By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii-Mote > Then and now

When I first read about it, it dawned on me that Nintendo would dominate this generation. I thought it was an amazing idea, one that renders traditional controllers as archaic in comparison. I realised that a simple boost in graphical capabilities was not enough to advance the industry. The paradigm shift that the Wiimote promised would be too irresistable, and would likely amount to a revolution in gaming.

Of course the DS kicked it off in many ways, but the Wiimote afforded more possibilities than the touch mechanism. The addition of the balance board only added to the Wii arsenal and left the door wide open for future advances in gaming interfaces through the addition of innovative new peripherals.

I was very impressed with Wii Sports when I first tried it. Although the lack of depth was perhaps a little disappointing. I love how it simplified the controls, (eg, no control over running in tennis or baseball) sometimes less is more. This approach facilitates multiplayer. It's more open and less intimidating to those who aren't so well versed in a game, thus adding more competition to the experience. (I'm sick of absolutely dominating other players in 'hardcore' games simply because of the fact that I have played the game more often - it really kills the fun for all party's and can be a rather pointless excercise).

Nevertheless, I am somewhat disappointed in the lack of support for Wii controls thus far, and the potential promised by the Wiimote and Wii Sports has yet to fully materialise. I feel that Nintendo with their recent releases have focussed on the traditional base, at the expense of advancing the Wiimote gameplay further. I believe that this will be rectified at E3 when they announce their new games some of which will have an emphasis on Wiimote capabilities.

As for third parties, I don't hold out much hope in their ability to advance Wiimote innovation, although Zack and Wiki was a step forward. In the end it will be left to Nintendo to spearhead the charge while third parties follow the example.

Around the Network

LOVED IT then and LOVE IT now!!!

Two snaps in a circle and a kiss.

*snap* *snap* smooch.

[extra points for person who can name that show/actor(s)]

Loved it when it was announced. The possibilities seemed endless.

Very disappointed in it after trying it. Most games control better with a gamepad as MrOuija_AK said.

When I saw it, I thought "pure genius, finally someone doing something different".

When I played it, it confirmed what I thought. Cheers.

The biggest problem I've seen this far with the Wiimote is not a lack of capabilities; what it lacks in perfect precision it makes up for in innovation. Nor is it developer inexperience; whle a problem, that is fixing itself. In fact, the greatest issue I see is the expectations of the existing gamer crowd. They expect the Wii Remote to, right out of the box and off the bat, perform its most sophisticated actions with perfect 1:1 fluidity.

Essentially, they are asking the new generation's NES gamepad equivalent to be as sophisticated as the future equivalent to the previous controller generation's DualShock or GameCube controller. Which is hardly fair, of course, but not entirely unlike how PC gamers expected the NES gamepad to be able to perform just like a keyboard could, and how they too were disappointed that the interface was so simple and user-friendly. Something seems terribly wrong when you consider user-friendliness to be less important than complexity, but that's neither here nor there really.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.