By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much do you think Okami Wii will sell?

Faxanadu said:

Again, please look at the games I own. Then look at the system they are for. Then maybe you will finally understand that I would like a Wii version of the game to be released. I just dont think it is my inherent right as a wii owner to be demanding a wii version from Capcom. 

Again, please look at what I said. I am not saying the Wii has an inherent right to getting RE5. I just think its something that would work on the Wii.

*~Onna76~* said:
I don't think it will sell more than 200-300.000 tops. The game is not highly wanted, not very well promoted, not hyped and probably totally forgotten by the mass called SSBB.

That is fairly realistic. The game's notorioty is almost non-existant outside of gaming circles. Unless advertising was done for the game its unlikely this title would see figures around Zack & Wiki levels.

Around the Network
Onimusha12 said:
Final-Fan said:
It just seems very odd that you would be in favor of MORE crappy ports on the Wii.  The only difference is that you think the original game will also be crappy.
Why will this be a crappy port? If graphics are the difference between a good game and a crappy game then your definition is null and void.

I want this because of the Wii's control scheme and my faith that Capcom will make it a quality port most likely with exclusive content and an excellent control scheme.
You stated that you expect RE5 to reflect poorly on the RE series.  I interpreted that to mean that you expect RE5 to be a bad game.  Is that interpretation incorrect and, if so, how should I have interpreted it differently?

If RE5 is a bad game (per your expectations) then a Wii port of it will also be a bad game.  So the Wii RE5 would be a good port of a bad game = bad game that is a port.  Ergo, "crappy port".  Since I clearly stated that this was DIFFERENT from other crappy ports in that this one was crappy in the ORIGINAL, I figured that someone as intelligent as you seemed to be would be able to connect the dots.  I was apparently mistaken.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Onimusha12 said:

*~Onna76~* said:
I don't think it will sell more than 200-300.000 tops. The game is not highly wanted, not very well promoted, not hyped and probably totally forgotten by the mass called SSBB.

That is fairly realistic. The game's notorioty is almost non-existant outside of gaming circles. Unless advertising was done for the game its unlikely this title would see figures around Zack & Wiki levels.

Yes, that's why the amount which is called by people of "1 million", sounds nothing but a dream and most of all to Capcom. I wish for Capcom and for the game to sell that well, but despite releasing the game again, it is and always will be an "underdog".

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Final-Fan said:

You stated that you expect RE5 to reflect poorly on the RE series.  I interpreted that to mean that you expect RE5 to be a bad game.  Is that interpretation incorrect and, if so, how should I have interpreted it differently?

That like DMC4, it would be an okay game, but nothing worth even mentioning in the same breath as "Game of the Year". It would not live up to RE4's glory, but would be an acceptable game. What you should have interpreted from my statement is, lighting won't strike twice because there isn't even a thunder storm this time.

Final-Fan said:

If RE5 is a bad game (per your expectations) then a Wii port of it will also be a bad game.  So the Wii RE5 would be a good port of a bad game = bad game that is a port.  Ergo, "crappy port".  Since I clearly stated that this was DIFFERENT from other crappy ports in that this one was crappy in the ORIGINAL, I figured that someone as intelligent as you seemed to be would be able to connect the dots.  I was apparently mistaken.

Unfortunately the one failing to meet the implied burden of "intelligence" here seems to be is you. You've made some startling leaps in your logic here. I didn't say this would be a bad game and you are rather misguided if you think I did. I said it wouldn't be as good as RE4 and like DMC4 would probably just be okay, mediocre at worst. I don't know why this is so hard to grasp. It's not rocket science.

Perhaps if you weren't so eager to find any reason you could to nitpick my stance on a Wii port you wouldn't have been forced to reach for such extreme conclusions. From the look of things, you didn't bother to take the time to properly read what I had written or in the mess of responses and replies drew your own hastey conclusions about what I was saying.

Just to make sure you understand, since no amount of explanation seems to be enough the eyes of this thread's critics, allow me to lay it out for you.

- RE5 is not being made by the director of RE4 or the same development team, hence there is no reason to assume this game, which thus far has promoted itself solely on graphics and A.I., will in any way live up to RE4's achievement as a brilliant outlier in the series.

- Whether this game is Ok, Good or Great, it will be playable and enjoyable to some degree, thus a port is warrented for the Wii which would improve the game greatly with Wii controls.

- I would like to have this game, but recognizing it won't be another RE4 I honestly don't NEED it either (certainly not enough to buy a new console), and if it doesn't come to a console I own, I can comfortably pass on it, waiting for the possibility of a future port or a PC version.

I want this game to do well, I just have a weird feeling it's going to be mediocre on the sales front :/

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network
Onimusha12 said:
Final-Fan said:
That like DMC4, it would be an okay game, but nothing worth even mentioning in the same breath as "Game of the Year". It would not live up to RE4's glory, but would be an acceptable game. What you should have interpreted from my statement is, lighting won't strike twice because there isn't even a thunder storm this time.
Final-Fan said:
If RE5 is a bad game (per your expectations) then a Wii port of it will also be a bad game.  So the Wii RE5 would be a good port of a bad game = bad game that is a port.  Ergo, "crappy port".  Since I clearly stated that this was DIFFERENT from other crappy ports in that this one was crappy in the ORIGINAL, I figured that someone as intelligent as you seemed to be would be able to connect the dots. I was apparently mistaken.
Unfortunately the one failing to meet the implied burden of "intelligence" here seems to be is you. You've made some startling leaps in your logic here. I didn't say this would be a bad game and you are rather misguided if you think I did. I said it wouldn't be as good as RE4 and like DMC4 would probably just be okay, mediocre at worst. I don't know why this is so hard to grasp. It's not rocket science.

