By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Man's Sky: Who Hit The Santa's Grotto Switch?

I'm still eager to buy this game and am currently watching the time tick down to the UK launch, but having seen hours of post patch gameplay, I feel a little deflated.

The vision was to create a persistant universe with multiple galaxies to explore, endless planets, most of which would be ordinary and some of which would be our Edens.  What it appears we have now is something that wouldn't look out of place in a Disney memorability shop. Garish colours are splattered across the planets as if a graffiti artist beat us to them with his fluerescent paints. Cave systems are liberally decked with luminosity and rainbows, tourist locations to be gawped at and not explored with trepidation.

Where once I longed to go is now nothing but a sideshow to a freakish colour pallet catering to a chewing gum crowd. I fully expect the Gek to sell me candyfloss when I finally meet them or the Korvax to gift me a stick of No Man's Sky rock with 'Atmosphere not included' written through it. What were they thinking? Why have they gone from 'complimenting' colours to 'contrasting' colours? I wanted to explore and discover those colourful planets, not seek out the dull planets to give my eyes a rest from all that noise.

Sorry, Sean, but this is the first time I've seen your studio show me that profit is more import than your original vision. Give me a 'cool colour' option and all will be forgiven.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Welcome to the gaming industry - you must be new here.

(What they showcase in early footage/reveals/trailers usually end up different from the full game)

That's not the point I'm making. No Man's Sky is technically everything Sean Murray said it was and more. The content is deeper and so is the gameplay. This is a switch of a colour pallet, not a lie that's suddenly been exposed. And a little less patronage goes a long way ...

The PS5 Exists. 

BasilZero said:

Soo.....its not a big deal then.

Yeah, for me it's a big deal. The atmosphere is something I loved about this game, an atmosphere created by having a slightly muted colour pallet with 'complimenting' at it's heart and the rare 'contrast' to give it flurrish. If you use flurrish on every planet regardless of how it's dressed up eventually each planet is burried beneath the 'theme' colour creates instead of the intersting structures anomolies in the algorithm throws up or the general topogrophy.

The PS5 Exists. 

Didn't the drastic color changes come with the day one patch? Maybe an artistic choice after select early impressions from various members of the industry? I admit, it all seems a bit bright now, but the game has had a hard time having real appeal for me anyways, so it doesn't impact me as greatly.

LuckyTrouble said:
Didn't the drastic color changes come with the day one patch? Maybe an artistic choice after select early impressions from various members of the industry? I admit, it all seems a bit bright now, but the game has had a hard time having real appeal for me anyways, so it doesn't impact me as greatly.

Yes, it's a choice clearly made to try and make all the planets interesting, along with adjusting the positions of the planets in relation to the sun in order to create more lush planets. It's now become a Disney ride when it should have been a voyage of discovery. The biggest disappointment all year for me. I waited 4 years to finally see the vision Sean Murray had and currently this isn't it, it's a compomised caricature of a space man's dreams.

I'm still going to enjoy this game but my reason for playing will have to change, unfortunately.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

Wait for PC version: modding might be able to fix some of the issues you may be having.

KLAMarine said:
Wait for PC version: modding might be able to fix some of the issues you may be having.

There's only one issue, the colour pallet. It needs a colour muting option. I don't play on PC and I've always disliked playing on PC. I much prefer consoles.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
KLAMarine said:

There's only one issue, the colour pallet. It needs a colour muting option. I don't play on PC and I've always disliked playing on PC. I much prefer consoles.

Well then cross your fingers. Maybe Sean will implement it... Maybe.

Hopefully because outer space is NOT orange.

KLAMarine said:

Well then cross your fingers. Maybe Sean will implement it... Maybe.

Hopefully because outer space is NOT orange.

I accepted 'some' colour and never had an issue with actual space being green or blue or purple, what I take exception to is the garish use of contrast. Before the patch you might have a mountain texture and it would be muted with tonal flares of streaks and colour flurrishes, sometimes loud but always complimentary. I've seen planets that look realsitic in tone but having vibrant pink as tonal detail that makes them feel saccharin. The same could be said of the weapons and starcrafts. They've gone for high contrast in the last minute race to launch in order to broaden its appeal.

The PS5 Exists. 

My only problem with the game so far is inventory management i wish i could store as much things as i wanted or if the game had some kind of bank system.