By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Aonuma's opinion about the wii u gamepad.

This is good news.
They "know" it can be a problem, which means the NX likely wont have a expensive gamepad.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:
daredevil.shark said:
Ha ha ha. They admitted it. A normal gamepad is sufficient for gaming.

They're saying this because NX will probably have a regular controller lol.

You have no idea how much that pleases me.

Nintendo just needs to be cheap & good value, and not make a super expensive console, and it ll sell much much better.

More people than ever will get it as a 2nd console, and familys will be more willing to give their kids one.

You cant have a controller that costs 100$ to construct, when the competition has probably spent less than 20$ on theirs (which they sell for 49$).

no shit sherlock, you guys just figured this out now? people have been saying its going to be distracting since the WiiU was announced.

onionberry said:

“We realized that having something on the GamePad and looking back and forth between the TV screen and the GamePad actually disrupts the gameplay, and the concentration that the game player may be experiencing. You have your car’s GPS system on your dash. If you had it down in your lap, you’re going to get into an accident!”

ouch...

http://nintendoeverything.com/aonuma-on-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-miyamoto-taking-a-step-back-single-screen-experience/

"Wii U will not get any advantages over NX" actually. You're a big liar, Aonuma-san.

Interesting, found to be good on both HD remasters. Anyway, I will play with the controller pro!

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

I agree that this is good news.
Remember back when the Wii launched and just about every game just had to get some kind of motion control thingy tacked on to it?
Developers needed a few years until they realized: Hey! Just because I am using a sword I dont have to implement Motion Controls for it!
Same here:
Some games fit the Gamepad very well, eg. Mario Maker, Nintendoland, ZombiU, Wind Waker HD due to the downtimes during sailing that can be used for Inventoy management, Darksiders 2 for similar reasons, etc...

Others... not so much. Im not gonna start listing all of them here, but I am pretty sure everyone knows about a few prime offenders!

So, just like they realized that Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story dont need Motion Controls for Sword fighting they finaly realized that the Gamepad does not fit every game.

The simple Fact that they are saying that, out loud, for everyone to hear, is what is even more astonishing!
They bet BIG on that thing, being able to openly say: "Yep, we fucked up, we got it!" is much harder than most people think, even more so when you are a giant, old, proud company that is known for incredible Innovations.

tldr: This is a good thing, they are admitting the mistakes made!

The new guy.

Sorry for possible mistakes, not a native speaker!

MrCkurab said:

I agree that this is good news.
Remember back when the Wii launched and just about every game just had to get some kind of motion control thingy tacked on to it?
Developers needed a few years until they realized: Hey! Just because I am using a sword I dont have to implement Motion Controls for it!
Same here:
Some games fit the Gamepad very well, eg. Mario Maker, Nintendoland, ZombiU, Wind Waker HD due to the downtimes during sailing that can be used for Inventoy management, Darksiders 2 for similar reasons, etc...

Others... not so much. Im not gonna start listing all of them here, but I am pretty sure everyone knows about a few prime offenders!

So, just like they realized that Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story dont need Motion Controls for Sword fighting they finaly realized that the Gamepad does not fit every game.

The simple Fact that they are saying that, out loud, for everyone to hear, is what is even more astonishing!
They bet BIG on that thing, being able to openly say: "Yep, we fucked up, we got it!" is much harder than most people think, even more so when you are a giant, old, proud company that is known for incredible Innovations.

tldr: This is a good thing, they are admitting the mistakes made!

They should apologise people for selling such a garbage idea and offer system refunds to people who bought a Nintendo console with no exclusive Zelda game. Also, considering the game has features that were blatanly designed to be used with the gamepad, Aonuma is a big liar.

I already talked about it in the "Nintendo adressing the family market with NX according to Ubisoft"-Thread,
but I think that statement, together with the gameplay footage from zelda more or less confirms that NX will habe a regular controller, or at least one without a screen:

There are many actions & elements in Zelda BotW that were obviously designed for use with the Gamepad, most prominently of all the Shiekah Slate.

BUT!

All of these actions are done on the TV, without the gamepad! People have confirmed that the Gamepad screen was only used to show the controls!
Aonuma also confirmed that the entire game can be played with the Wii U Pro Controller!

Why design stuff for the Gamepad and not use it?
Because the other Console the Game will be released on does not feature a gampad or a similar controller!
The controller could still be special, this is Nintendo we are talking about after all, but I'm confident it will be much less excentric than the gamepad!

The new guy.

Sorry for possible mistakes, not a native speaker!

Good news for the NX. It would imply some sort of regular controller. That can only help :).

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

“We realized that having something on the GamePad and looking back and forth between the TV screen and the GamePad actually disrupts the gameplay, and the concentration that the game player may be experiencing. You have your car’s GPS system on your dash. If you had it down in your lap, you’re going to get into an accident!”

........asd.fjdsa;lf WHERE WERE YOU FIVE YEARS AGO???