Perhaps if you weren't so eager to find any reason you could to nitpick my stance on a Wii port you wouldn't have been forced to reach for such extreme conclusions. From the look of things, you didn't bother to take the time to properly read what I had written or in the mess of responses and replies drew your own hastey conclusions about what I was saying.

Just to make sure you understand, since no amount of explanation seems to be enough the eyes of this thread's critics, allow me to lay it out for you.

- RE5 is not being made by the director of RE4 or the same development team, hence there is no reason to assume this game, which thus far has promoted itself solely on graphics and A.I., will in any way live up to RE4's achievement as a brilliant outlier in the series.

- Whether this game is Ok, Good or Great, it will be playable and enjoyable to some degree, thus a port is warrented for the Wii which would improve the game greatly with Wii controls.

- I would like to have this game, but recognizing it won't be another RE4 I honestly don't NEED it either (certainly not enough to buy a new console), and if it doesn't come to a console I own, I can comfortably pass on it, waiting for the possibility of a future port or a PC version.
So by 'the RE series', you meant 'RE4'?  Gotcha.  Now, please tell me how I should have divined this information, lacking psychic powers as I do.  If you had said "predecessor" instead of "franchise" in the post that I originally responded to, this particular issue might never have come up.

In the part I have bolded, you are saying that RE4 is a very exceptional entry in the RE series (and I'm not implying that you have waffled on this, RE4's status is pretty indisputable).  So to say RE5 will not live up to RE4 is a very different thing from saying that it won't live up to the RE series.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

What I think may be an unexpected bonus for Okami is Wii's huge female base.

All the female gamers I know all like Zelda games. It transistions over the sexual divide very well as opposed to most game IPs which are too masculine for women's tastes.  Those that have played and enjoyed it would be looking forward to a similar game experience (of which there's currently none on Wii).

A big problem with Okami is A) Joe Blow gamer doesn't dig the art style and B) doesn't want to play as a dog.

However, I doubt women would view either of these as negatives, in fact, it might add to the appeal. Add in the paint brush mechanic (which works much better on Wii than PS2) and this could be a real hit amoungst the ladies, an estimated 30% of Wii owners.

Just don't expect big numbers out the gate, it'd have crazy long legs instead as it gets purchased via word of mouth recommendations.

Final-Fan said:

So by 'the RE series', you meant 'RE4'?  Gotcha.  Now, please tell me how I should have divined this information, lacking psychic powers as I do.  If you had said "predecessor" instead of "franchise" in the post that I originally responded to, this particular issue might never have come up.

In the part I have bolded, you are saying that RE4 is a very exceptional entry in the RE series (and I'm not implying that you have waffled on this, RE4's status is pretty indisputable).  So to say RE5 will not live up to RE4 is a very different thing from saying that it won't live up to the RE series.

I also meant the series a a whole though there is a more solid argument to be made on the behalf of RE4 as the new standard for moving on beyond the original story arch. The series before RE4 was dependent on the Raccoon City/Umbrella/T-Virus story arch which has now been exhausted. The point of comparing RE4 is to say, "without the imagination of those who were able to save RE from becomming just another tappering franchise, how can yet another sequel hope to take this series anywhere that isn't worrisome or retroactive?".

I still doubt it will live up to the rest of the RE series which sustained its standard on the continuity of plot, because Capcom has already exhausted the viability of the Racoon City/Umbrella/T-Virus story arch which sustained many of the earlier games and the one game which managed to break away from that into new territory (RE4), Capcom no longer has the talent or vision of in their ranks anymore. At the best I expect this game to tread water in terms of gamer satisfaction, playing it safe in the way of moving the story and playing it safe in gameplay.

I love okami this has became one of the most important threads I ever made, too bad nintendo power gave okami a 7.5

Onimusha12 said:
I also meant the series a a whole though there is a more solid argument to be made on the behalf of RE4 as the new standard for moving on beyond the original story arch. The series before RE4 was dependent on the Raccoon City/Umbrella/T-Virus story arch which has now been exhausted. The point of comparing RE4 is to say, "without the imagination of those who were able to save RE from becomming just another tappering franchise, how can yet another sequel hope to take this series anywhere that isn't worrisome or retroactive?".

I still doubt it will live up to the rest of the RE series which sustained its standard on the continuity of plot, because Capcom has already exhausted the viability of the Racoon City/Umbrella/T-Virus story arch which sustained many of the earlier games and the one game which managed to break away from that into new territory (RE4), Capcom no longer has the talent or vision of in their ranks anymore. At the best I expect this game to tread water in terms of gamer satisfaction, playing it safe in the way of moving the story and playing it safe in gameplay.
Now that's a well-supported assessment indeed.