By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was there a game you REALLY had to give up on?

Well, that is it.  I'm giving up on Dark Souls.  Is the game hard?  Yes.  Was it a lot of fun?  Oh, Yeah.  But I have to give up on playing Dark Souls because as much as I loved it, the point of where I'm at the progression is too slow to justify the time spent.  It's not so much I needed a fast pace game, but at this rate it's taking me too long for other games I've planned to tackle.  Were there any games you just had to give up on?

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:

Well, that is it.  I'm giving up on Dark Souls.  Is the game hard?  Yes.  Was it a lot of fun?  Oh, Yeah.  But I have to give up on playing Dark Souls because as much as I loved it, the point of where I'm at the progression is too slow to justify the time spent.  It's not so much I needed a fast pace game, but at this rate it's taking me too long for other games I've planned to tackle.  Were there any games you just had to give up on?

Really?I find the pacing perfect!By the way, Im also playing through it.I mean sure, you get stuck once in a while somewhere, but then you just say "fuck this part" and go somewhere else you still didnt go, make that part, and by the time you return to where you got stuck, you end up powering through it!

Im currently at Anor Londo at the fucking dual boss.Where did you stop?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Not that I think of. If a game proved to be too punishing, I just had to put my "I will reach the top whether I like it or not" mentality and I overcome basically anything.

i had to give up on Terraria. i really liked the game in the earlier versions due to its simplicity. you had a world you got to explore and make yours. there were plenty of enemy types to battle, and resources to experiment with. and then when you got to good enough points you could fight the bosses. then Hardmode got introduced and with that it basically forced you to move forward at a forcefully fast rate in order to survive. then in the newest updates there are multiple varieties of single resources. Iron doesnt even seem to be a thing anymore but was split into multiple other metals. everything else they add just makes the game more complicated and confusing. i had to give up on it because it turned into a generic bullet hell filled to the brim with weapons and enemies that are not even fun to fight anymore.

LivingMetal said:

This is exactly what happened to me with dark souls... I have a lot of games pending to play, so I can not afford to lose those monumental amounts of time trying to get past 1 enemy. Its a very good game, but sadly, its not for me, or for anyone who has full time jobs and a lot of games to play

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

Around the Network

No I only stop playing a game if it bores me, if it's too hard I just lower the difficulty.

I had to give up on The Division after the shitstorm that was the first incursion and the gear update that made getting new items into a 5-50x longer grind.

Nautilus said:
LivingMetal said:

Really?I find the pacing perfect!By the way, Im also playing through it.I mean sure, you get stuck once in a while somewhere, but then you just say "fuck this part" and go somewhere else you still didnt go, make that part, and by the time you return to where you got stuck, you end up powering through it!

Ornstein and Smough is one of the most difficult boss fights in the entire Souls series. I got very salty on that one the first time.lol

Mine would be Ghosts`n Goblins. Its just very difficult overall. I will beat it someday!

Yeah only one, Zelda II. The game started off decent enough but the more I played of it, the less I liked it so I just gave up and unleashed a torrent of save states to get through it. I had no motivation to learn the game and get better, I just wanted to get through it.

Nautilus said:
LivingMetal said:

Blighttown... TWICE!  It wasn't so much of being stuck on one place but more so the "process."  I'll explain.

The first time I went into Blighttown, I was cautious.  Very cautious which did pay off because I ALMOST got to the boss almost unscathed. And I'm (or was) using a walkthrough.  But I was cautious to use a walkthrough during Blighttime because it's not that I could pause the game to take time reading what I was coming up to.  Now, I was about to tackle the boss with NPC assistance, but then I read this thing about the Great Hollow.  I'm the OCD type so I had to check it out.  Well, it took a while, but I was able to eventually collect all but one item in the Great Hollow.  But during that process, I became cursed WITHOUT a comsumable to alieviate the curse.  So hallelujah when I finally reached the bottom of the Great Hollow only to find that I had to fight that Hydra again in Ash Lake.  It was fine the first time, but at half life, I wasn't going to make it.  But I was able to trek passed it to find the Gaping Dragon.  But that was a dead end.  I heard you could teleport from bonfire to bonfire, but I have yet to receive that ability.  So I had to go from the Gaping Dragon, through Ash Lake, up the Great Hollow again, through the swamps of Blighttown, and finally found an exit via the Valley of the Drakes.  And I did all this with only half life so I wasn't ready to fight the boss anymore. 

With a glimmer of hope, I bought a purging stone to allieviate the curse, another purging stone in case I get cursed again, enhanced my character by learning spells, killed the merchant to get the uchigatana, grinded grinded grinded grinded grinded for souls, and enhanced the uchigatana.  Because after all I went through, I need to go back to Blighttown, collect items I missed in Blighttown, kill the boss, ring the bell, and defeat the Hydra.  I better be prepared.  So the last thing I did was purchase 100 heavy arrows.  So I went back to Blighttown via the Depths.  And again, I was doing quite well, and by that time I had used up half of my arrows.  But guess what did me in?  Not a ghoul, not the swamp, not a basilisk, not a boss, but a careless step from a high scaffold that resulted in my death.  And I purposely did NOT use the bonfire in Blighttown because I didn't want the enemies to respawn so I ended up back at the Bonfire in the Depths so I had to go back into Blighttown and do it all over again with only half the arrows I started with.  Forget it!