By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Why Should I Care About Suicide Squad?

As a MARVEL fan, I've taken off my fanyboy hat, and I've little by little indoctrinated myself in the the DC lore.  Liked DC as a kid, not much a fan as an adult.  But my daughter is getting into it which I think it's been great for her so far.  I've been quite impressed with some of the animated series I've seen on Nexflix.  I finally watched Man of Steel.  I'll Watch BvS soon, and I'm looking forward to both Wonder Woman and JLA.

But then there's Suicide Squad.  Trailers look good, but I have no interest in the movie so maybe that would make it unfair when I criticize it.  I don't understand the aesthetics of this movie as a movie.  I understand the concept to putting all these super villains together to get a job done.  But why should I care about these villains since NONE of them have been in any prior DC movie of the same continuity?  And I hate to compare this with the Avengers, but we as an audience were already emotionally invested to some degree with almost all of the main characters when the first Avengers movie was released.  But does anyone really care about the main characters in Suicide Squad from a theatrical continuity standpoint?  We might have seen these characters in the comics, animated series, past films, but if I understand correctly, these villain are not the same character in past media.  I've always beleived that movies and stories are about the characters.  But this is not Conair where you meet the characters for the first time as they merrily go on their adventure.  These are DC supervillians that have had such a rich history that putting them together in a movie for the first time seems like a forced attempt to fasttrack them to movie stardom status.

Around the Network

No one is forcing you to care for the movie. It's just you who is over blowing a popcorn film out of proportion.

What is your point anyway? A movie is a goddamn movie. No one cares for the backstory. less than 5% of the viewers know about every story all the superheroes have been in. People want a movie with badass characters and some badass scenes. Your average audience doesn't care if Batman's car has 50 guns instead of 55 or if The flash runs 2 miles less than he typically does in the books.

Suicide Movie will be forgotten within a few months. It has nothing to make it memorable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

It's DC's Guardians of the Galaxy, dude. (as in, making a movie about a group of previously not established characters)

I love Man of Stell and enjoyed BvS, but SS have never resonate with me.

It never seen to fit the DCEU, too much crazy mistical things. It seems the change of tone and the reshoots might have hurt the original vision. But looks like a funny movie to have some laughts and enjoy action.

But again a DC movie is being ravaged by critics that expect too much and can't forgive any missteps.

I prefer DC to Marvel, but Marvel has done a much better job managing its cinematic universe. Warner Bros. and Snyder are barking up the wrong tree.

That said, there's a very important reason why you should care about Suicide Squad. Harley Quinn *swoons*

Around the Network

LivingMetal said:

As a MARVEL fan, I've taken off my fanyboy hat, and I've little by little indoctrinated myself in the the DC lore.  Liked DC as a kid, not much a fan as an adult.  But my daughter is getting into it which I think it's been great for her so far.  I've been quite impressed with some of the animated series I've seen on Nexflix.  I finally watched Man of Steel.  I'll Watch BvS soon, and I'm looking forward to both Wonder Woman and JLA.

But then there's Suicide Squad.  Trailers look good, but I have no interest in the movie so maybe that would make it unfair when I criticize it.  I don't understand the aesthetics of this movie as a movie.  I understand the concept to putting all these super villains together to get a job done.  But why should I care about these villains since NONE of them have been in any prior DC movie of the same continuity?  And I hate to compare this with the Avengers, but we as an audience were already emotionally invested to some degree with almost all of the main characters when the first Avengers movie was released.  But does anyone really care about the main characters in Suicide Squad from a theatrical continuity standpoint?  We might have seen these characters in the comics, animated series, past films, but if I understand correctly, these villain are not the same character in past media.  I've always beleived that movies and stories are about the characters.  But this is not Conair where you meet the characters for the first time as they merrily go on their adventure.  These are DC supervillians that have had such a rich history that putting them together in a movie for the first time seems like a forced attempt to fasttrack them to movie stardom status.

Because it's basically Fight Club 2, with Angel (aka Joker) keeping Project Mayhem alive. 

"You wanna know how I got these scars?"

But other than that, given it's performance on RT, I don't think there's any reason to really care about it.

hershel_layton said:
No one is forcing you to care for the movie. It's just you who is over blowing a popcorn film out of proportion.

What is your point anyway? A movie is a goddamn movie. No one cares for the backstory. less than 5% of the viewers know about every story all the superheroes have been in. People want a movie with badass characters and some badass scenes. Your average audience doesn't care if Batman's car has 50 guns instead of 55 or if The flash runs 2 miles less than he typically does in the books.

Suicide Movie will be forgotten within a few months. It has nothing to make it memorable.

Lol, what? No one cares for the backstory, nor do they care about the stories the Superheroeshave been in? 

Is that why there was a shitstorm to get Spiderman into an Avengers movie, or all the complaints about them mashing The Dark Knight Returns and The Death of Superman into one film in BvS? YOU might not care about that stuff, but many people do. 

bigtakilla said:
hershel_layton said:

Lol, what? No one cares for the backstory, nor do they care about the stories the Superheroeshave been in? 

Is that why there was a shitstorm to get Spiderman into an Avengers movie, or all the complaints about them mashing The Dark Knight Returns and The Death of Superman into one film in BvS? YOU might not care about that stuff, but many people do. 

I actually prefer a good story and script over action, but a lot of casuals typically don't look too deep into it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

hershel_layton said:
No one is forcing you to care for the movie. It's just you who is over blowing a popcorn film out of proportion...                                   

I never said anyone was forcing me to care for this movie.  It's just that with a plethora of superhero (in this case villain of course) movies coming out these days, it's just hard for me to get interested in this one as I have with the others.  It looks you're blowing my post out of proportion more than your personal perception of me with Suicide Squad. 

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I prefer DC to Marvel, but Marvel has done a much better job managing its cinematic universe. Warner Bros. and Snyder are barking up the wrong tree.

That said, there's a very important reason why you should care about Suicide Squad. Harley Quinn *swoons*

I could if she had more cleavage.  It's just me.  Please don't let that bother you.  :)