By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will PS5 have to be backwards compatible now?

Tagged games:

Hopefully, if not, I would be disappointed

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

If they stick with x86 and AMD chips, yes.

I think so yes. Personally I think that all consoles from now on (maybe excluding NX) will be fully backwards compatible. 10 years from now you can grab any PS4 disc, put it in your current-gen PlayStation and it will play the PS4Pro version of the game at 4K/60FPS, same goes for XB1Scorpio and the current-gen Xbox in 10 years. That's what I think will happen. Microsoft really seems focused on Backwards Compatibility for all their consoles from now on, and Sony will be forced to do the same.

malistix1985 said:
Normchacho said:
I don't think there's much of any doubt that the PS5 will be backwards compatible.

Actually, I wonder if it could be totally backwards compatible. Like, with every Playstation home console. It should be strong enough to just brute force the PS1-PS3. I don't know if they'd actually do it...but it would be great.

I doubt theyll do it, since they sell those games on PSN, and the ps2 games in PSN are upscaled (better) versions, they just want to gain that money from the old gens, but you are right from PS5 and onwards, we won't have to deal with that again.

There is a chance tough one of the future consoles might not have an optical drive anymore, probly not the ps5 but its always been a sollid theory that whatever happens on PC will eventually happen on consoles and all-digital has been a reality on PC for some time.

But I think thats the only chance for incompatibility I can think of.

I've had another thought.

My laptop doesn't have a disc drive. So, I went out and bought one that plugs in via USB. I can't think of any reason a driveless console couldn't do the same.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

I want to add PSP and Vita.

Around the Network

Should totally be thanks to the switch to x86. If not then it would set a bad image for them, and well you wouldn't be able to play all the games from the past gen iterations across a single system.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

I want to agree. But a 480 x 272 PSP game on a 4K TV would be nearly unplayable.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

malistix1985 said:
If it uses the X86 architecture, and this is like 99% sure, it should be backwards and forwards compatible, games should run better on the new hardware (or at least more stable and load faster) automatically because BC is not Emulated, like in many other cases in the past.

This, and I'll be expecting it. Not for me, but there are other gamers out there and they deserve this. 

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

And their disastrous library? Please... 

Normchacho said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

I want to agree. But a 480 x 272 PSP game on a 4K TV would be nearly unplayable.

It cannot be helped. Fate of all classics games.