By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: My Wife Plays on Smartphone, Not Nintendo; Kids First Game Machine is Smartphone.

Some kinda fun quotes from Mr. Miyamoto in a Verge interview:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/8/12848458/nintendo-miyamoto-interview-super-mario-run-iphone-consoles-games

"It’s a little bit less of my own experience and more of me witnessing other people," Miyamoto said. "A perfect example is my wife. When I give her video games or game systems, she doesn’t play a whole lot. But I watch her on her smartphone, and she does a lot of those types of things on her smartphone."

On kids:

If Mario is going to live forever (or at least longer than the rest of us), he’s going to have to be a part of the lives of people born well after the 1980s. Miyamoto noted that there was a point in time when "[Nintendo’s] hardware system was really the first device that kids would interact with, and that’s starting to shift." The first device kids interact with now, he says? Their parent’s smartphone. This notion of the smartphone "being the first place this kids are encountering games, is what helped us to decide to bring this to smartphones," Miyamoto said.

No shit that's "starting to shift", lol. 

Around the Network

Better late than never?

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

They're also playing on ps4 and xbox one so nintendo if you wouldnt mind.

Wow, such traitors.

I think this is going to be philosophy of the NX too ... it's goal is to get those kids who begin to play on smartphone and tablet and try to get at least of portion of them to come to NX by having a portable first form factor that's similar to a tablet and maybe can even run smartphone apps itself.

That's the target audience I think.

It's not about trying to dominate the living room or beat Sony/MS or whatever. It's about adjusting to how kids play today. 

Casual types like Mr. Miyamoto's wife will continue to play on their phone no matter what, don't think Nintendo will press to hard for them either. It's about getting the kids on board because kids are willing to learn deeper game play mechanics, many casuals are not. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

I think this is going to be philosophy of the NX too ... it's goal is to get those kids who begin to play on smartphone and tablet and try to get at least of portion of them to come to NX by having a portable first form factor that's similar to a tablet and maybe can even run smartphone apps itself.

It's not about trying to dominate the living room or beat Sony/MS or whatever. 

Like you said to Miyamoto, "no shit lol"

I don't think anyone expected Nintendo to dominate the living room, at least not since like the early 90's lol

Slimebeast said:
Soundwave said:

It's not about trying to dominate the living room or beat Sony/MS or whatever. 

I don't think anyone expected Nintendo to dominate the living room, at least not since like the early 90's lol

I don't really even think the console functions of the NX are going to be the primary focus, they're more like a bonus. Mobile chips have gotten to the point where they can produce graphics beyond a Wii U, so adding the TV out functionality makes sense and it saves Nintendo the hassle of having to make an entire console platform that only like 15 million Nintendo fans are interested in. 

They need to maintain their 3DS base and attract some (they're never going to match smartphone or tablet exactly) of those kids playing on iOS/Android to graduate up to an NX. 

I think Nintendo is really in touch with reality now. It smells huge success, everything they do now. The mobile strat, partnering with Apple, the hybrid NX, how they designed the new Zelda. Right now they make all the right decisions, they do everything as well as you could possibly do if you are Nintendo. It screams success.

Slimebeast said:
I think Nintendo is really in touch with reality now. It smells huge success, everything they do now. The mobile strat, partnering with Apple, the hybrid NX, how they designed the new Zelda. Right now they make all the right decisions, they do everything as well as you could possibly do if you are Nintendo. It screams success.

This is why I think NX has to be able to run smart apps. They're not going to get far if they force kids to choose between their tablet and NX; NX needs to accomodate the apps that those kids are already playing (Angry Birds, Pokemon Go, apps like Snapchat) and *then* add Nintendo gaming into their diet. 

If they get stubborn and try to tell kids to only accept their walled ecosystem and forget about those other smart apps ... they're going to get themselves into trouble again. 

How Nintendo does that ... an Android fork or a custom Nintendo OS that still can somehow run mobile apps or something that allows mobile app makers to port their app very, very, very simply, I don't know. They need to figure that out though.

Soundwave said:
Slimebeast said:

I don't really even think the console functions of the NX are going to be the primary focus, they're more like a bonus. Mobile chips have gotten to the point where they can produce graphics beyond a Wii U, so adding the TV out functionality makes sense and it saves Nintendo the hassle of having to make an entire console platform that only like 15 million Nintendo fans are interested in. 

They need to maintain their 3DS base and attract some (they're never going to match smartphone or tablet exactly) of those kids playing on iOS/Android to graduate up to an NX. 

Yes. You have been right with your analysis of new Nintendo strategy from the beginning.

The hybrid NX is a genious design, if their thinking is such, that the TV functionality is a (relatively cheap) bonus.

I forgot again, is the Tegra 1 as powerful as a Wii U?

If it is I think it's perfectly enough graphical quality for Nintendo games for now.

Also, their presence on mobile could attract smartphone guys to migrate to the NX, if the NX becomes talked about in mainstream media and if it's able to conquer some mindshare.