By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - As a console gamer, I am starting to hate consoles *EDIT - now locked*

A while ago I made a thread discussing all the reasons I, a console gamer, admired PC gaming. And in case anyone is curious, here is the link-

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=218784&page=1

But now, I'm going a bit further than that. I am at the point where I actually feel like there are no benefits to consoles. Like gaming on a console is actually a punishment. Like maybe PC actually is the holy platform for gaming. So here is my next list- Everything bad about consoles, through the eyes of a dedicated console gamer.

Consoles are slow- "Consoles are much faster and easier to use than PC's"... yeah, if only we still lived in those times. If I am on my Wii U, or even Xbox One, and I wanted to go from playing a game, to watching Youtube videos, to using the internet browser, it could take a considerable amount of time. In the Wii U's case you can only run one application at a time so that would require suspending what you are currently doing and loading something entirely different. On PC, I can accomplish all those things nearly instantaneously. Hell, on PC I can do all 3 at the same time. Even swapping between one game and another, something consoles are made for, happens faster on a PC. My point being - using a console should not feel like a chore.

Paying for Online- Instead of delivering the same argument people have been dishing out for years, here is my unique story. I bought GTAV for my Xbox 360 around the time when it first came out. At the time, I had Xbox Live and could play it online. I really enjoyed it but I moved on eventually. And further down the line I cancelled my subscription to Xbox Live as well. Just this week a lot of the gaming groups I follow on facebook have been making a lot of GTA posts, making me feel like playing GTA Online again. but i cant... It was at this moment that I realized why Xbox Live really did suck. Online play should not be a subsciption, it a part of the game. i already bought the game so why can I not experience the online mode? imagine if Netflix worked like this. First you pay $60 just to see the Netflix library, then you pay a monthly fee to watch it. It sounds ridiculous, which it is. if the entire game was only playable through a subscription, then it would be more understandable but it isnt. 

Paying for content I already own- Xbox Live (and PS+ but i dont have that so just roll with it) bas a subsciption bonus that rewards all Xbox Live Gold members with 2 free games every month, 4 if they own a 360 and One, except not really. On Xbox 360, even to this day, if you got any Games With Gold games, you own them and can play them whenever you want. On Xbox One since my subsciption expired I now cannot play any of the Games With Gold games i was rewarded. It honestly feels like the most back-handed things ever since the main reason I got an Xbox One over a PS4 was because i already had Xbox One games that i got through GWG. It shouldnt be that hard for console developers to understand. If somebody buys something (in this case I bought the subscription and got the games from it) it becomes theirs, and the seller cant maintain control over it. Now imagine buying an Amazon Prime subscription and using it to get free shipping on a bunch of stuff. Now imagine your subsciption ending and an Amazon employee showing up at your door threatening to take your stuff unless you paid for standard shipping on everything you already got delivered. Meanwhile on PC, Ubisoft is currently giving away free games for their 30th anniversary. FREE. thats the end of it. other companies even give out games for free on PC sometimes, and if it is just a trial play that you will have to pay to play later, they make it VERY clear before you play it. They dont tell you that you own just to make you pay for it again.

Well, thats it. I could go off on other things like graphics, but this is specifically a list of things that make consoles unappealing. and console graphics are not that offputting. they are perfectly tolerable.

bottom line, i am seriously considering going purely PC. i would do it right now, but i need a new graphics card and have no idea which to get, or the money to buy one.

*EDIT*

this... this amazes me... i made this thread half an hour ago, and it was meant to be nothing more than a discussion about why i am starting to dislike consoles, with some very good points why. it only took 30 minutes for people to read it, misinterpret it, get easily offended, and have an admin take action against it... so yeah, thanks guys.

Around the Network

i doubt you are a console gamer

I made a thread back in April as well about how I felt like PC was becoming the best option for gaming with how the direction consoles are going this generation and the future of them with mid-gen upgrades and such.

I had a PS2, PS3, and I currently own a PS4 that I still love and use regularly right now but I don't see how anyone can deny that PC is becoming more and more apparent, especially this generation, that it is the best way to go than ever before. All the arguments that people would use such as "But building a good gaming PC costs thousands" have already been proven to be false as well considering there were articles when the PS4 and Xbox One came out that you could build a gaming PC for the same price as them that would be more powerful than them as well.  Consoles will still always be useful for their easiness to use and exclusives but those are the only 2 things I can think. 

Of course there will always be exclusives, but seeing as how Microsoft has this whole Windows 10 thing now and Sony putting things ike PS Now on PC as well, who knows how long it will be before we don't need any consoles to even play the exclusives anymore anyway considering that Sony and Microsoft are expanding into PC as well. 

Not saying consoles are pointless, like I said I still use my PS4 regularly and love it, but nobody can deny that with the direction consoles are going now that PC is the best option from here forward.

Ruler said:

what makes you say that?

Around the Network

Go buy yourself a powerful Laptop, turn it on, plug it into your TV, plug in any controller/Device you like, close the lid and enjoy PC gaming.
And you can take it anywhere with you.

Cool story..... I just wonder one thing...

Why do you or anyone feel the need to make a thread talking about how you feel something else is what everyone or you should be doing?

If you wanna game on PC then just do it already. If you want to game on consoles then fine.

These are all choices. if you feel the grass is greener on the other side, scale the fence.... you don't need to make a thread about it.

Ruler said:

Your avatar says it all & more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

There are reasons that both exist and there are reasons why neither are dead.

I think if you like PC better, you should certainly give it a go. PC has tons of advantages which people enjoy but make no mistake, there is a cost to those advantages.

And consoles have their own advantages. At the end of the day, both are great at what they do and its left to the users to choose which one they want to go with (or both in some cases).

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

FloatingWaffles said:

I made a thread back in April as well about how I felt like PC was becoming the best option for gaming with how the direction consoles are going this generation and the future of them with mid-gen upgrades and such.

I had a PS2, PS3, and I currently own a PS4 that I still love and use regularly right now but I don't see how anyone can deny that PC is becoming more and more apparent, especially this generation, that it is the best way to go than ever before. All the arguments that people would use such as "But building a good gaming PC costs thousands" have already been proven to be false as well considering there were articles when the PS4 and Xbox One came out that you could build a gaming PC for the same price as them that would be more powerful than them as well.  Consoles will still always be useful for their easiness to use and exclusives but those are the only 2 things I can think. 

Of course there will always be exclusives, but seeing as how Microsoft has this whole Windows 10 thing now and Sony putting things ike PS Now on PC as well, who knows how long it will be before we don't need any consoles to even play the exclusives anymore anyway considering that Sony and Microsoft are expanding into PC as well. 

Not saying consoles are pointless, like I said I still use my PS4 regularly and love it, but nobody can deny that with the direction consoles are going now that PC is the best option from here forward.

Answer this question..... honestly. 

Say you have $800 to spend on building a PC rig, and you get to te point where you are picking your GPU, there are tons of options..... would you go for a $600 GPU and use the remains $200 for cpu, ram, PSU, storage, case, controller/mouse+keyboard+OS..... ot would you go for a $200-$300 GPU?

If you can answer that question honestly, and you are ok with the choice you have made to build the gaming PC you could afford or at the very least get what you wanted.... then it means you should also understand the value and relevance of consoles. 

Unless of course in your world of choices a console just doesnt seem like just another gaming option.....