By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why are Wii games more pricey than PS2 games?

I can understand both 360 and PS3 games being more expensive as they are more expensive to produce as a whole, but why oh why are Wii games RRP £5-£10 more than PS2 games?

The development time will surely be similar?

Is there a reason for this? 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network

Because they can.

I'd bet if the Wii bombed Nintendo wouldn't be charging nearly as much as they currently charge.

I guess it's because there currently isn't much to choose from and stores know they can get the prices asked, much as Xbox 360 games were £50 a time before the Wii and PS3 came out.

It also doesn't help now gamestation and game are the same company and judging from the way prices can plummet a few weeks after the launch of a game, I'd say it's more likely to be the stores that are ripping us off than the developers themselves.

Games cost as much as they do to cover many expenses incurred by the developer/publisher. These expenses include, material, developers, artists, advertising, taxes, licensing, shipping, etc Simply put, games cost what they do because developers enjoy eating, as do most of us, you know I hear it's good for the longevity. You pay more for PS3 games because they're on blue ray disk mostly.... why for xbox360? I don't know except in the cases of 3 + DVD

In addition, console makers(Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft) charge fee's, except in some big situations where fee's are waved, to the developer to release the game on said system, and some developers buy their Dev kits. Newer console is more expensive to develop for pretty much regardless of  the scale of the projects.

Actually here in America it wasn't until the last 2 years or so that the PS2 games started releasing at $40 instead of $50, and even then some major titles release at $50 still. Towards the end of the current console's generation's lifespan we'll probably also see price drops on newer software was well.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network

Profit of being "next-gen".

@kber81 i agree with you new stuff is always a bit more expensive than older things

Because a company can charge as much as they want to. SNES and Sega games were upto $90USD when they came out, even when the standard price was $50-$60. Nintendo is trying to entice developers by offering a high price point to consumers that is still below PS3/360 prices. Of course, however, it also means that multi-ports for PS3/360 will make more revenue (but not neccessarily profits)

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Game pricing has nothing to do with the cost of a games development.

The Wii is still relatively new, and as such, has the price of "standard" games (from last-gen).

MS/Sony are milking consumers by convincing them that $60US ($120AU!) is a reasonable price to pay for a next-gen game - but if people buy them, then hey. At least some of them will be worth this.

Nintendo could charge this level for Galaxy / Metroid - and they would still sell. But Im glad they don't, and it brings it back to pricing for the average consumer rather than a hard-core gamer. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Personally, I think publishers should price games in a way which is somewhat related to what they cost ...

If you're creating a Wiimake (port from GC, XBox or PS2 game) your development costs are dramatically lower and many Wii owners will have played the game before so keeping the price lower ($20-$40) is probably a good idea.