By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: Is Microsoft Running Out Of Exclusives?

Look, smaller Japanese exclusives are one of the reasons I will almost always choose Playstation over Xbox but let's be serious about the relevance of many of them to people who pick the Xbox brand. If someone really wanted many (not all) of those games then they wouldn't have picked Xbox to begin with. They are, for the most part, a known variable.

Now, some of them ARE very relevant, like Nioh or Persona, but a lot of them won't mean much to someone who sticks to big western titles.

If all I care about is street racing over off-roading then I won't be jealous of a Jeep over a Corvette and vice versa.

In that sense, I don't think Playstations overwhelming lead in quantity is as important to existing Xbox customers.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Look, smaller Japanese exclusives are one of the reasons I will almost always choose Playstation over Xbox but let's be serious about the relevance of many of them to people who pick the Xbox brand. If someone really wanted many (not all) of those games then they wouldn't have picked Xbox to begin with. They are, for the most part, a known variable.

Now, some of them ARE very relevant, like Nioh or Persona, but a lot of them won't mean much to someone who sticks to big western titles.

If all I care about is street racing over off-roading then I won't be jealous of a Jeep over a Corvette and vice versa.

In that sense, I don't think Playstations overwhelming lead in quantity is as important to existing Xbox customers.

I think that nothing will be bad for the existing Xbox Costumers, they already purchased the console and Microsoft will continue to release games on it, But less games = less install base = less exclusives.

Microsoft seems to be releasing everything on the PC so I think that they don't care about Exclusives, which is strange because they purchased the exclusivity of Dead Rising 4, I can't undrestand what Microsoft is trying to do.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Swordmasterman said:

What games he need to give a Score from  one to 27 ?, and this is a strange way to rate a game, So a game that scored  24/27 would be equal to 8.8/10 ?.

No, how would he rank those 27 games, from first to 27th.

Wait? Are you implying that the entire strength of consoles exlusive lineup rests on this mans poor, mortal shoulders? Like...if he doesn't personally enjoy, or have played every single one of those games, then they don't count?

Why, on earth would we meassure libraries like that? So, if a game hasn't been in my Playstation, and someone asks me about what exclusives there are for the PS4, I have to leave that game out?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
Mr Puggsly said:
I feel like at this E3 they just wanted push a long list of games coming soon. MS has the most impressive list of titles coming this year and early next year.

So at E3 2017, MS has to announce new content. And perhaps sooner than that.

The point the OP is trying to make is that they've already said that they have 14 games in development and we know what like 11 or 12 of them are.

Basically the OP is saying that he thinks they didn't announce new stuff because they don't have anything new to show. Which seems to be supported by statements they themselves have made.

Did MS run out of money? That theory just seems highly unlikely especially with new hardware coming and the Windows 10 gaming push.

Again, I think they have so much to release in a relatively short period that announcments are probably being held off. MS has a history of announcing some games not long until release as well. I mean Forza Horizon 3 just became offical.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Normchacho said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

No, how would he rank those 27 games, from first to 27th.

Wait? Are you implying that the entire strength of consoles exlusive lineup rests on this mans poor, mortal shoulders? Like...if he doesn't personally enjoy, or have played every single one of those games, then they don't count?

Why, on earth would we meassure libraries like that? So, if a game hasn't been in my Playstation, and someone asks me about what exclusives there are for the PS4, I have to leave that game out?

That's exactly what I'm implying. Why should they count, if he doesn't like them?

Why would we measure libraries like that? Well, because how else would you measure them? Simply by the fact they exist? According to arbitrary numbers assigned by strangers?

People are welcome to list off exclusives to their hearts' content. But if someone is going to use that list as ammunition in a console war, I expect them to be able to defend it. And there's no way to defend a game unless one has played it.

Around the Network
Ali_16x said:
smroadkill15 said:
Phil Spencer stated, they wanted this E3 to focus on games arriving this year and some early next year. Gamescom is for games a little bit later down the line. Don't believe me, look it up.

