By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How to save consoles?

m0ney said:
Sixteenvolt420 said:
Consoles are doing just fine. Like it's been said, the PS4 is selling even faster than the PS2 did.

It is not, read the post above yours.

I thought Sony released a statement saying the PS4 was selling faster than the PS2?

Around the Network
Sixteenvolt420 said:
m0ney said:

It is not, read the post above yours.

I thought Sony released a statement saying the PS4 was selling faster than the PS2?

From release yes...But that includes PS2 being only available in Japan for 8 months.

I have been able to play games on some device or another since the Vic 20. I'm fairly confident I'll continue to be able to play games on something as long as I wish.  

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Intrinsic said:
Azuren said:

PlayStation 2 - 157.68M

Xbox - 24.65M

Gamecube - 21.74M

You're saying that Xbox held its own against PS2 and Gamecube failed, even though there's less than a 3M difference between those two whereas the PS2 sold THREE TIMES MORE than BOTH consoles COMBINED? If Gamecube was a failure, so was OG Xbox. 

Xbox was a brand new console, and it outsold a veteran platform in its debut year. That Cannot be considered a failure. 

GC was the 4th console from nintendo, and didnt sell as well as the N64 and even sold less than a newcomer in the xbox. That to me is a failure. Its not just about numbers.

Then now this gen, PS4 is the best selling playstation console in aonys history to date, Xbox one is the best selling ever Xbox console to date and the wiiU is the worst sellimg nintendo console to date. 

MS was the second largest public company in the world behind GE in 2001, in 2002 they became the largest.  They were 8 times bigger than Sony back then, and 40 times bigger than Apple.  

They were big and had lots of money.  And the OG Xbox didn't come at no expense, it's reported to have lost them Billions.  

If Xbox was a videogame only company and this was it's debut console it would've been bankrupt.

GC was the 4th console from nintendo, and didnt sell as well as the N64 and even sold less than a newcomer in the xbox. That to me is a failure. Its not just about numbers.

You say it's not about numbers but all you're doing here is just pointing out numbers that are from the past.  The Gamecube did sell less than the N64 in hardware, but sold almost as much in software.  It also had the best attach rate of any Nintendo home console to date, better than the Wii, SNES or NES.

The Xbox had around a 11% market share for it's debut console but it cost them Billions, NEC also had around a 11% market share for the debut of the TurboGrafx-16 (aka PC Engine) and never gets the same Cinderella story comparisons as the OG Xbox.

Consoles are fine but software business is not, companies don't create much Ips like they used to, and names are shrinking

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
killeryoshis said:
Consoles are going to sell less than 6th and 7th generation for sure. No doubt about that. I once said that this generation will sell closer to 5th generation then to 6th generation. We almost went back three generations worth of sales! That is a quick drop.

The only way for consoles to do better is to make them more like consoles and less like PCs

And how exactly would they do that?

You know that is a very god question. I had ideas now I am not sure. I have to research that later however my suggestion is to focus more on local mulitplayer and worry more about games than multimedia functions. (Multimedia functions are fine but should not be the main selling point or drive the system up like $100)

Edit: I should probably make a sequel to my gen to gen comparison.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you.