By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Clinton has clinched nomination-Also, Clinton or Trump?

Normchacho said:
Johnw1104 said:

Personally, I think we need the option "Leave Office Vacant" on the ballots this time around. We'll regroup in four years.

I think we need a "Nope! Fuck this! We're starting the primaries over again and neither of these two are allowed to run!"

lol they could learn from retro gaming...

Sometimes the system glitches out and you just have to hit that reset button.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Clinton clinched the nomination??
Ummm....do you have a source for this? Because according to the law, she doesn't clinch it until the superdelegates vote

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/06/politics/hillary-clinton-nomination-2016/index.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Normchacho said:
Johnw1104 said:

If that's your standard then I fear you don't have a horse in this race haha

I must say, though, that I believe you're the first person to ever refer to Hilary as a "normal human being". :p

Why? She's a very ordinary politician.

and Trump is a whole differnt issue. He's a manchild. He doesn't think the Judge in the "Trump University" case can be impartial because he's "mexican" (which, to be clear...he isn't. He was born in Indiana.), He throws tantrums on Twitter when people say mean things about him.

He also doesn't even seem to care about lieing. I'm not even 100% he knows you're not supposed to do that...This is the guy that claimed that Ted Cruz's father was with Lee Harvey Oswald before he was shot.

This is also the same guy who said...this:

"I watched when the World Trade Center came tumbling down," the Republican presidential candidate said at a Nov. 21 rally in Birmingham, Ala. "And I watched in Jersey City, N.J., where thousands and thousands of people were cheering as that building was coming down. Thousands of people were cheering."

He doesn't seem to give a shit if what he's saying is true. That is an insane trait in someone running for President.

Might as well make fake statistics. Go all out with the lying

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Johnw1104 said:
CosmicSex said:

Thats not whatI am saying.  I am saying that from the evidence I have gathered watching these two candidates actions over the last few months has made it clear that I don't trust him in that position.   As someone mentioned,  Trump is too much of a liability and it would be irresponsible for me too endorse thim at a ballot. Not voting is an endorsement for him in my mind when I have been given more stable alternative. 

Lol in other words he is crazy and I care about the extreme consequences of him being President. 

I don't trust him either. Really, it's not "Donald Trump" that's running for president, as in the man you can go back and see in interviews from the 80's through early 2000's. Rather, it's his reality TV persona that has run, and it has him floating about without any kind of foundation to stand on. We know his past stances, but as of this moment his current ones can literally change three times over the course of a day (such as his waffling position on abortion recently). He is doing nothing more than saying whatever appears to be most popular and gets the most cheers, and if he misfires he simply denies that stance and adopts a more popular one.

He's the political equivalent to Mr. Magoo, flailing about blindly but somehow having it work out for him in the end. It's really rather remarkable. In the end, his one appeal is that he's (clearly) not a puppet of one party or the other, and that alone seems to be winning people over.

Oh my goodness, Mister Magoo. Probably one of the coolest dudes to ever exist.

Also, Trump has a terrible way of answering things as well. Here's an example

Interviewer: So you want to build a wall?

Trump: Yes, and mexico will pay

Interviewer: what if they don't want to?

Trump: Don't worry, they will pay. No but's.

I mean, his actions can be anything. It can either be a tea party of going all out and making Mexico our side chick. He needs a much better way of addressing questions.

Johnw1104 said:
DivinePaladin said:
She hasn't definitively clinched anything yet, let's be fair here. The supers most likely won't flip unless the FBI recommends indictment, obviously, but that's there's a clear distinction between Supers and pledged delegates. And as Clinton should know from 2008, the Supers aren't loyal until they're 100% forced to lock in.

We've still got a month to go before we are completely positive of the match-up we're getting, and for the first time in years, literally anything could happen between now and July with this crazy cycle. I'm fairly certain CNN is only reporting on this to try and hush down California's primary on Tuesday and wash Sanders away quietly.

If it weren't for the FBI thing this one would be over; that's the only thing that's potentially stopping her at this point. Even still, she's projected to win California, and it really looks like she'll have wrapped it up one way or the other shortly.

If anything, this race has showed that the super delegates positively refuse to back Sanders. If Clinton had a more conventional opponent she'd probably be screwed, but with him being so far from center I imagine she's golden unless some seriously damning information regarding the emails come to light.

I can only imagine how bad the trouncing would've been had a better candidate like Warren run. Sanders was literally a nobody when he announced, he's given only stump speeches for a year now, and he'll have probably 40-45% of the vote when all is said and done, AFTER being ignored by the media at almost every turn until the State Department's report a few weeks back. This should never have been close but Hillary is such an objectively poor candidate that she needed every leg up to win this against a nobody. 

I also don't put much stock in the polls for CA considering the huge selection bias in most of them, considering CA's registration surge this cycle. I don't think Sanders will kill it obviously, but I think it'll be a small win unless millennials by and large decide not to vote because of today's conveniently timed announcement. It won't hurt Hillary that much because a large portion of her voters mail in.