Yes, I actually just saw that. Now we'll have too see if those games are "big". But it doesn't make sense, they're going to skip announcing their "big" games at E3, the biggest gaming event, just a month later to a smaller one? That doesn't make sense.

They did the same last year, remember how they would not talk about a certain games at E3 like Scalebound/Quantum Break/Crackdown etc.

Mr Puggsly said:
Normchacho said:

The point the OP is trying to make is that they've already said that they have 14 games in development and we know what like 11 or 12 of them are.

Basically the OP is saying that he thinks they didn't announce new stuff because they don't have anything new to show. Which seems to be supported by statements they themselves have made.

Did MS run out of money? That theory just seems highly unlikely especially with new hardware coming and the Windows 10 gaming push.

Again, I think they have so much to release in a relatively short period that announcments are probably being held off. MS has a history of announcing some games not long until release as well. I mean Forza Horizon 3 just became offical.

Once again, we already know how many games they have in development. They have a bunch of games releasing soonish, but don't seem to be working anything for the long term.

9-10 of the games they are working on have been announced, and are due in the next 12 months (depending on whether they count Minecraft or not, since they are counting KI)

At least 2 more of them are due by the end of 2017 (Phantom Dust and likely Forza 7).

And we just found out Rare might be working on 2 more games.

So, by the end of 2017 all but 2 of the games they have in development will very likely be spent. What about 2018? If they started developing more games this month we likely wouldn't even see them until E3 2018.

The next 18 months are going to be great for MS exclusives, but after that it looks like their output is going to tumble.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Normchacho said:

That's exactly what I'm implying. Why should they count, if he doesn't like them?

Why would we measure libraries like that? Well, because how else would you measure them? Simply by the fact they exist? According to arbitrary numbers assigned by strangers?

People are welcome to list off exclusives to their hearts' content. But if someone is going to use that list as ammunition in a console war, I expect them to be able to defend it. And there's no way to defend a game unless one has played it.

Because they don't stop exsisting just because he personally hasn't played them.

A list of games is just that, a list of games. It's a reference for the reader.

If someone was making a list of war movies made between 1970 and 2010, they wouldn't leave off movies that they hadn't seen. Because then it would be an incomplete list.

As for using Metacritic scores in the list, it's simply an easy way to show a critical concensus. It works in this context because we all see a Metacritic score from the same perspective. An 85 is higher than an 80 no matter who is looking at it.

Now, if we were having long, scholarly debates of each consoles library and going through each game and talking about their merits and issues. Then yes. You're going to want to have played all of the games in question, and have very defined beliefs about each of them.

But, for someone making  a very rhetorical list of a consoles exlcusives and their critical standing, none of that matters.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

If MS could get Steam, it would not need exclusives.

Normchacho said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Because they don't stop exsisting just because he personally hasn't played them.

A list of games is just that, a list of games. It's a reference for the reader.

If someone was making a list of war movies made between 1970 and 2010, they wouldn't leave off movies that they hadn't seen. Because then it would be an incomplete list.

As for using Metacritic scores in the list, it's simply an easy way to show a critical concensus. It works in this context because we all see a Metacritic score from the same perspective. An 85 is higher than an 80 no matter who is looking at it.

Now, if we were having long, scholarly debates of each consoles library and going through each game and talking about their merits and issues. Then yes. You're going to want to have played all of the games in question, and have very defined beliefs about each of them.

But, for someone making  a very rhetorical list of a consoles exlcusives and their critical standing, none of that matters.

I never said the games cease to be, or that they should be removed.

I'm making a very clear distinction about what is and what matters

Let's be real: no one making a list like the one that started this debate is doing so to provide edification for the reader. They're doing it as part of an anatomical measuring contest, to use an artful euphemism. But the list is useless on its own. It's simply a collection of numbers and letters. Unless those games are good or great, who cares?

The same goes for Metacritic, a poor measurement of quality. Yes, it shows the critical consensus. Again, a collection of numbers and letters that mean nothing if we disagree with them.