By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Galaxy Note 7 Sales Halted

Odd that wasn't picked up during their tests, least they are being upfront about it fast. Then again they can probably imagine the lawsuit if one of those explodes in someones pocket...

Around the Network
Libara said:
Odd that wasn't picked up during their tests, least they are being upfront about it fast. Then again they can probably imagine the lawsuit if one of those explodes in someones pocket...

It's hard to pick it up in tests... They might only test hundreds/thousands of devices... Not millions.

Then they might source a component from multiple different companies to help minimize distruptions in the supply chain.

And sometimes it's not untill a device is in a specific geographical location that issues might arise. (I.E. Like in the middle of Australia during summer with 50'C temperatures?)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Zoombael said:

Why? What's wrong with it?

Nothing that can't be fixed with some household items...

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't help a phone with exploding batteries.

Pemalite said:

The irony is... There are alternatives to Aluminum and Glass.
Personally I prefer the rubbery matte polymers, gives you great grip... Doesn't look like garbage as it never picks up fingerprints or scratches easily... Allows for wireless charging... Is cheap and lightweight... And can withstand impacts.

a) Sure there is but is it as cheap while feeling as premium? Cause thats what phone manufacturers need in order to sell... And if Samsung went with rubbery polymers, reviewers will critize it for not feeling "premium" regardless of how durable it is. Since Android is a competitive market, every phone manufacturers require something that is cheap while "feeling" premium. Oh and there is shatter resistant glass which does protect against drops such as in the Note 7 so...

It's far from strong enough. I had my Galaxy Note 5 for two days. TWO DAYS. And it slipped off my desk (Other materials tend not to be as slippery) from about waist height.
It cracked the back, bounced and cracked the screen.
$400 AUD later and a replacement of both, I was back in action.

And you try to convince me it's strong enough? Far from it, if it was my old Nokia Lumia 920... It would have survived the fall without a scratch.

Again, there are alternatives to both Aluminum and Glass, Aluminum though wouldn't have cost me an extra $400 AUD.

b) Well, I did say "strong enough to withstand most basic tests." Everyones milage will always vary... Drops are always a gamble regardless of the phone unless you have phones such as the Galaxy Note 7 which is built to withstand drops due to its shatter resistant glass. Even alunimum phones have issues such as the iphone 6 plus bending in people's pocket. Heck, if the aluminum phone drops in the wrong way, the glass in front of it will break. Not trying to say that Glass is stronger than aluminum/rubbry plastic but I think the best way to go is shatter resistant glass.

So you like the aesthetics of the glass, but then decide to hide it in a cover anyway? Where is the sense in that? I never had my Nokia Lumia 920 in a cover, because even when I dropped it, it always survived... And I had that phone for years.
Plus, having a case on it makes the phone awkward to mount to my Bike as I have to take the phone out of the case all the time to fit it in the waterproof enclosure.

c) There are see through cases... And if Samsung continues their current trend, their future phones should be water resistant. The S7 and Note 7 has some of the best water resistance in the market which far surprasses most others like Sony. So if they do continue it, that is another reason to get a Galaxy.

My Lumia 920 had wireless charging a good 3-4 years ago, loved it. - There are other materials you can build these devices from where you can retain such functionality.

d) Yea but most wireless charging phones according to sites require a special backplate or something. There are only a few materials that can actually work without having anything extra while giving a "premium" feel. So Shatter Resistant glass is the best of both worlds imo.

PS: Idk how you do ur quotey thing so...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

Obviously something like a HTC 10 will be able to withstand more than a s7 but thats why I have a case on it. The main reason I like it tho is that it allows wireless charging. My car for example as a wireless charger so I just put my Galaxy S7 on it and bam, it starts charging. Or if I go to starbucks, they also got wireless chargers too! Its just more convenient imo and it makes them stand out from every other phone in the market.

Wow, sounds so convinient. Don't think I've ever noticed a wireless charger anywhere before though. 

Does charging your phone wirelessly as fast as plugging your phone and charging it? 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:

Captain_Yuri said:

Obviously something like a HTC 10 will be able to withstand more than a s7 but thats why I have a case on it. The main reason I like it tho is that it allows wireless charging. My car for example as a wireless charger so I just put my Galaxy S7 on it and bam, it starts charging. Or if I go to starbucks, they also got wireless chargers too! Its just more convenient imo and it makes them stand out from every other phone in the market.

Wow, sounds so convinient. Don't think I've ever noticed a wireless charger anywhere before though. 

Does charging your phone wirelessly as fast as plugging your phone and charging it? 

Nahh, I would say it takes 2-3 times longer. But its for the convience factor and my car does have USB ports if I need something with a bit more juice.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
MoHasanie said:

Nahh, I would say it takes 2-3 times longer. But its for the convience factor and my car does have USB ports if I need something with a bit more juice.

