are going to play the ultimate edition of every game, depending on your hardware of course.
MODS, also open platform means more developers and more games including shitty and great games.
cheap and even free games on a regular basis, today ubisoft gave me The Crew for free, it's not like I wanna play it but hey, it's free.

Consoles

Around the Network

Most of what I can think of has already been said. But I have a couple, I suppose.

PC:
- More varied control methods (controller, mouse, keyboard, etc.)
- More varied game genres due to the above point (point and click adventure, strategy, 4X, etc.)
- Thriving indie scene
- Customization within games. Prefer graphics over frame rate? Crank that shit! Prefer frame rate? Do the opposite.

Console:
- It's fun to have a massive jump in graphical capability every 5-6 years. Going from the PS2 to PS3 was a massive leap and it has a bit more of an impact, while with PC it's more gradual

Goodnightmoon said:
BasilZero said:

I can do this with PC too.

Because some folks can't seem to separate the computers we use at the office/school from the gaming computers at home. Their preconceptions cloud their judgement.

Goodnightmoon said:

Have you heard about wireless keyboard and wireless mouse? Problem solved.

And that's only if you are interested in online shooters really, I use the gamepad 90% of the time when playing on PC.

Yes, I know this new tech. I even have them! So, you put your keyboard on your lap and the mouse on your couch? Or buy one of that oversized and unconfortable lapboards? Don't make it like it is as confortable as grabbing a controller and just playing your game.

Of course it isn't an issue for other game genres, but we have to face it. Online shooter are by far the most popular genre today, so it is a factor that most people will consider. I'm showing what are the general problems people have, but we have minorities that won't have problems with it.

Pros console gaming: AAA exclusives, nothing on pc would make me ever switch permanently, not even if Jesus H. Christ built me a pc himself.

I have both, just laugh at those who limit themselves to 1 and then go on the web trying to make themselves feel better by bashing the other for fanaticism. It's called compensating lol.

Consoles:
☻Exclusives
☻Casual gaming on super comfy couch, especially with JRPG's
☻Free games, and legal too, via PS+
PCs:
☻Exclusives
☻Infinite Backward Compatibility
☻Fully customizable experience: Graphics, Sound, Mods, Peripherals, Display.
☻Bleeding edge graphics.
☻Much more Open Beta's, Closed Beta's; and Alpha's to try out.
☻The only place to go for a good strategy game.

☻Free online