By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why are Wii games more pricey than PS2 games?

u pay extra for waggle!

Around the Network

Yo Go Kytiara!

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Microsoft, Sony, EA, Capcom, EVERY SOFTWARE COMPANY IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND DO NOT PRICE THEIR TITLES BASED ON DEVELOPMENT COSTS ALONE. Get that through you cavemen minds. Do you honestly think that Microsoft made trillions of dollars because they priced their software on how much it costs to develop??? Wake up to reality people.

Businesses price products to achieve maximum profit and nothing else. If anyone tells you different, THEY ARE LYING.

Some of the Wii games should not be 50$, some of them are budget games and are overpriced like crazy. The bigger games I'm fine with them being 50$

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Personally, I'm glad there will be a $50 cap on games like Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros. That's less than was charged for some top tier games 10 and 15 years ago. And Nintendo has stated there will be multi-tiered pricing, just like they've executed so well on DS. Brain Age $20, Yoshi $30, FFIII $40 on DS, IIRC. $30 for Brain Age Wii would be cool. If Nintendo can charge less than their competitors while improving profit margins for themselves and third parties, and merely trade "next gen graphics" for a "next gen controller" to do so, more power to 'em, I say. The big gripe I have with Nintendo pricing is the way they never drop game prices. Smash Melee is still a $30 game even today, for example.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:

Microsoft, Sony, EA, Capcom, EVERY SOFTWARE COMPANY IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND DO NOT PRICE THEIR TITLES BASED ON DEVELOPMENT COSTS ALONE. Get that through you cavemen minds. Do you honestly think that Microsoft made trillions of dollars because they priced their software on how much it costs to develop??? Wake up to reality people.

Businesses price products to achieve maximum profit and nothing else. If anyone tells you different, THEY ARE LYING.

Ahhh, the sweet sweet sound of rational logic.  I can't say much about this due to not being in Britain (where I think PS2 games are said to be cheaper).  Except for the older ones, PS2 games seem to be the same $50 as Wii games in the stores around where I live.    

ckmlb said:
Some of the Wii games should not be 50$, some of them are budget games and are overpriced like crazy. The bigger games I'm fine with them being 50$

Something Like Cooking Mama or Big Brain Academy definetly shouldn't be $50. Their respective counterparts on the DS debuted on the as budget games, so why slap $50 prices on the Wii versions. Also something like Prince of Persia Rival Swords which is a port with tacked on Wii controls shouldn't be $50. These games should be closer to $30. That's where RE4 for the Wii is going in the right direction with it's $30 price. Bigger games being $50 is fine.

As for PS2 games being cheaper it's a 6 and a half year old system. There are a few more full priced $50 games coming like Madden, but most from now on will be under that.

Erik Aston said:
The big gripe I have with Nintendo pricing is the way they never drop game prices. Smash Melee is still a $30 game even today, for example.

Not true, as it was originally more than $30, so it has been dropped to $30.  They drop game prices lots, but generally only drop them once per game.

I think at $40, PS3 and 360 and Wii would make tons more profit... they see alot of profit flushed down the toilet, in the form of trading in games at gamestop or EBgames. More so with a $60 game. Aren't you more likely to buy that used for $30?