By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft may have been responsible for Halo MCC and Halo 5's mess.

Your thoughts (if this is true)?

Wow, this is really disgu... 27 50.94%

Isn't Microsoft's fault... 5 9.43%

Both are somewhat at faul... 15 28.30%

Both are somewhat at faul... 6 11.32%

Total:53

The Cortana thing doesn't make sense. MS could have easily renamed it and then there wouldn't have been any association with Halo. I'm calling BS on this video.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:
tinfamous12 said:

But how can you hold an entire corporation accountable for unsubstantiated rumors from a youtube personality? These claims come up every year with every company. I say just enjoy the releases. I also havent heard any fan backlash towards Halo 5, it did really well last I heard.  Maybe Im missing something.

Well the Halo 5 community is in a pretty bad state of affairs right now. Yes, users are coming in, but the community is extremely split. Go to any big Halo youtuber like Halofollower, and you'll see just what kind of flame wars happen. And as I said, this could be completely false. But its all we have right now, and some of it certainly is true.

I play Halo 5 almost daily, and Im fine haha. I think the Halo community will be fine. Flame wars happen literally everywhere in gaming, in every genre and within every major franchise or brand.

GribbleGrunger said:
The Cortana thing doesn't make sense. MS could have easily renamed it and then there wouldn't have been any association with Halo. I'm calling BS on this video.

As I've said, this is a big MAY case. This is just about all we know in terms of whats going on in 343, and unfortunentely this is the best we have right now. But even if that isn't true, there is plenty that does make sense, such as Halo MCC being rushed.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

GribbleGrunger said:

Agreed. Microsoft already stated they are using the Cortana name simply because it's nostalgic and it's an ode to their most popular gaming franchise. Pretty simple really.

tinfamous12 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
I'm not gonna watch the video but neither product is bad.

MCC was too ambitious for the short development time, that's a fact. But its still one of the best remasters on the market.

Halo 5 has fantastic multiplayer with a solid campaign. Some of the best story telling in the series thus far.

I agree here. I played MCC from start to finish and had no issues, same with Halo 5.

To the OP it seems like you just didnt enjoy the games, thats fine, but I wouldn't go so far as to throw anger at Microsoft or 343 for your negative opinion on the releases. They released some damn good games.

Halo 5 had a great multiplayer, but its campaign left a lot to be desired. The MCC on the other hand is just a total mess. The multiplayer didn't work for months after release, and the campaign performed poorly as well. I was a strong defender when it released, but I've since let go of a bit of my fanboyism. I'm not saying you're one because you liked the games, but both clearly had problems at release that I can't let go of.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

As I've said, this is a big MAY case. This is just about all we know in terms of whats going on in 343, and unfortunentely this is the best we have right now. But even if that isn't true, there is plenty that does make sense, such as Halo MCC being rushed.

But anyone can tell you that MCC was rushed to release. It was an ambitious project. Its been patched and the situations rectified. This happens with every major company, not even in just gaming. The whole MCC debacle ended very long ago and Halo 5 was released to great reviews.

barneystinson69 said:
tinfamous12 said:

I agree here. I played MCC from start to finish and had no issues, same with Halo 5.

To the OP it seems like you just didnt enjoy the games, thats fine, but I wouldn't go so far as to throw anger at Microsoft or 343 for your negative opinion on the releases. They released some damn good games.

Halo 5 had a great multiplayer, but its campaign left a lot to be desired. The MCC on the other hand is just a total mess. The multiplayer didn't work for months after release, and the campaign performed poorly as well. I was a strong defender when it released, but I've since let go of a bit of my fanboyism. I'm not saying you're one because you liked the games, but both clearly had problems at release that I can't let go of.

Yeah Im no fanboy, I MUCH prefer Gears of War over Halo however I think it's a bit silly for anyone to be creating a conspiracy theory on a video game haha. That guy on Youtube just wants views.

tinfamous12 said:
barneystinson69 said:

But anyone can tell you that MCC was rushed to release. It was an ambitious project. Its been patched and the situations rectified. This happens with every major company, not even in just gaming. The whole MCC debacle ended very long ago and Halo 5 was released to great reviews.

Really? Because as far as I know, it was the lowest rated mainline Halo. 84 isn't awful, but considering many were expecting numbers in the high 80s or 90s, clearly it didn't do as well as expected. Halo 5 was slammed at release for its confusing story and lack of content, and that was true. 343 has since done great in adding lots of that content, but lots of problems remain. How exactly did Halo 5 turn into this jumbled mess from Halo 4? This video may just be some guy trying to gain attention, but clearly development did have problems, and clearly the story had lots of changes and rewrites before release (remember hunt the truth?). I'm not saying Halo MCC or 5 is a bad game, but what I'm trying to do is defend 343 from a lot of the critism its received.

tinfamous12 said:
barneystinson69 said:

Yeah Im no fanboy, I MUCH prefer Gears of War over Halo however I think it's a bit silly for anyone to be creating a conspiracy theory on a video game haha. That guy on Youtube just wants views.

The reason I showed it in the first place was to spread the understanding that 343 isn't at fault for all of Halo's problems. This has come from other youtubers as well, and those may or may not be creditible. What I believe is that both Halo 5 and the MCC had trouble throughout development, and that Microsoft's interfearing caused lots of that. I'm still a big Microsoft fanboy (even if I try to deny it), but I can't always come to its defence.

barneystinson69 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
I'm not gonna watch the video but neither product is bad.

MCC was too ambitious for the short development time, that's a fact. But its still one of the best remasters on the market.

Halo 5 has fantastic multiplayer with a solid campaign. Some of the best story telling in the series thus far.

I can hardly agree with the last point. Halo 2 Anniversary is damn good, but the rest of it isn't in good shape. Halo CE Anniversary and Halo 4 had FPS problems, and Halo 4 had so many wrong button prompts, it wasnt even funny.  And as for Halo 5's campaign, its confusing and goes nowhere. We hunt the chief for a couple of hours, have a non-interactive boss fight, and realize he's the good guy? Sorry, but I felt it was pretty bad. The gameplay and level design was good, but the story was still awful.

Halo:CE and Halo 4 has some frame dips, but still a HUGE improvement over the 360 releases.

Halo Anniversary on 360 was sub-HD and had significant frame dips below 30 fps. On X1, its 1080p, the frame rate usually stays north of 50fps (better than sub 30), and has more visual polish. Halo 4 is the same thing. Much better frame rate, more visual polished, simply a better way to experience Halo 4 even with its dumb issues like the button prompts. Also, the online experinece is pretty significant to what makes Halo:MCC great, can't say that about other remasters.

The Chief was never the bad guy, he was being hunted for going AWOL while trying to find Cortana. It was believed Cortana may have been corrupted so they wanted to stop MC. That comes to a conclusion leading to Halo 6. That's literally Halo 5's story in a nutshell. The marketing was misleading, just ignore that.

I think action focused FPS games are generally not great. Even the previous Halo campaigns have boring missions. I'll just say this, Halo 5 was still one of the most overall satisfying FPS games I've played in years. I say that as a person that plays/tries pretty much all the major shooters. And I hope they raise the bar in Halo 6.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)