By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - LostWinds dev sticks up for Wii’s core gamers

Source 

One of the Nintendo Wii’s biggest criticisms (mostly, it has to be said from core gaming circles) is the fact that the machine plays host to a disproportionate number of casual titles, and that there isn’t enough on offer for gaming veterans. That said, the managing director of Frontier, currently working on LostWinds for WiiWare has rallied the cause of core gamers, promising that LostWinds will offer just what they’re after.

Speaking about the creation of LostWinds to Next-Gen, Frontier managing director Dave Walsh explained that his team are aiming to make a game unique to the Nintendo Wii and WiiWare, and that the project isn’t “cheap.”:

“This isn’t a cheap game – we’re putting our heart and soul into it. You can’t do things cheaply, and we want this to be exceptional,” he explained. “Instead, it’s a game specifically made with Wii, and WiiWare, in mind.

He added:

“When Nintendo approached us about WiiWare, its vision seemed to tally with what we wanted to achieve. We’re bursting with ideas, and people that have Wiis just don’t want another party game. This is the sort of game that I bought my Wii to play – it’s playful and engages with some sort of emotion.

Crafted using Frontier Development’s in-house 3D graphics engine, players utilise the power of Enril the wind spirit, who has the power to control the wind (from the gentlest breeze to raging tornadoes). The objective is to guide and protect Toku, a a young boy who is the only one who can help you release the curse placed upon the world of Mistralis by evil Balasar.

Gamers will jump, glide and direct Toku through Mistralis’ numerous regions, smashing enemies and solving puzzles on their way to a victorious end.

It’s refreshing to hear of a developer speaking up for the core Wii crowd, especially to reassure those who believe the console is doomed to fail under a blanket of nasty, casual/shovelware releases.

Around the Network

I am very interested in this title, I really do think WiiWare will catch on also!!!

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

I just write a note in my hand, to remind to check for this game later

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

with titles lie this wiiware should be a hit

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

very interested in this game

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

Around the Network

Nice game.

Game sounds interesting,theres a lot of wiiware games I want coming up

I hope WiiWare sales don't subtract from the retail ones.

will this game also be on the ds?

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

I'm looking forward for this game.

WiiU/Wii/3DS/DS/Xbox360/PS3/PSP Owner 
3DS FC: 1032-1246-9162  (Nacho)
Nintendo Network ID: Zap786
If you add me, please let me know to add you back