By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official Olympics Rio 2016 thread - USA Get Most Golds, 2nd GB, 3rd China

Tagged games:

Augen said:
I always watch the Olympics.

New thing this year curious to see is Rugby 7s.

So what where your thoughts on the Rugby 7's.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
okr said:

Believe it or not, but I always liked you.  BTW: I hope Austria will win a medal soon.

Cool. If I ever become a mod, I'll make you my official watch dog. Or advisor, if you prefer that title.

As for Austria at the Olympics, I have no idea about anything. All I know is that the chances for medals are usually greatly limited, simply because Austria is a small country and the funds for most sports are greatly limited. And, of course, winter sports are far better off when it comes to money.

I edited my post as it sounded a bisserl unehrlich. :-p

Agreed reg. AUT, but there were times you had world class summer athletes. Stefanie Graf or Thomas Muster come to mind. SUI on the other hand already won three medals in Rio - rowing, cycling, shooting - and have some good athletes in other sports as well, e.g. beach volleyball. Maybe AUT is a bit too focused on winter sports these days (where they always win plenty of medals anyway).

I'm sad... I wanted Shelly-ann to be the first woman to win 3 golds in the 100m... in a row. Oh well Atleast another Jamaican won.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Mo Farah won the 10k again even after falling. That's really impressive :O

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

RolStoppable said:
okr said:

Believe it or not, but I always often liked you.  BTW: I hope Austria will win a medal soon some day. 

Edited, because I realized that my original post wasn't fully honest.

I bet that was totally intentional. How very hinterfotzig of you.

Touché. See, that's why I always often like you.

Around the Network

The women's heptathlon was great to watch, probably my favorite Olympic event so far. It's definetely one of the hardest events, but Thiam for Belgium just won after trying so hard, and although Ennis did really well and is one of my favorite athletes, she just missed gold. Also nice to see Canada get Bronze in the event.

It was just great to see the sportmanship between all the athletes, and even those that didn't win anything were so happy. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Been a bit behind, but Medal table updated. A massive jump for GB, but cycling and rowing finals would do that. We will drop down once those are done.

Hmm, pie.

Snoopy said:
Goodnightmoon said:

What a hateful comment, not all the countries invest the amount of money US invests to win so many medals and not many countries have 450 milions of people on them.

Just as an example, my country has 1/10 of the US population and is getting... 1/10 of the medals. Weird right? 

China has more people and yet we beat them. 

Also, M.P. won more medals than most nations by himself. So numbers isn't everything. Nice try, we are just genetically superior. 

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA 

User was moderated for this and other posts ~ CGI

There's no doubt you are genetically superior when it comes to covering a wide range of sports.  America is so diverse and basically composes of people from every part of the planet.  it's very hard for a country with just 1 type of genetics to choose from,  especially if their population is also way under 450m. Add to that,  they probably can't afford the investment the Americans can.  

I have no problem with American dominance in the Olympics but there are of course a number of reasons for it. 

Kerotan said:
Snoopy said:

China has more people and yet we beat them. 

Also, M.P. won more medals than most nations by himself. So numbers isn't everything. Nice try, we are just genetically superior. 

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA 

User was moderated for this and other posts ~ CGI

There's no doubt you are genetically superior when it comes to covering a wide range of sports.  America is so diverse and basically composes of people from every part of the planet.  it's very hard for a country with just 1 type of genetics to choose from,  especially if their population is also way under 450m. Add to that,  they probably can't afford the investment the Americans can.  

I have no problem with American dominance in the Olympics but there are of course a number of reasons for it. 

I would agree that being so genetically diverse gives the USA a solid advantage, and a large population is nothing to sneeze at either.

However, our population is 319 million not 450 million. I'm still confused as to where people are getting the 450 million from. Also, the American government doesn't invest anything in the athletes. They must secure sponsership from companies, join professional leagues, or pay their own way.

RolStoppable said:
psychicscubadiver said:

I would agree that being so genetically diverse gives the USA a solid advantage, and a large population is nothing to sneeze at either.

However, our population is 319 million not 450 million. I'm still confused as to where people are getting the 450 million from. Also, the American government doesn't invest anything in the athletes. They must secure sponsership from companies, join professional leagues, or pay their own way.

Population adjusted to weight. The 319 million US-Americans weigh as much as 450 million people.

I want to be mad at you, but damnit, that line made me laugh.