By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Star Trek: Beyond' is currently scoring at over 90% on Rotten Tomatoes

Veknoid_Outcast said:
LivingMetal said:

1) It is not 1966 anymore.

2) Roddenberry was kicked off of the Star Trek Next Gen writing team because he was his own asshole that he was stuck in.  The series finally took off when he was relieved of his iron fist closed minded rule.

3) He's passe.  You can recognized this past acheivements and influences, but those who cannot move such as these critics really need to get a life.

4) "He's dead, Jim."

Dude, not cool. I don't like the new Star Trek movies so I need to get a life?

I know it's not 1966 anymore. It's 2016. In September it will be Trek's 50th anniversary and all we have to show for it is a complete bastardization of what made the series great in the first place. Yes, Roddenberry's conservatism hurt The Next Generation, and the show become much better after his departure. But what he created is magnificent: a bold, creative vision of the future rich in heady ideas about identity, multiculturalism, exploration, time travel, alien worlds and civilizations, and, most importantly, what it means to be human.

His legacy continued throughout the 80s and 90s and finally hit a dead end with Enterprise and Nemesis. The franchise was in need of a renaissance, yes, but what it got was a black eye. Abrams et al. transformed a contemplative series about science and big deas into an action movie about plot holes and lens flares. 

For the record, if Abrams had made good movies, I'd be willing to forgive his thorough dismantling of everything that defined Star Trek for over 40 years. But they're not good movies. They're populated by callow and unconvincing acting; contrivances and shaky logic; numbing and hollow special effects; and convoluted, murky storylines.

Here is the bottom line. It's a movie, and just a movie.  People watch movies for various of reasons.  I watch movies to briefly suspend reality, but that's just me. I'm not going to dictate to anyone why they should watch a movie as they shouldn't do the same to anyone else.  And if there is a "deeper meaning" in a movie, great!  No problem with that.  And some movies were made to have that deeper meaning.

The problem I have is idolization to the point where it blinds those from seeing something for what it is.  That doesn't mean Abrams' Star Trek films are good because that in itself is a subjective matter.  But I don't necessarily need that deeper philosophical "ummphh" in a Star Trek movie to make it enjoyable.  Some of the issues that Roddenberry tackled in the late 60's were legitiment issues that are still revelant today.  But what makes a lot more sense is that if the future (Star Trek) is suppose to be a time when we have "evolved" to the point that we have become a better people, then there would no point in presenting those issues because it would be a non-issue by then.  You see what I'm getting at?  So if someone wants to idolize Roddenberry to the point that they cannot see that Abrams' Star Trek is a fun (subjective) science fiction space romp, they don't have to see it, and that doesn't make it a bad movie.

I've recognized what Roddenberry has done, and I recognized what the Abrams' Star Trek films are.  I see them for what they are, and they are both good in my eyes in their own ways.  So if someone thinks that the Abrams' Star Trek are bad movies or it's just not their cup of tea, that's cool and should be respected.  But just because some of Roddenberry's element are not in a Star Trek movie and/or television series (as what has happened with TNG) doesn't make it wrong or bad.

Around the Network

Glad it's being well-received (and that Rihanna didn't wreck it)!  I didn't think it would. The first two were the best of the franchise so I can't wait to see this one, but I won't be able to get to a theater in time to do so. If it gets good word of mouth, my 300-350 million WW prediction could be a ways off.

I'll watch it eventually, not hyped for it at all. I'm not much of a fan of the new characters.

LivingMetal said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Dude, not cool. I don't like the new Star Trek movies so I need to get a life?

I know it's not 1966 anymore. It's 2016. In September it will be Trek's 50th anniversary and all we have to show for it is a complete bastardization of what made the series great in the first place. Yes, Roddenberry's conservatism hurt The Next Generation, and the show become much better after his departure. But what he created is magnificent: a bold, creative vision of the future rich in heady ideas about identity, multiculturalism, exploration, time travel, alien worlds and civilizations, and, most importantly, what it means to be human.

