By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should the voting system be removed from the News section? or at least the down voting??.

but I don't want to miss this feeling when my downvote gets a comment to +5

was is das falsch oder wie?

Around the Network
zero129 said:
LivingMetal said:

Nope.  I never said that.  The context here is the reaction of the person GETTING THE DOWN VOTES.

If you're crying over receiving down votes, you need a life.  And if that doesn't help, seek professional help if not medication.  Receiving down or up votes on a website never dictates who and what I am.  Let me teach you a couple of facts of life.  We as individual members of the human race tend to think that we are always right, and NOT everyone is always going to agree with you.  And if a person opts to express their opinion on a website via a up/down voting system, you either take it or leave it.  It doesn't mean the system is perfect, but it also doesn't mean that you and anyone else who shares the same point of view should be denied down votes and are entitled to up votes.

If you truely believe in what you are saying and you are secure enough to stand by it, ANY kind of voting up and/or down system should be a ZERO issue.  No pun intended.

Well you did say its in the reaction and this is also why its pointless to talk about being insecure as it can be used form both sides to try validate the argument...

I just clariified myself very clearly.  Now, I don't expect you or anyone else to necessarily agree with me because we all have different point of views.  But since you will not accept my clarification as my point of view, have resorted to putting word into my mouth, and then argue against those words as if I had said it (which I didn't), all you're doing now is creating a false argument to front your point of view.  In a nutshell, you created a strawman you can easily burn.  So keep making and burning all the strawmen you need to keep you warm.  Because if receiving down votes make you feel cold, disapproved, and invalidated, you need all the warmth that you can get.

Sprash said:

but I don't want to miss this feeling when my downvote gets a comment to +5

was is das falsch oder wie?

I need this one for my NSFW Swimsuit thread!

Supporters perk give them more votes so it doesn't really matter all that much, regardless :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

LivingMetal said:
Zkuq said:
Downvoting should be removed. It's basically a popularity contest where people downvote others just because they disagree, not because the comment itself was bad. I don't necessarily mind sorting comments by how many votes they've received, but when it's essentially a popularity system, it doesn't make much sense to hide the comments that aren't popular enouh. It's essentially hiding unpopular comments even when they're good, and I don't think hiding any good comments is good for discussion.

Actually I find that when there is a, let's say, -12 voted comment, I'm attracted to it more than a +7 comment.  It might be "hidden," but it isn't stopping anyone from reading and commenting on it (and voting it down even more).  :P

Actually it does stop people from commenting. Or, to be precise, it seems to stop the poster of the original comment from commenting any further, but everyone else (?) can comment. Make an unpopular comment? Nope, can't defend it. I did that mistake just recently, was essentially accussed of double standards, and had no chance to defend myself (I have no double standards, ever, and if I have, I try to adjust my views so I don't in the future). (Although I suspect even more of my downvotes were from simply presenting an unpopular opinion than perceived double standards.)

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
LivingMetal said:

Actually I find that when there is a, let's say, -12 voted comment, I'm attracted to it more than a +7 comment.  It might be "hidden," but it isn't stopping anyone from reading and commenting on it (and voting it down even more).  :P

Actually it does stop people from commenting. Or, to be precise, it seems to stop the poster of the original comment from commenting any further, but everyone else (?) can comment. Make an unpopular comment? Nope, can't defend it. I did that mistake just recently, was essentially accussed of double standards, and had no chance to defend myself (I have no double standards, ever, and if I have, I try to adjust my views so I don't in the future). (Although I suspect even more of my downvotes were from simply presenting an unpopular opinion than perceived double standards.)

It doesn't stop me.  Yes, I'm speaking for myself, but one's expression of opposing opinion for whatever reason should not be cause for lack of response from the opposing party.  People are going to think what they are going to think.  That's life, and it should be less of an issue on something as ultimately trivial on a gaming site.  Again speaking for myself, I've walked away from certain arguments/debates because the person with an opposite POV has made it more of a personal matter by refusing to agree to disagree.  Basically if you want to be an asshole, go ahead and stink because that will speak for itself.

If nothing else, the recent VGChartz news of Sony raising the Plus price is a good example of how well the system can work.  I honestly think that the OPs intent is Xbox promotion.  But in the news I'm referring to, those who have voiced their discontent over the price increase received upvotes while comments that didn't constructively contribute to the discussion received a downvote.  The system itself is fine as it is.

