By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Man's Sky Creator Receives Death Threats After Delay Announcement!

Goatseye said:
MikeRox said:

Clear what image? That the internet is full of overly vocal pillocks and trolls?

Yes.

I'm not sure it's going to go away, until anonymity is removed from the internet and people actually have to start taking responsibility for what they are saying.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
Goatseye said:

Yes.

I'm not sure it's going to go away, until anonymity is removed from the internet and people actually have to start taking responsibility for what they are saying.

Does Freedom of Speech covers internet anonymity? This case is pretty old but worth to take a look at it. I don't know if there were mends to the law regarding online interactions since then.

In ACLU v. Miller, the American Civil Liberties Union got an injunction against the enforcement of a Georgia statute that prohibited a person from falsely identifying herself while sending e-mail, posting on the Internet, and more (one of the problems with the statute was that it was too vague). The court ruled it was appropriate to give an injunction, among other reasons, when there was the potential for chilling free expression. The court agreed with the state that its purpose in enacting the statute--preventing fraud--was a compelling state interest, but decided against the state because the statute was not narrowly-enough tailored to its purpose.

Goatseye said:
MikeRox said:

Does Freedom of Speech covers internet anonymity? This case is pretty old but worth to take a look at it. I don't know if there were mends to the law regarding online interactions since then.

In ACLU v. Miller, the American Civil Liberties Union got an injunction against the enforcement of a Georgia statute that prohibited a person from falsely identifying herself while sending e-mail, posting on the Internet, and more (one of the problems with the statute was that it was too vague). The court ruled it was appropriate to give an injunction, among other reasons, when there was the potential for chilling free expression. The court agreed with the state that its purpose in enacting the statute--preventing fraud--was a compelling state interest, but decided against the state because the statute was not narrowly-enough tailored to its purpose.

Personally I don't think anonymity is part of free speech. Free speech is about somebody being able to say what they think rather than shield them from accepting responsibility for saying what they think in a veil of secrecy.

It's a pretty tough area I guess. As although we have free speech, there are already exceptions to that when they infringe on other peoples rights. I don't really think death threats are included with free speech as it's threatening behaviour, which is itself covered under other laws. There are a few other things such as extremism where "free speech" is already curtailed to some extent.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Let's just say anonymity brings the worst in us. Human beings is the most intelligent being in this planet but it can be the most petty if given chance.

bananaking21 said:

they arent psychopaths, they are just pussy's trying to act tough behind a computer screen. put any of these idiots in any sort of situation where they might get beat up and they would pee their pants. 

We actually don't entirely know that for sure because we don't read minds let alone know everything about their mental states, but it is very, very easy to just call them something and call it a day. I've been to psych wards with a member of my family who happens to work at one and yes there are people who make death threats, who want to kill you and then the enxt day they are all bchummy with you as if nothing happened, yes there are people like that in this world, hell my own sister is in a ward because she thinks the world is out to get her and at times she can just spout nonsense and get super annoyed at a moments notice if she thinks she isn't being taken seriously, that and she's not showing signs of mental stability.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

I don't knkw why so many people are hating them they only delayed it for 2 months so they should just chill a little