By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - As a console gamer, PC is starting to seem pretty appealling

In terms or current gen hardware right now, I have a Wii U, an Xbox One, and an entry level PC. So far this year I have primarily played indie games on my PC when Im at home and 3DS games when i leave the house. Up until now dI have rejected the idea of any one platform be ing superior than any other but my opinion is starting to change. There are a lot of appealing things about gaming on a PC that consoles simply can not keep up with. But one thing Ive noticed is that while there are so many different arguemnts for PC being the "master race" or gaming, none of them really cover any of the reasons PC feels better to me. So coming from a console gamer, here are the reasons I am starting to like PC.

Convinience-  Are consoles convenient? Barely. They make gaming easy but that is about it. When on a PC i can swith between watching TV, going on the internet, watching youtube videos, all on top of gaming. Consoles have tried again and again to same this same feel, but Windows really feels llike a more accessible platform to support all those things at once. Plus a PC can run muliple programs at once, which you can make out for yourself how convinient it is not to have to close out of one thing just to see another.

Mods- I am not even a fan of mods, although I probably would be if Nintendo games had mods. The type of mods I enjoy focus around improving game performance, adding new gameplay features, not so much the insane ones that can easily crash your game. Ok, so now imagine pro modders getting their hands on Smash Bros, Splatoon, any Mario game. Hell, Mario Maker could be 10x as big as it is right now if modders could mess around with it. 

Games keep getting better- As hardware evolves, the games we have now will just keep getting better. What I mean by that is, right now I could play a AAA game in low or medium settings. In a few years the hardware will evolve and the PC i have then will be able to play the same games in higher quality and framerate. Whereas with consoles, you just have to hope the new one will have backwards compatibility, or for Nintendo gamers you can hope VC keeps up with time. 

Multiplayer- Its... basically the same on a PC... I mean I have played multiplayer games on a PC, and you can barely tell the difference. just pick up some controllers, hook them up, and its the same thing. there isnt even a price difference when buying controllers.

now keep in mind, I am not "converting" to PC but I will definitely admit it probably is the best platform to own. I will still keep buying consoles for exclusives and travel convenience, but if you are a console gamer who has rejected the idea of using PC's, you are missing out. And yes there are still things I dont  like about PC, like the price which is a bit more than a console. and hardware specs can be a gamble unless you know what youre doing. but all things considering, PC may be the only platform I end up still using in a few years

Around the Network

PC is an amazing thing to have, so many games and so many different experiences. And not so expensive anymore. For $500 you will have a great pc.

Yea I love PC gaming. Have been a PC gamer since forever and it is a great time to join the PC gaming scene! Consoles will always have their place in gaming imo considering the benefits those have but its hard to deny the benefits of PC gaming.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I'm jumping on the PC train this year.

It is the best. Building my own pc was one of the best decisions I ever made. If you have any questions (if you are ever interested 100%), let me know. A lot of people spread very, very false information about PC gaming, both purposely (to downplay its benefits) and ignorantly (some people still think PCs work like it is the 1990s). 

Free online, free games (that you don't pay a subscription for AND can keep), super cheap bundles, full backward compatibility, super steep discounts, playing on your couch with any controller you like, having a pc that can do all of your other tasks, ability to choose your own framerates/resolutions/settings, etc. etc. 

The best

Hi

Around the Network

Nothing against the platform, but I just don't care for a smattering of reasons. Maybe somewhere down the line, I'll get into it. It's something I entertained some years ago, but never did it. Since then, I haven't even thought about it.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I mainly love how PC has a extremely diverse library of games thanks to Steam, the comvenience due to PC being a huge multimedia center, and the fact there's no paywall for online.

Definitely try to invest a bit into PC gaming if ya can.

Also as a side note, people have already been modding Splatoon and Smash Wii U, and while it's still somewhat early, Smash modding is starting to get pretty crazy.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Not having to pay to play a purchased game online is the cream for me.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

PC is great, it even lets me play Pokemon Go from the comfort of my home.
Consoles are great too. I can still play any ps4 game on the 2.5 year old hardware. However Dreamfall chapters I backed will not run at higher than 5fps on my equally old $1000 laptop with dedicated GPU, sound stuttering and distorting as well. One day I'll be able to play it after I buy a new laptop. Will have to anyway as Elite Dangerous gets worse and worse on it too as more gets added to the game. 30fps at release, 10fps with Horizons, ? after the next big update.

As far as convenience goes, consoles win in moveability and playing from the couch. No tiny fonts or over scan to worry about, everything works on the standard controller.
PCs, sure it's a lot easier to alt-tab to check a walk through, look for cheats etc, not sure if that's a plus. It's also much easier to watch tv / you tube while gaming, which I did a lot with Elite dangerous, yet perhaps that's a sign that game really has too much grinding. I love ED, but the amount of grinding it took to be able to buy the ship I wanted definitely made my Netflix account essential. (I actually used the WiiU gamepad for that not to burden my poor laptop any further)

What I absolutely do love about PC: Turn off Depth of field, Motion blur, Chromatic and other crap. I rather have no AA than crappy FXAA or temporal blending. If only consoles let you turn all that stuff off.

Yerm said:

Mods- I am not even a fan of mods, although I probably would be if Nintendo games had mods. The type of mods I enjoy focus around improving game performance, adding new gameplay features, not so much the insane ones that can easily crash your game. Ok, so now imagine pro modders getting their hands on Smash Bros, Splatoon, any Mario game. Hell, Mario Maker could be 10x as big as it is right now if modders could mess around with it. 

You can have Nintendo games with mods....     ....On the PC. :P

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--