By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The gaming media can't do math.

Probably not a big deal, either way. A company's "recommended" requirements for these types of products are generally much broader than the reality, since they are worried that a few people will complain that their purchase isn't working properly. I sure as hell didn't have a room with the recommended space requirements for the Kinect, and got that working just fine. 

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
Danman27 said:
Regardless, that's a lot of space that many people don't have.

I think if you have less space in your living area than 40-60 square foot then the PSVR is the least of your worries lol.

I live in an apartment with roommates, so I game in my bedroom. Given the furniture in my bedroom, I don't know how I could clear enough space to use it. It's not a weird or uncommon situation. 

Normchacho said:
mysteryman said:

BOLD1 - Unsure how you calculated this. Tech specs for the PS4 Eye give an 85° viewing angle.
L_1 = 3.1/(cos(42.5)) = 4.2
A_1 = 6.2x4.2/2 = 13.0 ft^2

BOLD2 - You didn't take into account the 2ft distance of the PS Eye to the play area.
L_2 = 9.8 - (4.2-2) = 7.6
A_2 = 6.2x7.6 = 47.1 ft^2

A_Total = 60.1 ft^2

The headset doesn't require the full viewing angle of the camera.

The front of the play area is 2.3 ft or 27.6 inches making a triangle from that line to the camera (24 inches away) gives you an angle of 59.8 degrees

27.6/2 = 13.8

13.8^2  = 190.44

24^2 = 576

576+190.44 = 766.44

Square root of 766.44 = 27.68

Sin^-1(13.8/27.68) = 29.9

29.9 * 2 = 59.8

If you follow that angle outward from the camera to the point where its lines intersect the rectangle (and are therefore 6.2 feet apart) they intersect 64.7 inches (or 5.39 feet) from the origin.

Giving one large triangle made up of two 3.1X5.39ft right triangles.

As for part two, I didn't forget to include anything. The length is 9.8 ft from the camera to the end of the play area as is clearly shown in the picture.

My mistake, they've mixed dimension conventions and I initially read the 9.8 ft play area length to be exclusive of the 2ft distance from the camera to play area

mysteryman said:
Normchacho said:

The headset doesn't require the full viewing angle of the camera.

The front of the play area is 2.3 ft or 27.6 inches making a triangle from that line to the camera (24 inches away) gives you an angle of 59.8 degrees

27.6/2 = 13.8

13.8^2  = 190.44

24^2 = 576

576+190.44 = 766.44

Square root of 766.44 = 27.68

Sin^-1(13.8/27.68) = 29.9

29.9 * 2 = 59.8

If you follow that angle outward from the camera to the point where its lines intersect the rectangle (and are therefore 6.2 feet apart) they intersect 64.7 inches (or 5.39 feet) from the origin.

Giving one large triangle made up of two 3.1X5.39ft right triangles.

As for part two, I didn't forget to include anything. The length is 9.8 ft from the camera to the end of the play area as is clearly shown in the picture.

My mistake, they've mixed dimension conventions and I initially read the 9.8 ft play area length to be exclusive of the 2ft distance from the camera to play area

No big deal, it took me a minute to get my head around what exactley the dimensions on the diagram were.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Well... Since most rooms are rectangular, you still need a room that is at least 60 square feet...

Around the Network
Peh said:
Ganoncrotch said:

What the hell man... don't eat directly out of the egg? whack the egg with the spoon to crack the top half of the egg, break it and peel it back off the top half of the white, then you can slide the egg out into a cup or awaiting slice of bread to make a delicious egg in a cup by mixing in ripped up brown bread / splash of milk or else have a fantastic egg sandwich with runny yolk!

Crazy talk about eating out of the egg, some sort of monster?

if the egg doesn't slide out you might need to crack the underside of the shell too so that air can get in under the egg as it slides out the top, makes it easier!

(this is indeed an important issue gaming media should be covering!)

I like my eggs soft boiled. The white being solid and the yellow part being liquid. For me, there's no better way to enjoy an egg at breakfast. Having some sliced bread and a cup of warm cocoa.

I like my eggs soft as well with the yolk starting to thicken but still soft, put into an egg cup with the top cut off and some pepper added, i then i cut my toast into fingers and dip them into the egg.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot