By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How To Get Around Microsoft's Shitty DRM

Not sure what your question is rocketpig. Basically if you get a new 360 and you had downloaded content, you would only be able to play it while on live as your live account is what is used to verify that you purchased the game. This is annoying because without Live you woudn't be able to play that content offline. It has happened to me as I am on my 3rd 360. I have to double check what mrstickball is saying as I never tried redownloading the games which may fix the problem. If redownloading fixes the problem then great though would be nice if MS would say to do that in their return letter of a repaired, refurbished or new system.

Around the Network
elnino334 said:
Not sure what your question is rocketpig. Basically if you get a new 360 and you had downloaded content, you would only be able to play it while on live as your live account is what is used to verify that you purchased the game. This is annoying because without Live you woudn't be able to play that content offline. It has happened to me as I am on my 3rd 360. I have to double check what mrstickball is saying as I never tried redownloading the games which may fix the problem. If redownloading fixes the problem then great though would be nice if MS would say to do that in their return letter of a repaired, refurbished or new system.

Hmm... The other day I went offline and it allowed me to start playing Carcassone (had been playing another game online before that). Does XBL immediately check DRM when you sign on, later allowing you to play DRM material offline should you lose your connection?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Probably not the same exact situation, but I just got my Wii back from Nintendo with none of my downloaded content on it, what's more, it showed I never downloaded them and I would have to pay for them again, now even for the Internet Channel.

Anyways I called up Nintendo, almost the same problem we have here, the data was not from my new console, but from my older one so the data was not there and they had to relink my account to the new machine.

I see here it took MS 32 days to get a license done, this took Nintendo 3 hours.

Is transferring a license really that hard?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Nintendo always have excellent customers service.  MS on the other hands....

Anyway, I have some DLC that I purchased on my first 360 and I have to returned it to get the price cut (this was back around the pre-Holo price cut.  (Target refuse to match the new price claiming that it is not a sale and a price "drop" thus they do not honor it and only way to get it at the new price I was pretty much told to return it and buy another one, I was so annoy so I returned it and took my money to Best Buy).

In anycase, a few games that I got on there (Pac-man CE, Worms and some Forza DLC) no longer work when I am off-line.  Most of the times I am on live anyway but there was a time where I have to move the console where I have no Live  (the TV died) and those DLC items no longer work.   I called MS they promise to fix it but they never did.  I called them back a few times but get the usual we have to escalate this matter crap. (To their credit they did try to contact me back couple of times)   I redownload everything but it still did not work.  Forza DLC for some reason was fix (I think this was done via Turn 10 patch because I remember seeing a lot of complain on the forum about this issue.

May be I should try it now and see if may be MS finally got around to retie it.  Last time I talk to MS rep I was told since this was not a "repair" console ie , I exchanged my console through retail MS do not retie the DRM to new unit.