By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie explains why the WiiU underperformed.

“When we launched Wii U, we missed the opportunity to be clear on the concept, to show off its capabilities and what the users could do. And that hurt us. Sales were also hurt, during the beginning of its lifespan, by the lack of games. And although we’ve sold 13 million consoles, against 20 and 40 million from the competition (Microsoft and Sony, respectively), what pleases us the most is that Wii U has the games with the best reviews and ratings from fans.”

Of course the poor marketting and name didn't help either.

source

Around the Network

I also blame Reggie not being able to play Smash Bros, even if his life depended on it.

It's not hard having the "best reviews and ratings from fans" though. Most fans of any product are very indulgent and conformist.

True, there are more reasons but one of the main ones is the lack of a launch game that shows the capabilities of the console in an efective way, Instead of something like NSMBU and Zombie U they should have showcased the gamepad with Mario Maker and the potential of the hardware with Mario Kart 8 or 3D World, but all of them came too late, If the launch had included SMM, 3DWorld and Splatoon WiiU could have sold twice lifetime.

That quote impressed me, to start with, because it was honest, but then he went right back to being Reggie by the end.

I felt they got their concept off pretty well in the first E3 reveal. Also all the games they showed were bullshots and looked half as good as what we eventually got. That killed a lot of trust and EA backed away from them over that. I think he should mention why the console failed from a developer side of things. Who cares what the consumer thinks if you can't let your "partners" prepare a proper product for them

Around the Network
MohammadBadir said:

“what pleases us the most is that Wii U has the games with the best reviews and ratings from fans.”

lol.

The name was terrible. To this day there are people who think it's just another version of the same Wii console. Should have made it more clear it's a new console with completely new games.

I wonder why he doesn't want to admit the concept was flawed ...

Be worried.

The PS5 Exists. 

Wright said:

I also blame Reggie not being able to play Smash Bros, even if his life depended on it.

It's not hard having the "best reviews and ratings from fans" though. Most fans of any product are very indulgent and conformist.

And the less popular the product, the more likely those who bought in will be fanatical about it.