By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Take On Cinematic Games?

Tagged games:

I don't get why people buy TellTale games when they can just play them on youtube instead.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

I'm kinda confused. The thread asks about cinematic games, but then talks about story? I don't think stories need cinematics to be considered good. I don't see them in the same category. I like stories in game and consider them pretty important too, though I'm not really a fan of cinematic games. Though, I can see others like that, so go with whatever you like, and not care what others thing.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I think cinematic games are enjoyable for a playthrough, but they generally aren't the games we spend countless hours with.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

The reality: Media coverage/hype > title/franchise name > the company/developer behind it > then maybe your list.

Delete thiz

Around the Network

Depends if done right. Virginia was a great experience, however I've not felt the urge to play it again.

I don't care about game length, replay value, etc. If the experience is memorable then the game has succeeded. Actually sometimes game play gets in the way of enjoying a good story in games. With TW3 there were so many distractions that I didn't care for the overarching story line anymore, nor had much of a clue what was going on by the time I got to the end. I only remember the subplots, especially the baron and have already forgotten what the main plot was about.

Life is strange is the best game I have played this year. Dunno if that's cinematic, yet for sure it would not work by watching someone else play it. Some of the decisions I had to think about for quite a while, then still go back to see what if.

Anyway it depends on what kind of mood I'm in. Enjoy a story to engage my mind, or get into the zone and let muscle memory take over.

I really don't see the appeal of stuff like uncharted, ryse, until dawn ect because from a gameplay perspective they feel really easy and shallow like all of the focus was on cinematics and not good or interesting game design. The only really cinematic game that kept my attention was the last of us but after trying to replay it I noticed that it's just an ok stealth game at its core. I guess mgs counts as a cinematic game and I love that series but there's always clear cut gameplay without a ton of set pieces and that's what I enjoy about the series in addition to the story but I can't say that for something like uncharted.

What do you mean? Like Telltale games and Heavy Rain?
I like them.

Heavy Rain was my favorite game for a while, I thought it was just awesome.

Beyond Two Souls was also very good, I remember being in love with Quantic Dream in those days.

Also loved Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead, just beautiful

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

I always spam A or the menu button to skip cutscenes. I am there to play, not sit through a B movie.

To me gameplay comes first, if its good then I will sink deep and play it for 5 times mostly, what I like also is a mixture of art, music, and good characters with development
A good story is a good add-on, but. I can do without it, great stories are found in novels and adapted through movies much better
Metal gear is a balanced game, that delivers both, It's the only cinematic game that I enjoy