By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - July 2016 NPD Thread! Hardware and software up!

ArchangelMadzz said:
RolStoppable said:

Players =/= customers. That's a crucial difference.

For a company like Nintendo who has so many highly regarded IPs, there's more money to be made as a console manufacturer than as a third party.

That is very true, and is great. Well it would be if Nintendo were making it. 

Sony are making more money as a manufacturer than they would be going third party. Nintendo probably aren't in that boat. They're currently making these AAA console titles and selling to 13 million potential users because they're having trouble getting people to buy their hardware. Games are no problem, everyone loves nintendo games. It's the hardware that is very expensive to R&D and produce. When they can elimate that completely and sell to an audience 10x bigger.

We'll see what hapens with the NX of course.

I love how you make an asinine argument based on ONE Nintendo console that is heavily regarded (even by its producers) as flawed in conception and marketing.

The Wii U is NOT the norm, and the 3DS indicates that. The market is still for them, and the casuals still love Nintendo stuff. its just a matter of making a logical system, either something fun and new OR something more streamlined.

Also you seem to have a flawed line of thinking that harrdware sales always equal profit. During the PS2 era, in which the system BROKE RECORDS, not only did Sony lose money somehow in some years BUT Nintendo made more profit from the GAMECUBE.

The point is that hardware numbers alone don't automatically equate to success.

The odds are Nintendo's next home console does massively better than the Wii U. Until the Wii U every Nintendo console fairly easily broke 20 million. And their handhelds always do well.

You seriously don't understand how much money Nintendo has made in the past from things like accessories and (frankly) gimmicks. They excel at it and they're not going to suddenly stop.

going third party equals splitting your software profits and being more constrained. for a company like Nintendo with a kajillion popular IPs its just not necessary or logical. I mean Nintendo on their own probably have collectively as many well known characters/games than Microsoft/Sony combined.

the Wii U generation is the only time in which Nintendo has ever had periods where they weren't making money. You don't flip the script when like 2/30 years had a hiccup, especially when you're financially  in fairly great shape

Around the Network

I have not heard back from NPD yet, so I don't know whether or not I can comment on 3DS sales.

In the meantime....

My requests:

1) Boutros: Please put this chart in the OP.

2) NeoGAF: Please repost this chart in the current page in the Predictions thread, please repost this chart for the new page when it appears, and please repost this chart in the main NPD thread when it goes live next week. Thank you.

3) Elsewhere: IF YOU REPOST ANY DATA FROM THIS CHART, PLEASE INCLUDE IT. DO NOT RIP THE DATA OUT OF THE CHART WITHOUT INCLUDING IT.

Aquamarine said:
RolStoppable said:

Do you honestly believe that someone has to be a fanboy in order to be interested in 3DS numbers? People would actually like to look at overall market trends, but look at the situation we are in. We aren't even guaranteed to get hardware numbers for the #1 system this month.

The only thing this bizarre, unnecessary drama will do is drive me away from this community. This is the second time you've been nasty over this.

sorry, but you literally made a comment where you said you felt the 3DS was as dead as the Xbox 360 or PS3. in a period in which the 3DS is #1, and in a year in which the 3DS worldwide beats the Xone like every week. That's an absurd thing to say if you're not looking for drama, and if the implication is that the 3DS WILL be dead because of the NX- no one really as any real confirmation specficially about what the NX truly is and if it will dramatically damage the 3DS. portable suggestions are just rumors so far

mountaindewslave said:
Aquamarine said:

The only thing this bizarre, unnecessary drama will do is drive me away from this community. This is the second time you've been nasty over this.

sorry, but you literally made a comment where you said you felt the 3DS was as dead as the Xbox 360 or PS3. in a period in which the 3DS is #1, and in a year in which the 3DS worldwide beats the Xone like every week. That's an absurd thing to say if you're not looking for drama, and if the implication is that the 3DS WILL be dead because of the NX- no one really as any real confirmation specficially about what the NX truly is and if it will dramatically damage the 3DS. portable suggestions are just rumors so far

I have explained myself multiple times why I think the 3DS is dead. No, it's not nearly *as* dead as the 360 or PS3, but when you look at the overall ecosystem outside of hardware sales it's quite anemic.

I love how the first post after the one where I gave a whole bunch of data is attacking me. What the fuck.

Can someone here explain to me this "USA USA USA" mentality nothing else matters is coming from? While it's nice to see this outcome, but people celebrating this as a big chance in the console space when the xbox one still gets beaten worldwide by a good amount of units (heck the hardware sales difference in july in japan is probably way bigger then here in usa).

Around the Network

So based on Aqua's table the XBO sold at an average price of $258 in July compared to $298 in June and the PS4 at $351 in July and $352 in June. It's really interesting to have revenue numbers. Thanks Aqua!

If Nintendo can keep coming up with hit mobile titles up to NX launch, NX may have a solid launch month in an unusual March release!

Sprash said:
Can someone here explain to me this "USA USA USA" mentality nothing else matters is coming from? While it's nice to see this outcome, but people celebrating this as a big chance in the console space when the xbox one still gets beaten worldwide by a good amount of units (heck the hardware sales difference in july in japan is probably way bigger then here in usa).

Well, this is a NPD thread, so the majority of talk will be about the US.  But, you are right, the PS4 is trouncing the XBO WW.  Really, this month is no victory for MS.  They beat the PS4 by a mere 10K, but had to give up so much revenue to do just that.

hudsoniscool said:
Trying to gauge whether xbox can make a little run with npd. August seams like a win no problem. I'm wondering about September? What exclusives(I know console exclusives in Microsofts case) do ms and Sony have for September?

it has some Japanese games yeah Sony is all around the world, Also has exclusives all the previous months with good games, on october the main focus is on VR and close the seasson  with  the Last Guardian, Gravity Rush and GT sports 

What is your point here? xbone last year was the best with exclusives  and still losing, most of NPD months, the real question here is how much a 3 years old 400$ console will sell, because we see here American buy the xbone only with 250$

Aquamarine said:
mountaindewslave said:

I have explained myself multiple times why I think the 3DS is dead. No, it's not nearly *as* dead as the 360 or PS3, but when you look at the overall ecosystem outside of hardware sales it's quite anemic.

I love how the first post after the one where I gave a whole bunch of data is attacking me. What the fuck.

Eh, some people can be touchy about the console they own.  It's kinda like picking a sports team.  Lord knows why you like that team to begin with, but it still bothers you when someone talks about it critically.  Hell, some people even get into fights over it.  Personally, I would try not to take too much offense from it.  Just remember more people than not appreciate all the data and observations that you give.