By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2016: New England Patriots Win Super Bowl LI

Who will win Super Bowl LI?

New England Patriots 51 47.66%

Kansas City Chiefs 3 2.80%

Pittsburgh Steelers 6 5.61%

Other (AFC) 3 2.80%

Dallas Cowboys 10 9.35%

Atlanta Falcons 15 14.02%

Seattle Seahawks 5 4.67%

Green Bay Packers 5 4.67%

Other (NFC) 4 3.74%

Scoreboard 5 4.67%

Total:107

Fuck Dan Carpenter.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
With the Dolphins' win, the Broncos are pretty much dead in the water. Do you guys want to know what the German expert identified as the main shortcoming of Denver in 2016?

The defense is a shadow of its former self.

They're not too much deader than they were. They were always going to have to win out, so they're no worse off there, and Oakland's win means that the Patriots have incentive to win next week at Miami.

And the Seahawks lost, I continue to laugh at the Seahawk fans who think this is the same team that won a SB 3 years ago.

MTZehvor said:
RolStoppable said:
NYG-PHI 1 MIA-BUF
2 NYJ-NE 2 TEN-JAX 1
MIN-GB 2 SD-CLE 1 WAS-CHI 1 ATL-CAR 1
IND-OAK
2 TB-NO 1 ARI-SEA 2 SF-LA
CIN-HOU 2 BAL-PIT 1 DEN-KC 2 DET-DAL 2 by 10

Fuck Washington man.

Looks like I'm going to have to go for at least one pick I don't really believe in if I want to have a realistic shot to win the league. Might update the other two tomorrow.

RolStoppable said:
MTZehvor said:

Looks like I'm going to have to go for at least one pick I don't really believe in if I want to have a realistic shot to win the league. Might update the other two tomorrow.

Word of advice: Go with the Bengals. My track record on changed picks this season is slightly negative, so there's a good chance that they'll win now. Tom Savage will play so bad that Brock gets to make his glorious return and completes 18/23 for 210 yards, 3 TDs and no INT.

Geeze, the AJ Green-less Bengals? Even in a week where Cleveland, San Francisco, and Jacksonville all win, I wouldn't be that crazy.

Around the Network

Unsurprisingly all my reasonable upset picks backfired and all my sane picks were wrong. Seems like a repeat of my Week 3.

Bears played well at home last week, now flop against WAS. WAS pretty good against NFC north teams I guess.
Panthers can win the odd game lately, but not against the weak defense of Falcons.
Seahawks lose, 49ers win. Makes me happy but it is not really expected for that division.

Man, this was an awful day for kickers. 3 kickers missed game tying or winning kicks with less than 10 seconds in the 4th or OT, and another almost cost his team with a missed XP earlier in the game.

RolStoppable said:
Looks like we could know most of the playoff teams after week 16, similar to last season where we headed into December with lots of still realistic contenders and then had them drop like flies before week 17.

Also looks like Green Bay vs. Detroit will be flexed into the primetime slot of week 17. It's basically the only game left where both teams will play for it all. This marks the fourth year in a row where the Packers play for the NFC North title against their direct rival in week 17. In 2013 they toppled the Bears in Chicago, in 2014 they fended off the Lions in Green Bay, in 2015 they fell to the Vikings in Green Bay.

If I understood the playoff scenarios correctly, a loss of the Redskins against the Giants would mean that the Packers clinch a playoff berth before their game against Detroit starts. I don't want to root for the Giants though, so the Packers shouldn't even consider to rely on others and instead finish the job.

Not quite, although it's about as close as imaginable. For anyone interested, here are all the ways all teams left in the race that haven't clinched can make it into the playoffs (to my knowledge). Not taking ties into account because I'm lazy.

AFC

Kansas City (Division): Beat Denver and San Diego + Oakland Loss to Denver 

Kansas City (Wild Card): Beat Denver OR Beat San Diego OR any Denver or Miami loss + Pittsburgh beats Baltimore OR any Denver or Miami loss + Pittsburgh losses to Baltimore and Cleveland

Miami: Beat New England OR any Denver loss OR Kansas City losses to Denver and San Diego

Denver: Beat KC and Oakland + Miami loss to New England

Baltimore: Beat Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh (Division): Beat Baltimore OR Beat Cleveland + Baltimore loss to Cincy

Pittsburgh (Wild Card): Loss to Baltimore + Beat Cleveland + Miami Loss to New England OR Loss to Baltimore + Beat Cleveland + Kansas City losses to Denver and San Diego 

NFC

Detroit (Division): Beat Green Bay

Detroit (Wild Card): Beat Dallas + Loss to Green Bay OR Losses to Dallas and Green Bay + Washington Loss to New York

Green Bay (Division): Beat Detroit

Green Bay (Wild Card): Loss to Detroit + Washington Loss to New York + Any of the results in the Tampa section don't occur

Washington: Beat New York + Green Bay Loss to Detroit OR Beat New York + Detroit Losses to Dallas and Green Bay

Tampa Bay: Beat Carolina + Kansas City beats Denver + Detroit Loss to Dallas + Green Bay Loss to Detroit + Washington Loss to New York + Dallas beats Philadelphia + San Francisco beats Seattle + Tennessee beats Houston + Indianapolis beats Jacksonville

If anyone's wondering why the last scenario is so convoluted, it's because it would result in Tampa tied with Green Bay for the final wild card spot at 9-7, and just barely edging them out on the Strength of Victory tiebreaker. And I mean barely. If any of those results don't end up happening, Tampa is eliminated.

So to fully respond, Washington losing alone doesn't quite do it, though it would take some crazy bullshit for it to not be enough.

Man my picks were terrible this week. Hopefully most others didn't do too well either. I'll be lucky to even finish .500 for the week.

RolStoppable said:

NYG-PHI 1 MIA-BUF
1 NYJ-NE 2 TEN-JAX 1
MIN-GB 2 SD-CLE 1 WAS-CHI 1 ATL-CAR 1
IND-OAK
2 TB-NO 1 ARI-SEA 2 SF-LA
CIN-HOU 2 BAL-PIT 2 DEN-KC 2 DET-DAL 2 by 7

Changing BAL-PIT pick to PIT

I have lived as a warrior. I have died as a god. Having suffered the ultimate sacrifice, I have been denied release. I...I will defeat Olympus. I will have my revenge

--Kratos