It does sound useful, but I guess trying to use your phone whilst it's wirelessly charging would be a bit annoying. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:
Captain_Yuri said:

It does sound useful, but I guess trying to use your phone whilst it's wirelessly charging would be a bit annoying. 

Neh. It depends really. Like things such as text messaging and phone calls are paired with my car so those shows up on my car's screen and I can reply with speech to text if I want and control with my car's buttons on the steering wheel. If I want to IM with Discord/Skype or browse the web, it can get a little annoying since it wont change when I take it off. But at the same time, I dont have to fiddle around with wires when I want to charge it so it keeps my car a bit more clean looking. So there are trade offs.

One cool thing though is most affordable cars these days have Android Auto so it is getting even more convient!

iron_megalith said:

100 mAh less than the S7 Edge+ must be the one that caused this. :P

I don't like Apple but Samsung can go screw themselves with what they turned the Note Series to. I was looking to upgrade my Note 4 which I was patiently holding off from making an S7 upgrade. The disappointment was surreal.

If there's only a high spec phone that matches the Note's S Pen. I'd totally forget about Samsung completely. They're going full Apple with their approaches with Style over Substance for the Note series.

if you enjoy the note 4 a lot, stick with it. If you want to buy a new note so badly, get the note 5 over the note 7. The note 5 wasn't $1000, won't explode, and is barely weaker than the note 7(actually runs better; note 7 is truly a mess).

I got the note 5 a few months after it released; got it for 650. it should be 600 or less now(even less for refurbished)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Captain_Yuri said:

a) Sure there is but is it as cheap while feeling as premium? Cause thats what phone manufacturers need in order to sell... And if Samsung went with rubbery polymers, reviewers will critize it for not feeling "premium" regardless of how durable it is. Since Android is a competitive market, every phone manufacturers require something that is cheap while "feeling" premium. Oh and there is shatter resistant glass which does protect against drops such as in the Note 7 so...

Well. Glass doesn't feel premium (Aka. Expensive) to me, it feels fragile.
Of course using a rubbery polymer was an example.
Hows about Magnesium? Carbon? There are tons of composites with various textures.

Captain_Yuri said:

b) Well, I did say "strong enough to withstand most basic tests." Everyones milage will always vary... Drops are always a gamble regardless of the phone unless you have phones such as the Galaxy Note 7 which is built to withstand drops due to its shatter resistant glass. Even alunimum phones have issues such as the iphone 6 plus bending in people's pocket. Heck, if the aluminum phone drops in the wrong way, the glass in front of it will break. Not trying to say that Glass is stronger than aluminum/rubbry plastic but I think the best way to go is shatter resistant glass.

The Note 7's glass whilst it may be more durable to drops, isn't drop-proof.
The glass also seems to be more scratch-prone, don't put the phone in your pocket with your keys.

The iPhone 6's "bending" issue is due to Apple's design, not the material in question (Although they did use a cheaper/lower quality Aluminum before)
Aluminum can be fantastic, if I can have a bike frame made of that material and ride down the side of a mountain without an issue doing 100km/h or more, I'm sure a properly designed device can survive being in your pocket.

To me having a device that is prone to being dropped made of glass was unacceptable in the iPhone 4 in 2011... And it's unacceptable in the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 in 2016.

Captain_Yuri said:

c) There are see through cases... And if Samsung continues their current trend, their future phones should be water resistant. The S7 and Note 7 has some of the best water resistance in the market which far surprasses most others like Sony. So if they do continue it, that is another reason to get a Galaxy.

I have a "see-through" case for my Note 5, you are still hiding the design of the device and loosing any textured feel for it.

And if I want my phone to be water proof, I'll buy a a ruggerdised phone that is built for harsh environments, I want something that can survive... I dunno. A slip off my desk or keys in my pocket.
I'm spending over $1,200 AUD on these devices , it would be great if they could last several years like my Lumia 920.

Captain_Yuri said:

d) Yea but most wireless charging phones according to sites require a special backplate or something. There are only a few materials that can actually work without having anything extra while giving a "premium" feel. So Shatter Resistant glass is the best of both worlds imo.

My Lumia 920 released years ago, never required a special backplate.
The shatter proof glass can still break.

Again, there are other materials that are more durable, look better (I.E. Don't attract scratches/cracks and fingerprints) and allow for Wireless charging.

hershel_layton said:

if you enjoy the note 4 a lot, stick with it. If you want to buy a new note so badly, get the note 5 over the note 7. The note 5 wasn't $1000, won't explode, and is barely weaker than the note 7(actually runs better; note 7 is truly a mess).

I got the note 5 a few months after it released; got it for 650. it should be 600 or less now(even less for refurbished)

The Note 4 does have a few advantages over the Note 5 though like Removable battery and MicroSD support.
The Note 7 at-least gaves us the MicroSD support though.

Performance wise, the Note 5 will handle everything in the Android ecosystem outside of various stressfull benchmarks.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--