By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is becoming a vegetarian/vegan worth it?

NATO said:
hershel_layton said:

Over the summer I've been working on my eating habits, and I've started to see more and more online articles about vegetarian and vegan diets. 

Just curious, but for anyone who is a vegetarian/vegan(or tried to be one), do you think it's worth the sacrifices that are made(i.e no meat and whatnot)?

If being a vegetarian improves my life, I'll probably do over a course of one month. Won't be young forever, so it's smart for me to plan for the future.

Just do the world a favor, if you go vegan, don't spend the rest of your life telling anyone and everyone about it, nobody cares

So true. I have a friend that is a vegan and after he switched, he was like guys, there is soo much delicious food that vegan's can eat that it's not even funny. You guys are really missing out! Seriously!

And I am always like... Did you know that I can not only eat the shit you are eating but also this juicy steak? At the same time? Zomg right?

Seriously, Vegans are so damn annoying that it's not even funny.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
monocle_layton said:

is lube necessary for jerking off? Seems like overkill

It is if u use a sex toy otherwise the friction will burn ur D and u won't be able to really do anything properly for 2 weeks. Fap? Nope. Pee? Gl. Shower? lul etc

Huh, interesting. Don't really experiment a lot, so never took sex toys into consideration

NATO said:
hershel_layton said:

Over the summer I've been working on my eating habits, and I've started to see more and more online articles about vegetarian and vegan diets. 

Just do the world a favor, if you go vegan, don't spend the rest of your life telling anyone and everyone about it, nobody cares

Vegans are as bad as PETA with their bs.

Ya'll need to just lay off the soda and go out more.

I'll never go vegan. Will however continue to stay healthy. US would benefit from more people improving their diets

monocle_layton said:

I'll never go vegan. Will however continue to stay healthy. US would benefit from more people improving their diets

Good man!

scrapking said:
HoloDust said:
I've been vegetarian for some 23-24 years - and the worst thing I've seen in all those years are zealots on all sides of topic trying to sell you on their lifestyle and/or prove their way is the only right way - seems uncanny familiar with certain other topic.

Live and let die.

I hear you, I really do.  My veg-positive journey was 27 years long, so it behooves me to be humble.  :)

I do think the environmental reality should be lighting a fire under us, though.  If you believe the overwhelming scientific consensus on the environment (and I certainly do), we don't have the luxury of a lot of dilly-dallying on the subject.  And changing our diets to be more veg-centric is the number one way to do that.  We still need to heat our homes, and transport ourselves around, so our ability to move the needle on those other points is pretty limited.  However, our ability to make a dramatic and immediate environmental impact from forgoing animal products is huge.  And that's true for dairy and eggs as well.

So it's not quite as simple as saying people should do whatever they want, as each person's actions affect the rest of the planet whether they like it or not.  And it's fair and reasonable to communicate that to people, in my opinion.  But there are better ways to communicate it, and worse ways, of that I completely agree.

Here's a thought - best thing any human can do for enviroment when it comes to diet is to eat crappy food, die as young as possible and preferably have no offspring - enviroment would benefit so much if population was reduced to 1 billion max.

/sarcasm...or not.

HoloDust said:
scrapking said:

I hear you, I really do.

Here's a thought - best thing any human can do for enviroment when it comes to diet is to eat crappy food, die as young as possible and preferably have no offspring - enviroment would benefit so much if population was reduced to 1 billion max.

/sarcasm...or not.

he hears you, yet spends the entire thread telling everyone that veganism is how humans are supposed to live, and how it can cure just about any ailment, and how humans aren't supposed to eat meat, and even in his very reply to you, can't help but push the narrative that if only everyone were vegan the planet would magically be saved.

What about your post did he actually hear?

My honest to god view on this whole topic is more or less the same as my view on religion.

Do whatever the fuck you want, just don't spend your life trying to get/force/guilt other people to do the same.
You're vegan? good for you, unless i'm cooking you something i don't need to know.
You're religious, good for you unless i'm cooking you something i don't need to know.

Am i cooking you something?
Yes: Tell me "no __ for me please, i'm vegan", or "no __ for me please, it's against my religion"
No: shut your damn mouth.

Last edited by NATO - on 01 December 2017

Around the Network
monocle_layton said:
Captain_Yuri said:

It is if u use a sex toy otherwise the friction will burn ur D and u won't be able to really do anything properly for 2 weeks. Fap? Nope. Pee? Gl. Shower? lul etc

Huh, interesting. Don't really experiment a lot, so never took sex toys into consideration

Yea they are awesome! And I don't obviously mean like a Dildo or some nonsense. There are vagina simulators which people can get for fairly cheap price which can be cleaned and reused. Once you use those, you will never go back.

Eventually, people get the more premium stuff that costs $80-$100 which more or less feels better than the actual thing cause they design it in a way that makes your D feel even better. Obviously full on sex is still the best but man, once you try it, u will never go back to ur hand/sock.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
monocle_layton said:

Yea they are awesome! And I don't obviously mean like a Dildo or some nonsense. There are vagina simulators which people can get for fairly cheap price which can be cleaned and reused. Once you use those, you will never go back.

Eventually, people get the more premium stuff that costs $80-$100 which more or less feels better than the actual thing cause they design it in a way that makes your D feel even better. Obviously full on sex is still the best but man, once you try it, u will never go back to ur hand/sock.

I'm not really into that stuff 😅 Rarely jerk off anyway, and I'm sure investing into it would be a waste. However, I don't judge at all. If it makes people happy, then I'm fine with it

Flilix said:
How did this thread get do much replies?

Anyways, the best thing you can do for your health is eating a only a little bit of meat (max 500g per week, including fish and eggs). For enviormental reasons etc, becoming vegan is of course the best thing. However, that could possibly cause some health problems.

Anything can cause health problems.  Being vegan can cause health problems if you mostly eat processed foods (Oreo cookies are vegan, for example).  Being an omnivore definitely causes health problems, since eating animal products is (for example) correlated and/or absolutely proven to relate to 14 of the top 15 causes of mortality in North America.

What health problems are you thinking of?  Statistically being vegan causes the fewest health problems.  Vegans are the only group that average in the ideal weight range.  Vegans get the most nutrients per calorie on average, and have fewer nutrient deficiencies in studies.  The Adventist health studies compare healthy populations (adventists tend to treat their bodies like temples and be active and avoid a lot of processed food), and the adventist vegans are healthier than the adventist vegetarians (which themselves are healthier than the adventist omnivores).

People obsess over vegans getting enough vitamin B12, yet huge numbers of omnivores also don't get enough vitamin B12.  And most omnivores are fibre deficient, and dietary fibre is probably the single-most important nutrient, and vegans are the only group that get anywhere close to enough fibre in their diet.

VGPolyglot said:

I can eat meat and beat meat, best of both worlds!!

For as long as it lasts.  Presumably that "healthy" mountain biker was able to do both too, until he died suddenly of a heart attack during a mountain bike event.  With the first sign of trouble often being death, you don't have a lot of time to course correct.

Errorist76 said:
I’ve become a flexitarian lately, eating more often vegetarian than not and really thinking about which meat I consume. Makes me a better feeling, healthier person...I feel I have more energy through the day, lost some weight as well.

Becoming a Vegan actually isn’t on the table for me I guess. There’s only so much Tofu and co can do.

I'm vegan and rarely eat tofu.  There's a myth out there that in structuring meals that you have to "select a protein".  The average person in a developed country gets twice as much protein as is ideal for optimal health, but only a quarter as much fibre as is ideal.  Rather than adding tofu to a meal to make it protein rich, add foods high in fibre to a meal to make it fibre rich.  Fibre is about twice as satiating as protein too (it takes far longer to digest).

I was flexitarian for a time, before going vegan.  As a flexitarian I thought the same thing as you about tofu, and was worried about going vegan for fear that I wouldn't be able to maintain it.  I've actually found being vegan far easier to maintain than being flexitarian, as my beliefs and my actions around food are now in total alignment, and it's taken the decision making out of it (the "will I or won't I" eat meat in any given situation is now simply an "I won't" which makes my life far simpler).

Your mileage may vary.

As for you feeling like you have more energy, you likely do.  Lots of people on lots of different diets claim it gives them more energy, but we actually have an objective measure of how much energy someone is experiencing, and that's their metabolism.  Research suggests that vegans on average have higher metabolisms than all other groups, so it's likely not your imagination and the veg-positive changes you've made in your life probably truly are giving you more energy.