By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Uncharted 4: A Thiefs End Upscaled to 4K via Xbox One S

Guitarguy said:

What % of Xbox One (slim and original) users would you think use the HDMI-in? I would say it is less than 10% personally.

I would have guessed higher, but it would only be a guess.  If you're right that it's that low, then why did Microsoft include the port in the Xbox One S, and why did they also add the IR blaster (that would have a lot less purpose if you aren't using the pass-through for your cable box)?  Seems to me that Microsoft's research deems it enough of a selling point.  *shrug*

Around the Network
scrapking said:

Guitarguy said:

What % of Xbox One (slim and original) users would you think use the HDMI-in? I would say it is less than 10% personally.

I would have guessed higher, but it would only be a guess.  If you're right that it's that low, then why did Microsoft include the port in the Xbox One S, and why did they also add the IR blaster (that would have a lot less purpose if you aren't using the pass-through for your cable box)?  Seems to me that Microsoft's research deems it enough of a selling point.  *shrug*

I could very well be wrong. Some guys that own an Xbox One S(like the forum member in this thread) didn't even know it still had a HDMI-in port. But that is not empirically evidence hehe. I have to hand it to Microsoft though(and I'm a Sony guy), hats off for keeping the optical port and including UHD Blu Ray playback. I'm tempted to get an Xbox One S just for the UHD blu ray alone....

I wish Microsoft would have never started to use the word "Upscale". That word has no meaning anymore.

At best up scaling makes it SEEM like the lower resolution is native. It doesn't make it look any better...

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Uncharted 4 looks that great on any 4K tv with an upscale, the One S isn't making it look any better than the tv already does.

Preston Scott

And now the Xbox One S has become a PlayStation peripheral.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

That is silly.

That same Youtuber has plenty of games with 1080p output setting (letting the TV upscale) and 4K Output(letting the XBOS Upscale) and the difference is substantial .

Console outputting 1080p the TV does a terrible job fitting the image properly, looks stretched even though its scaled by the TV. The XBOs S scales accordingly for 4K and has a sharper IQ as a result.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

Bandorr said:
pbroy said:

Read my post

I did, it made little sense to me. Then again most of this makes no sense to me.

The TV has upscale, but also the xbox one S has upscaling. And I just found an article saying that the Xbone S pass-through does not support 4k. So I don't have any clue if that maters or not.

The XBox One S hdmi in is a hdmi 1.4 port. It does not accept 4K signals afaik. So yes you can hook up your old ps4, can't hook up your 4K sky box. Plus who knows what happens with HDR output from the ps4, probably not accepted or recognized. And ofcourse the XBox One S upscaler adds lag too.
For a cheap 4K tv you want to watch 1080p content on, I guess it's a good solution. (using the hdmi in)

In the case of a PS4/PS4 Slim....

The Input on the XBO S doesn't need to add 4K, since the image is not 4K and since the output stage is what upscales the image.

HDR is HDR, if Ps4 can pass HDR over hdmi 1.4, then the input on the XBO S is HDMI 1.4, so you get 4K upscale + HDR as the output on a title that supports HDR.

Lag? In this case usage: The input lag is preferable thru the console outputting a 4K format than BOTH the input lag + display lag of letting the HDTV process the image real-time . LCD's already have lag simply displaying a native signal, upscaling adds several frames of lag on its own compounding it.

Upscaling is always preferable before it hits the display. you want the display to simply display a native image.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S