LivingMetal said:
Zkuq said:

1. It doesn't stop me.  Yes, I'm speaking for myself, but one's expression of opposing opinion for whatever reason should not be cause for lack of response from the opposing party.  People are going to think what they are going to think.  That's life, and it should be less of an issue on something as ultimately trivial on a gaming site.  Again speaking for myself, I've walked away from certain arguments/debates because the person with an opposite POV has made it more of a personal matter by refusing to agree to disagree.  Basically if you want to be an asshole, go ahead and stink because that will speak for itself.

2. If nothing else, the recent VGChartz news of Sony raising the Plus price is a good example of how well the system can work.  I honestly think that the OPs intent is Xbox promotion.  But in the news I'm referring to, those who have voiced their discontent over the price increase received upvotes while comments that didn't constructively contribute to the discussion received a downvote.  The system itself is fine as it is.

1. Of course it shouldn't be a reason for not responding, especially since one party might not even know the other party isn't able to respond. However, removing the ability to comment further from the original commenter is not good either. There are other ways to handle with bad comments, such as reporting (if there was something against the rules), discussing (if it makes sense), or just simply ignoring it (e.g. if, like you said, one party has refused to agree to disagree even though that's obviously the right thing to do).

2. Instances where the system work aren't necessarily enough to prove the system is good though. If there's enough instances where the system doesn't work, the instances where it does work aren't necessarily enough to counter the ones where it doesn't. Ultimately I guess it's up to each person to decide whether the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Personally I think there's so many instances where the system doesn't work that whatever value it adds in some cases is lost due to the number of cases where it doesn't.

The problem comes from using the downvote button for both disagreeing and marking an outright bad comment. The system assumes a comment is bad because it receives a lot of downvotes when in reality a large number of downvotes often (but of course not always) means disagreement instead of a bad comment. The problem would be solved by having two 'negative' buttons: 'disagree' and bad 'comment'. I've seen something like that being used somewhere, although I don't know how well it works there. It's not ideal though, because it makes the user experience slightly more difficult. Some services avoid the problem simply by having an upvote system only.

This has probably already been said, but supporters shouldn't get more votes, and they (we) especially shouldn't get more down votes.

Depends on whether the system is as the same as I remember it before. It was kinda flawed because troll downvotes.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Zkuq said:
LivingMetal said:

1. It doesn't stop me.  Yes, I'm speaking for myself, but one's expression of opposing opinion for whatever reason should not be cause for lack of response from the opposing party.  People are going to think what they are going to think.  That's life, and it should be less of an issue on something as ultimately trivial on a gaming site.  Again speaking for myself, I've walked away from certain arguments/debates because the person with an opposite POV has made it more of a personal matter by refusing to agree to disagree.  Basically if you want to be an asshole, go ahead and stink because that will speak for itself.

2. If nothing else, the recent VGChartz news of Sony raising the Plus price is a good example of how well the system can work.  I honestly think that the OPs intent is Xbox promotion.  But in the news I'm referring to, those who have voiced their discontent over the price increase received upvotes while comments that didn't constructively contribute to the discussion received a downvote.  The system itself is fine as it is.

1. Of course it shouldn't be a reason for not responding, especially since one party might not even know the other party isn't able to respond. However, removing the ability to comment further from the original commenter is not good either. There are other ways to handle with bad comments, such as reporting (if there was something against the rules), discussing (if it makes sense), or just simply ignoring it (e.g. if, like you said, one party has refused to agree to disagree even though that's obviously the right thing to do).

2. Instances where the system work aren't necessarily enough to prove the system is good though. If there's enough instances where the system doesn't work, the instances where it does work aren't necessarily enough to counter the ones where it doesn't. Ultimately I guess it's up to each person to decide whether the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Personally I think there's so many instances where the system doesn't work that whatever value it adds in some cases is lost due to the number of cases where it doesn't.

The problem comes from using the downvote button for both disagreeing and marking an outright bad comment. The system assumes a comment is bad because it receives a lot of downvotes when in reality a large number of downvotes often (but of course not always) means disagreement instead of a bad comment. The problem would be solved by having two 'negative' buttons: 'disagree' and bad 'comment'. I've seen something like that being used somewhere, although I don't know how well it works there. It's not ideal though, because it makes the user experience slightly more difficult. Some services avoid the problem simply by having an upvote system only.

The system is assuming NOTHING.  The problem is human nature.  Systemwise, you currently have the option to vote and/or report.  There is NO WAY to accurately account for human intent and behavior in a voting system such as the one on this site.  And what's to stop someone from abusing the "two 'negative' buttons" system you proposed?  Nothing.  Then, you're back at square -1.  :p