By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo addressing the family market with NX according to Ubisoft

Prediction: Will NX top Wii in sales?

Yes 38 14.29%

No 185 69.55%

Yo Mama 43 16.17%

Total:266

Since I'm hoping for a modular, handheld/console hybrid, I guess the base model can focus on appealing to the family audience.

Around the Network

So Nintendo is adressing to the same exact public that it has been adressing their entire console life, where are the news here?

And please Ubisoft, keep your shitty low budget shovelware away.

tak13 said:
bigtakilla said:

Nope, had nothing to do with the terrible advertising and huge droughts of games, it was the price and the controller (lol).

Did you see the word ''main''?

Of course these are other problems of the wii u but not the MAIN for me? Understand?

I do know daredevil but because his issue was price doesn't make that the main issue for Nintendo

AAA game development is expensive so of course UbiSoft would like a return to lower-budget titles like Just Dance. Konami probably left AAA game development for similar reasons.

DoctorHorrible said:
tak13 said:

Did you see the word ''main''?

Of course these are other problems of the wii u but not the MAIN for me? Understand?

I do know daredevil but because his issue was price doesn't make that the main issue for Nintendo

Exactly, Nintendo don't need to concern themselves with some peoples small issues, and should really concern themselves with the huge glaring faults. No software and no marketing were Nintendo's huge mistakes. 

Around the Network

good i hope it means 200$

Soundwave said:

My guess is Nikkei is correct again about Nintendo using Android, but it will just be a Nintendo custom OS, which can run Android apps. Amazon does this already for their Fire tablets. 

They'll have a free-form LCD controller which can run Android apps/games by itself (maybe DS/3DS/VC games too), meaning it has its own chipset (mobile chips akin to a phone 1-2 generations ago are dirt cheap), and then one more gimmick controller. Fairly modest console, 1TFLOP maybe that allows for some ports. 

That's my guess. The hope is to get app-addicted families/kids to get their app fix but get some Nintendo games into the mix too. $299.99. 

That's what you predict for a living room box?  If Nintendo stubbornly sticks to 28nm ancient tech, then yes I could see 1 tf .  but everything is lining up for the Polaris 11: "Industry leading chips" news, tech readily available, launch delay to 2017.  Polaris 11 fits all of Nintendo's pre requisites of low power, price and decent performance.  

Its only if NX is a tablet, or if they decide to make a shield type console with mobile tech, that will hold performance back. Also Nvidia's shifting its tegra focus to automotive and other markets so they seem to be out of the question (Emily rodgers took a big L yesterday, she lost credibility with Link being female rumor).  Nintendo can release a polaris 11 (customized, possibly cut down a bit) powered console for $250 easily.

se7en7thre3 said:
Soundwave said:

My guess is Nikkei is correct again about Nintendo using Android, but it will just be a Nintendo custom OS, which can run Android apps. Amazon does this already for their Fire tablets. 

They'll have a free-form LCD controller which can run Android apps/games by itself (maybe DS/3DS/VC games too), meaning it has its own chipset (mobile chips akin to a phone 1-2 generations ago are dirt cheap), and then one more gimmick controller. Fairly modest console, 1TFLOP maybe that allows for some ports. 

That's my guess. The hope is to get app-addicted families/kids to get their app fix but get some Nintendo games into the mix too. $299.99. 

That's what you predict for a living room box?  If Nintendo stubbornly sticks to 28nm ancient tech, then yes I could see 1 tf .  but everything is lining up for the Polaris 11: "Industry leading chips" news, tech readily available, launch delay to 2017.  Polaris 11 fits all of Nintendo's pre requisites of low power, price and decent performance.  

Its only if NX is a tablet, or if they decide to make a shield type console with mobile tech, that will hold performance back. Also Nvidia's shifting its tegra focus to automotive and other markets so they seem to be out of the question (Emily rodgers took a big L yesterday, she lost credibility with the Zelda being female rumor).  Nintendo can release a polaris 11 (customized, possibly cut down a bit) powered console for $250 easily.

I don't think they're using Polaris or AMD, but that's just me. 

Even from E3 it seems like the three semi-custom gaming related design wins that AMD got were 1.) XBox One S (confirmed by MS to have more horsepower than the OG XBO), 2.) Scorpio and 3.) PS4 Neo. 

I think sharing games between the portable and console is still important to Nintendo, as such the console NX will be built largely off mobile components like (tada) the Nvidia Tegra series with an ARM CPU. AMD does not really make mobile components, Polaris 11 is still something that would melt a tablet or microconsole. 

Which is OK, those chips if configed properly can still be quite powerful. Nintendo could probably get a sick deal on such a chip price wise since Nvidia has not found any real big vendor for that tech and are probably frustrated by that. We'll see I guess. I'm not expecting anything special hardware wise. 

I think what they're using is basically the next-gen Tegra X1 successor (Parker-based) at 16nm which they got a big price break on because how many of these can Nvidia put into cars anytime soon? The current Tegra X1 caps out at 500 GFLOPS, so the successor to that being about 1 TFLOP sounds about right. 

Soundwave said:
se7en7thre3 said:

Its only if NX is a tablet, or if they decide to make a shield type console with mobile tech, that will hold performance back. Also Nvidia's shifting its tegra focus to automotive and other markets so they seem to be out of the question (Emily rodgers took a big L yesterday, she lost credibility with the Zelda being female rumor).  Nintendo can release a polaris 11 (customized, possibly cut down a bit) powered console for $250 easily.

Even from E3 it seems like the three semi-custom gaming related design wins that AMD got were 1.) XBox One S (confirmed by MS to have more horsepower than the OG XBO), 2.) Scorpio and 3.) PS4 Neo. 

I think sharing games between the portable and console is still important to Nintendo, as such the console NX will be built largely off mobile components like (tada) the Nvidia Tegra series with an ARM CPU. AMD does not really make mobile components, Polaris 11 is still something that would melt a tablet or microconsole. 

Which is OK, those chips if configed properly can still be quite powerful. Nintendo could probably get a sick deal on such a chip price wise since Nvidia has not found any real big vendor for that tech and are probably frustrated by that. We'll see I guess. I'm not expecting anything special hardware wise. 

I think what they're using is basically the next-gen Tegra X1 successor (Parker-based) at 16nm which they got a big price break on because how many of these can Nvidia put into cars anytime soon? The current Tegra X1 caps out at 500 GFLOPS, so the successor to that being about 1 TFLOP sounds about right. 

How does One S qualify as a design win?  Also the performance bump is minimal ("unlocked" as stated in multiple articles, so power already there) and seems to be limited to HDR.  Its safer to assume NX is powered by AMD until proven otherwise.

se7en7thre3 said:
Soundwave said:

How does One S qualify as a design win?  Also the performance bump is minimal ("unlocked" as stated in multiple articles, so power already there) and seems to be limited to HDR.  Its safer to assume NX is powered by AMD until proven otherwise.

We'll see, personally I don't think so. It's also rather curious that Ubi Soft announced Just Dance for NX, but not any of their other traditional IP. I wouldn't expect a hardware beast, I think something around XBOne is probably what Nintendo will get then the portable can be 1/4th of that for easier sharing of games. 

A 20 watt Tegra chip for the console (at about 1 TFLOP), cut down to 1/4th (250GFLOPS) for the portable will allow for easy scaling of games between both devices. 

To be honest even though I'd love an uber-powerful Nintendo console, 1 TFLOP even would be something that could run the new Zelda at 1080P with 2-3x more detail ... I mean realistically that's probably more than good enough for Nintendo's needs for the next 5 years.