By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bethesda (developers of Oblivion and Fallout 3) come with Wii game

windbane said:
Oblivion is awesome. I just rented the Game of the Year edition. Too bad you can't appreciate advancement in the RPG genre.

Oblivion is indeed awesome. Naz just got a bit fired up it seems.

Around the Network

Damn, I was hoping this thread would be about some sweet new RPG for the Wii. Damn you 3rd parties.

I thought oblivion was a good title. Almost AAA imo.

I don't dislike Oblivion as much as Naz does but I have to agree it was pretty dull. I'm still not sure how it won a GoTY award honestly. It's a slightly above average game at its best and a boring timesink at its worst...and the majority of the content leans towards the latter of those two.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Sqrl said:
I don't dislike Oblivion as much as Naz does but I have to agree it was pretty dull. I'm still not sure how it won a GoTY award honestly. It's a slightly above average game at its best and a boring timesink at its worst...and the majority of the content leans towards the latter of those two.

What I really hated was how much more limited it felt compared to Morrowind. In Morrowind you can make Super Jump Spells, buff yourself to obscenely high stats and do all kinds of crazy crap. One of the more memorable moments for me was when you leave one of the first towns you see a guy fall to his death out of the sky. You check him out and apparently he was working on a spell that lets you leapt absurdly far, too bad he didn't consider the landing. Anyways I used his spell jump across half the game, landed in the ocean, and was eaten by fish. Pretty funny. There were the Boots of Blinding Speed which let you run like the wind, and blinded you.

Oblivion cracks down on pretty much everything unbalanced and overpowered, which seems pointless because it's a single player game and that shit lead to good stuff. Jump and Levitate were removed entirely as magic effects, Spells and Enchantments are now very expensive, and capped very low. You can only make spells and enchant item at the Mage's Guild, where as before you can do it anywhere with the right tools. You're limited to how many potions you can drink, and they are also capped fairly low.

Then enemies are constantly scaled to your level and you waste all your time fighting scaled up monsters in a less than exciting combat system for one of a hundreds of fetch quests leading to generally similar instanced areas.

Outside of the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood I found Oblivion pretty dull as well, partly because of how much less freedom you have.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
kingofwale said:

Thus proven once and for all, even great awful third party developers have no problem making craptastic games for Wii.

Man, I wish those Wii owners will hold those developers accountable for their half-assed games. JUST DON'T BUY THEM!

I fixed it for you. Bethesda is IMO one of the single worst things to ever happen to the WRPG genre and gaming in general. I have never seen a company get by with such shitty programming and unbelievably dull gameplay mechanics in a game until Bethesda came along. This game looks better than Oblivion. May they burn for their horrible crap.

Gotta agree with you here. I can't believe Bethesda are thought to be decent RPG developers. This must come from the same crazies who think games like Final Fantasy are fun. Play a real RPG like Baldurs Gate II (such a shame that Black Isle are no longer around) and you'll discover just how poor all other RPGs are in comparison.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

more unwanted third party support

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions