By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Hynad said:
Frank_kc said:

We are not few by the way, I will be starting an online petition soon to boycott the new PS4 slim for removing the Optical output.

Seriously, a petition... I'll refrain from commenting about that. And I think you should refrain from venting more about this.

I know right! Somebody's mad!

"guys guys sign this petition, PS4 Slim as no optical port"

"just buy the current PS4"

"No"

"Why not?"

"Because I don't want a PS4"

Around the Network
Frank_kc said:

Barley anyone on earth use it? If you dont use it, then it doesnt mean that no one the earth use it. I would suggest that you check the NeoGaf thread about the new slim and see that almost someone raises the issue of optical in almost every page in the thread. Sony just made many devices used by gamers obsolete without taking into consideration the following:

- The world economy is not at its best, people can't keep changing things for Sony to save money

- A new Neo coming, needing a new 4k TV, and then you have to pay for VR, and then you may want to replace your surround system since optical port is removed. Converters doesnt typically give the same audio quality.

Oh pls, not a lot of people use an optical pprt anymore. I for one know i havent since like 2006. And these days there are so many options out there. If you must use an optical port, which isn't even the best way to carry proper audio in all honesty considering we have HDMI cables, then you can buy a HDMI/Audi splitter box. They cost as little as $10.

Or get an OG PS4. I can pretty much guarantee you that people are more interested in it being cheaper than it having an optical output. All that aside, let's not kid ourselves here..... anyone that say they aren't buying a console because it lacks an optical output, was never going to buy that console to begin with. 

JRPGfan said:

A petiton because it lacks a feature that very few people use?

It was probably cut to save every penny they could, because their goal is to get its costs down as much as possible, so it can retail at a lower price.

I think thats kinda silly.. anyways there are solutions to the issue:
get one of these:

So you are ok with passing the cost of the converter to the gamer.....isnt that anti gamer practice and destroys for the gamers thing that Sony is bragging about all the time?

On a second note: how would I able to connect my PS4 to my surround system without a converter? I only have one HDMI port in my surround system and it is connected to TV?

Frank_kc said:

So you are ok with passing the cost of the converter to the gamer.....isnt that anti gamer practice and destroys for the gamers thing that Sony is bragging about all the time?

On a second note: how would I able to connect my PS4 to my surround system without a converter? I only have one HDMI port in my surround system and it is connected to TV?

You reslly need to drop this thing. Let's be honest here..... if sony can come in at $250 or a little more and it's all because they made little cuts like these, they will be doing more "for the gamers" than if they still put in a port that a very niche group of people still use. And as it's been shown, there are options. And it's simple; you want your optical port, buy the more expensive PS4. You want the cheaper one? then you should be ok that certain things were some to make it cheaper. It's not rocket science. You want one that has 4k buy the premium one. Or you know what? just buy an XB1and save us all the trouble. 

Ok so I've done a little bit of digging. I know the guy said no optical audio but he could of just missed it. Somebody drew attention to that yellow triangle. I thought it looked like a warning symbol so I google imaged optical audio warning label. This is what it returned

Looks very similar to the one on back of PS4 Slim. Make of it what you will!

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Frank_kc said:

You reslly need to drop this thing. Let's be honest here..... if sony can come in at $250 or a little more and it's all because they made little cuts like these, they will be doing more "for the gamers" than if they still put in a port that a very niche group of people still use. And as it's been shown, there are options. And it's simple; you want your optical port, buy the more expensive PS4. You want the cheaper one? then you should be ok that certain things were some to make it cheaper. It's not rocket science. You want one that has 4k buy the premium one. Or you know what? just buy an XB1and save us all the trouble. 

We are trying to have some civilized discussion here, no need to brush off.  At least, the SB1 S has an optical output for sake of not getting people electronics "bought only within a few years"  obsolete.

SWORDF1SH said:

Ok so I've done a little bit of digging. I know the guy said no optical audio but he could of just missed it. Somebody drew attention to that yellow triangle. I thought it looked like a warning symbol so I google imaged optical audio warning label. This is what it returned

Good catch. Looking at it, that triangle does look like that. I think we may have solved this mystery together.

It looks like a square Oreo without the cream filling.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Obviously Sony leaked it.

thismeintiel said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Good catch. Looking at it, that triangle does look like that. I think we may have solved this mystery together.

Talking to others they are adamant that the slim as been thoroughly checked. I inclined to agree since it'll be an odd place to put a port and it's directly above the hdd so it could be related to the hdd's laser because of OTT safety laws.