Either way, without an indictment, corporate interests run the next 4 years guaranteed at this point - which isn't a change from the norm, I know, but I would've taken a single-issue, possibly lame duck candidate for four years just to push for actual Washington change over two candidates I'm morally and politically opposed to. At the very least this primary has opened many eyes to how corrupt the DNC is, so it'll be good for something even if I fear for the next eight years for my civil liberties. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Around the Network

Hilary for 2016 but Kanye for 2020.

hershel_layton said:

Alright, I don't like making more than two threads a day, but it's finally come. 

Hillary Clinton is the first woman to be nominated by a major party. Unlike in 2008, she hasn't fallen to anyone. She will go up against Donald Trump, who will represent the Republicans.

Now that we are 100% sure of who will represent each side, which person do you think will provide the best stability to the US? I know that the 2008 crisis(which I barely know about) ruined us horrible, and these next few years can either boost our economic growth or make it stagnate. Also, forgeign issues are at large, which immigrants, refugees, and ISIS being main highlights.

Can't be the only one excited for ERB to do Hillary VS Trump

Im not even American and I know that clinton has not been nominated. how can you think that she is the nominee? As far as I know the nominee is only known in Juli.

hershel_layton said:
theprof00 said:
Clinton clinched the nomination??
Ummm....do you have a source for this? Because according to the law, she doesn't clinch it until the superdelegates vote

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/06/politics/hillary-clinton-nomination-2016/index.html

Do you even read what you post? Do you know the democratic nomination process?

"Secretary Clinton does not have and will not have the requisite number of pledged delegates to secure the nomination"

Welp, she isn't 100% sure of the nomination. She got over the delegate count because she has a huge lead in superdelegates, but not that big of a lead voting wise over Sanders.

I sure as hell hope Sanders keeps trying until the primaries are really over.

Ultr said:
hershel_layton said:

Alright, I don't like making more than two threads a day, but it's finally come. 

Hillary Clinton is the first woman to be nominated by a major party. Unlike in 2008, she hasn't fallen to anyone. She will go up against Donald Trump, who will represent the Republicans.

Now that we are 100% sure of who will represent each side, which person do you think will provide the best stability to the US? I know that the 2008 crisis(which I barely know about) ruined us horrible, and these next few years can either boost our economic growth or make it stagnate. Also, forgeign issues are at large, which immigrants, refugees, and ISIS being main highlights.

Can't be the only one excited for ERB to do Hillary VS Trump

Im not even American and I know that clinton has not been nominated. how can you think that she is the nominee? As far as I know the nominee is only known in Juli.

Ultr said:
hershel_layton said:

Do you even read what you post? Do you know the democratic nomination process?

"Secretary Clinton does not have and will not have the requisite number of pledged delegates to secure the nomination"

It's really a matter of semantics as, barring something drastic (which is unusually not totally implausible due to Clinton's ongoing FBI investigation), she has indeed clinched the Democratic nomination. I'm not aware of any primary in modern history that was uncertain prior to the delegates actually declaring their choice; there may be some exception, but it's generally known long before then who will be the nominee. This is why, without any remaining competition, Trump is still being called the "Presumptive Nominee". It's this title that Clinton has just earned as opposed to just plan old "nominee", but again, historically speaking that's generally just a matter of semantics as one goes on to be the other just about every time unless it was used improperly (as in prior to having the required number of presumed delegates).

Ultr, you've extracted a quote from someone with some fairly obvious motives in the camp of Bernie Sanders. A more accurate quote directly from the cited article would be these:

"Hillary Clinton clinched the Democratic presidential nomination Monday, according to CNN's delegate and superdelegate count"

"A strong showing in Puerto Rico's Democratic primary on Sunday and additional support from superdelegates put Clinton, 68, over the top to become the presumptive nominee. She has secured 1,812 pledged delegates and 572 superdelegates for a total of 2,384 delegates -- one more than needed for nomination."

Basically, the only chance that Clinton doesn't win at this point is if some information proves damning enough to sway the superdelegates to jump ship for Bernie. This would be rather unprecedented, though. Her lead, after all, is substantial (13.5 million votes to Bernie's 10.5 million), her pledged delegate count has been growing rather than shrinking since March, and she is far closer to the center. Bernie is no Obama, and it would take quite a lot to cause a similar shift of support this time around.

Here's a really useful bit of information to show just how far ahead Clinton actually is from the guys and gals of fivethirtyeight:

"On Tuesday, Clinton will almost certainly clinch majorities of elected delegates and the popular vote. Suppose that Sanders, who currently trails Clinton by a narrow 5 percentage points in our California polling average, were to win the state by 20 percentage points instead. Even in that case, Sanders would still trail Clinton nationally by almost 200 elected delegates and about 2 million votes, depending on turnout in California.

In fact, Clinton can still win an elected delegate majority provided that she wins just 215 of the remaining 714 pledged delegates available on Tuesday and in the DC primary next week, or 30 percent... Thus, even if Sanders won every remaining contest 70-30 --- by 40 percentage points --- he'd still only roughly tie Clinton in pledged delegates and even then would very probably still trail her in the popular vote."

I'll link the article at the end, but it paints an even worse picture for Sanders. At this point, nothing outside of a world-shattering political scandal will result in anything but a Clinton nomination. It's not incorrect to say that Clinton isn't the nominee right now, then, but it's a virtual guarantee, and they are not wrong for following convention and declaring her the presumptive nominee.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/hillary-clinton-clinches-democratic-nomination-according-to-ap/