His legacy continued throughout the 80s and 90s and finally hit a dead end with Enterprise and Nemesis. The franchise was in need of a renaissance, yes, but what it got was a black eye. Abrams et al. transformed a contemplative series about science and big deas into an action movie about plot holes and lens flares. 

For the record, if Abrams had made good movies, I'd be willing to forgive his thorough dismantling of everything that defined Star Trek for over 40 years. But they're not good movies. They're populated by callow and unconvincing acting; contrivances and shaky logic; numbing and hollow special effects; and convoluted, murky storylines.

Here is the bottom line. It's a movie, and just a movie.  People watch movies for various of reasons.  I watch movies to briefly suspend reality, but that's just me. I'm not going to dictate to anyone why they should watch a movie as they shouldn't do the same to anyone else.  And if there is a "deeper meaning" in a movie, great!  No problem with that.  And some movies were made to have that deeper meaning.

The problem I have is idolization to the point where it blinds those from seeing something for what it is.  That doesn't mean Abrams' Star Trek films are good because that in itself is a subjective matter.  But I don't necessarily need that deeper philosophical "ummphh" in a Star Trek movie to make it enjoyable.  Some of the issues that Roddenberry tackled in the late 60's were legitiment issues that are still revelant today.  But what makes a lot more sense is that if the future (Star Trek) is suppose to be a time when we have "evolved" to the point that we have become a better people, then there would no point in presenting those issues because it would be a non-issue by then.  You see what I'm getting at?  So if someone wants to idolize Roddenberry to the point that they cannot see that Abrams' Star Trek is a fun (subjective) science fiction space romp, they don't have to see it, and that doesn't make it a bad movie.

I've recognized what Roddenberry has done, and I recognized what the Abrams' Star Trek films are.  I see them for what they are, and they are both good in my eyes in their own ways.  So if someone thinks that the Abrams' Star Trek are bad movies or it's just not their cup of tea, that's cool and should be respected.  But just because some of Roddenberry's element are not in a Star Trek movie and/or television series (as what has happened with TNG) doesn't make it wrong or bad.

Yes, and on that we agree. Just because something is different doesn't mean it's bad. Take a look at Alien and Aliens. James Cameron transformed a slow-burn sci-fi horror movie into a high-octane war movie. And both movies are great on their own merits.

My problem with the new Trek movies are that they move away from the legacy of the shows AND they're not very good. For me it's the worst possible outcome. 

Wife is a huge Trek nerd so yes, we will be going to see it.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:

My problem with the new Trek movies are that they move away from the legacy of the shows AND they're not very good. For me it's the worst possible outcome. 

J.J. purposedly created the time-travel rift at the first movie to basically not mess up with the established canon and at the same time do his own thing. Looking at J.J.'s Star Trek movies trying to adhere them to the franchise's legacy is a mistake. Those are movies that are meant to be seen by themselves.

As a trekkie myself, I do love them, and I don't really agree about them not being very good. I've enjoyed them, and I don't find them to be poor quality or badly scripted movies.

Wright said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

J.J. purposedly created the time-travel rift at the first movie to basically not mess up with the established canon and at the same time do his own thing. Looking at J.J.'s Star Trek movies trying to adhere them to the franchise's legacy is a mistake. Those are movies that are meant to be seen by themselves.

As a trekkie myself, I do love them, and I don't really agree about them not being very good. I've enjoyed them, and I don't find them to be poor quality or badly scripted movies.

The 2009 movie was OK. Into Darkness was poor, I thought. Beyond looks to be the weakest of the three.

Why couldn't Abrams create a new sci-fi property if he wanted to make a space opera? Or just wait for Star Wars, a series more tailored to his skills as a director? Why turn Star Trek upside down?

As for Abrams trying to respect the origins and identity of Star Trek, I see no sign of that, time travel mechanic included. Not only are the characters strange - Spock, a half Vulcan, flies off the handle at any perceived slight - but the story doesn't make sense. A Starfleet dropout promoted to captain the Federation flagship? And if Abrams just wanted to do his own thing why did he essentially remake Wrath of Khan in Into Darkness? 

Veknoid_Outcast said:

The 2009 movie was OK. Into Darkness was poor, I thought. Beyond looks to be the weakest of the three.

Why couldn't Abrams create a new sci-fi property if he wanted to make a space opera? Or just wait for Star Wars, a series more tailored to his skills as a director? Why turn Star Trek upside down?

As for Abrams trying to respect the origins and identity of Star Trek, I see no sign of that, time travel mechanic included. Not only are the characters strange - Spock, a half Vulcan, flies off the handle at any perceived slight - but the story doesn't make sense. A Starfleet dropout promoted to captain the Federation flagship? And if Abrams just wanted to do his own thing why did he essentially remake Wrath of Khan in Into Darkness? 

Because Abrams' own things tend to be remakes, as we've already seen with the new Star Wars entry.

And again, you misunderstood. The time-travel mechanic was done purposedly to not mess up with the origins and identity of Star Trek, so everything weird you see on the J.J.'s Star Trek does not influence nor it should be compared to how things worked in the originals. Sure you might argue that the Cascade Effect from time-travel shouldn't be as pronounced as it is on here, but the thing is that you shouldn't really try to judge how this new universe works using the established rules of the previous one. Just go with how J.J.'s set things in motion.

Wright said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Because Abrams' own things tend to be remakes, as we've already seen with the new Star Wars entry.

And again, you misunderstood. The time-travel mechanic was done purposedly to not mess up with the origins and identity of Star Trek, so everything weird you see on the J.J.'s Star Trek does not influence nor it should be compared to how things worked in the originals. Sure you might argue that the Cascade Effect from time-travel shouldn't be as pronounced as it is on here, but the thing is that you shouldn't really try to judge how this new universe works using the established rules of the previous one. Just go with how J.J.'s set things in motion.

Well I agree on that

In his two best movies he either aped Spielberg (Super 8) or remade Star Wars (The Force Awakens).

Honestly I think he's better suited for the small screen.

LivingMetal said:

I think what people fail to recognize with the Star Trek franchise (and I'm not pointing fingers here, just trying to add to the discussion) is the disconnect between the movie Star Treks and the TV show Star Treks. It was true earlier that Roddenberry was his own worst enemy (he refused to write certain kinds of stories that he said just wouldn't happen in the future, like certain types of character conflicts. I wish I had a source on this, but I think Rick Berman mentioned it in an interview) and without him, both the shows and the movies were affected.

But the point of a movie and the point of a TV show are far different, because as a medium, they're really distant cousins. An episode like TNG's Drumhead (my fave from the series) just wouldn't work in a movie, and there was a great youtube video that I can't find right now that discussed the stark differences between "TV Picard" and "Movie Picard." They were basically trying to turn him into a more action-oriented, shoot-first-ask-questions-later type of guy in the movies, compared to a much more stoic, contemplative captain in the TV shows. They're essentially two different characters trying to achieve two different things.

You can go all heady and idealistic on TV for 24 episodes, but a movie has much less time, and you need to keep viewers interested. All the movies tried to put action where it didn't belong well before JJ, so really, it's par for the course. If anything, compare apples to apples: JJ's Star Trek movies to the last 10 movies. 

So as far as JJ destroying Star Trek's legacy over the past two films, he really didn't. He got the series popular enough to give us another TV show. And if you can put up with 2 hours of fun, engaging, action-oriented stories that are character-driven instead of science fiction-driven once every couple of years, if it gets us a more philosophical TV show, then it's a VERY small price to pay.

Now we just have to hope that the TV show pans out and isn't just some vapid BS.