By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will NX get all three Super Mario games?

Megaoverlord12 said:
JWeinCom said:

Indeed.  Especially Galaxy 2 which moved even farther away.  There are relatively few levels where you have to explore or find a star in an obscure place.  Way more of an obstacle course style game.  Although, the green stars in Galaxy 2 do provide a more 64 like experience.

I'd really like them to shift *slightly* more towards 64 for the next game.  Not because I necessarily prefer that style, but since it's been over a decade since we've really had one.  Hopefully Yooka-Laylee will scratch that itch a bit.

I agree. While I think I'd say 3D World is my favorite Mario, I'd like another more explorative one. And not in the BS green star kind of explorative.

Gonna have to disagree with you on that one.  3D World is probably my least favorite of the 3D Mario games.  It was an incredibly well made game, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it just wasn't nearly as ambitious as the others.  I can see though how someone would enjoy it the best, if they played a lot of multiplayer.

I liked the green stars too.  Not the best thing ever, but a really good post game bonus.  Much better than having to play Galaxy 1 over as Luigi.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Megaoverlord12 said:

I agree. While I think I'd say 3D World is my favorite Mario, I'd like another more explorative one. And not in the BS green star kind of explorative.

Gonna have to disagree with you on that one.  3D World is probably my least favorite of the 3D Mario games.  It was an incredibly well made game, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it just wasn't nearly as ambitious as the others.  I can see though how someone would enjoy it the best, if they played a lot of multiplayer.

I liked the green stars too.  Not the best thing ever, but a really good post game bonus.  Much better than having to play Galaxy 1 over as Luigi.

I can see where'd you say that, but ambition counts very little for me. It might help in my case that I haven't played every 2D Mario beforehand, but I'll take polish and focus over ambition any day. I feel the need to point out that I greatly enjoyed each and every 3D Mario. 3D World just felt the most focused on simple fun to me. Not to disrespect Sunshine or the Galaxy games in any way; 3D World didn't have any sort of crutch to lean on, no water jetpack or gravity physics, so it had to have extremely solid level design to impress. Most of Sunshine and Galaxy's levels are extremely well designed (more Galaxy than Sunshine), but 3D World just felt more fun to me.

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

zippy said:
zorg1000 said:

Mario Maker is not a substitute for a built from the ground up 2D Mario.

There is plenty they can do with 2D Mario, the "NEW" series is no longer new so they need to switch things up going forward. The DS version was great because it was the first original 2D Mario in over a decade, the Wii version introduced 4 player coop but the 3DS/Wii U versions were pretty bog standard sequels.

Things like new artstyle, new music, new interesting worlds, new powerups, new enemies (someone other than Bowser & co.), new playable characters (Bowser would be neat) can make a 2D Mario feel fresh.

I think 2D Mario has run its cause for the time being. Nintendo should give it a break for a while until people are thirsty for a new 2D outing. After the influx of the New super Mario bros games and Mario maker I think there is 2D Mario fatigue. other than a new coat of paint or a new playable character I really dont think Nintendo can do much more. Not that its a bad thing, as the games are of the highest quality and dont need reinvention, they just need a break. 

2D Mario hasnt run its course, NSMB has.

Like I said, a game with a new artstyle, new main enemy, new worlds, new playable characters, new powerups, etc. can make a 2D Mario very desirable.

Besides NSMB2 sold over 10 million & NSMBU sold over 5 million so its kinda ridiculous to say there is 2D Mario fatigue.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

for the sake of argument, I do think so since there should be a Galaxy 3

- Mario Maker 2/NSMB
- Galaxy 3
- 3D World 2

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Paperboy_J said:
They should make an all new one. Maybe a Mario over-the-shoulder view (just kidding but that would be interesting haha).

Sunshine actually sort of does this when you press the Y button  to aim FLUDD better. It's not intense as Resident Evil 4+ though

Around the Network

To answer that we'd need to know if Nintendo even sees it as a three seperate series. I'll bet they consider 3D Land n World to be just as much 3D Mario as Galaxy n Sunshine.

Mario is the last Nintendo franchise I care about.  I got a WiiU 2 Boxing Days ago in anticipation of the Mario games - but they underwhelmed me.  The first 2 platformers were ok (sorry, I'm not treating the Luigi treatment as it's own game) and Mario Kart 8 was ok, but nothing fantastic.  I didn't bother with Super Smash or Mario Maker as I don't care for the genres.

I'm not sure I'm getting an NX.  I might be tired of Mario to buy a console for.  Although, if they go 3rd party for my Xbox One - I'd probably be all over a Mario platformer.

I sure hope not. I liked it better when it was just one type of Mario and it released just once a gen, or twice. Too much of anything is a bad thing and Mario is no exception.

JRPGfan said:
JWeinCom said:
Isometric and 3D are kind of redundant. I don't think they're distinct enough to make 2 of them on the same platform.

Then "3D World" type one needs to go away forever.

Galaxy / mario64 where much better.

if only they manage to implement a good multiplayer in a true 3D mario like galaxy or 64, id agree.

3d world shines on mltiplayer, imo. that why it is still needed.

I'm hoping to see all three kinds or Mario! I do absolutely NOT wanna see two games from each kind of Mario game, that's too much. i want one 2D Mario (where they abandon the New-series and shake things up), a 3D exploration Mario (like Mario 64) and a 3D Land/World Mario. That would be awesome!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.