By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Xbox Scorpio coming too late? Or is MS trying to reinvent console gens?

I prefer:

Scorpio in 2017, Xbox 2 in 2019 15 17.65%

Scorpio in 2017, Scorpio 2 in 2021 29 34.12%

Segasoft Dreambox in 2698 41 48.24%

Total:85

Rumors indicate a Fall 2017 launch, 18 months from now, that's just too late for a mid gen upgrade, 4 years after the Xbone launch, unless they plan to do another 8 year cycle, or are doing away with gens by going the smartphone model where backward and forward compatibility are maintained down until a certain Xbox version number. Like a year or 2 after Scorpio we'll start seeing games that minimally require that console and any and whatever future console revisions MS has planned next.

This disruptive strategy is a big gamble by Microsoft especially if they want parity with Sony. Suppose MS has a 6Tflop console for 2017, there's 2 scenarios going forward:

Scenario 1. MS don't have anything for another 4 years, MS is finally switching to exclusive Scorpio development after a year or 2 thus leaving the Xbone behind, which by that point had a 5-6 year cycle. The problem: Sony comes out 2 years after Scorpio with the PS5 in late 2019, a much faster console with let's say at least 9Tflopz, exactly when MS switch to exclusive Scorpio development. MS don't have a new upgrade planned for another 2 years, and another 1-2 years after the launch of the nextbox where they're bound to the Scorpio shackles making them stick with 6Tflopz games for at least 3 years with a much faster PS5 on the market.

Scenario 2: MS doesn't have the smartphone model in mind, cuts the Scorpio life short and comes out with the Xbox 2 also in 2019, angering people of a 2 year cycle. This is not a likely scenario, they wouldn't put a 6Tflop console if it was just to make prettier games of a 1.3Tflop console.

Do you prefer a new Xbox 2 soon after Scorpio or do you want what's essentially 4 year gens?

Around the Network

8 year cycle is my guess.
From now on every 4 years we get a new console (half, then full, half, then full ect).

JRPGfan said:
From now on every 4 years we get a new console (half, then full, half, then full ect).

So you expect Scorpio to have exclusive games right out of the gate? Like I said in the OP I too expect it to have exclusive games and eventually become the next xbox but not until a certain time has passed. Would be awful for all the people buying Xbones now but won't be able to play the next Halo in 2017-2018.

I think you'll find it's Sony who are re-inventing the console cycle and MS who are having to do the same at a later date.

The PS5 Exists. 

Turkish said:
JRPGfan said:

So you expect Scorpio to have exclusive games right out of the gate? Like I said in the OP I too expect it to have exclusive games and eventually become the next xbox but not until a certain time has passed. Would be awful for all the people buying Xbones now but won't be able to play the next Halo in 2017-2018.

No I expect it to share games with the Xbox One, and run them at higher resolutions, like the PS4 neo does.

The one in 2020 or so, will be real "next" xbox, and that one wont share games with the older ones (it ll be BC though).

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
I think you'll find it's Sony who are re-inventing the console cycle and MS who are having to do the same at a later date.

Kind of this.

But MS did speak on it publicly before the PS4k Rumours started...

I hope for Microsoft sake that this is them getting rid of the console cycle and this is more or less their "next gen" system which will slowly start to get its on exclusives and be forward compatible with whatever they release in the 2020s. 

For sony at least it definitely appears from the rumours like Neo is just a mid-gen upgraded SKU ala N3DS. Nothing intending to replace thePS4.

According to the rumor you're sourcing, there will be no generational upgrades. Just indefinite iterations. No more cycles.

teigaga said:

Kind of this.

But MS did speak on it publicly before the PS4k Rumours started...

I hope for Microsoft sake that this is them getting rid of the console cycle and this is more or less their "next gen" system which will slowly start to get its on exclusives and be forward compatible with whatever they release in the 2020s. 

For sony at least it definitely appears from the rumours like Neo is just a mid-gen upgraded SKU ala N3DS. Nothing intending to replace thePS4.

Sony spoke of it last year, months and months before the rumours hit. MS clearly got wind of the de kits going out and felt they had to say something themselves.

Oct. 28, 2015

http://www.geek.com/games/sony-says-releasing-a-more-powerful-ps4-is-possible-1638123/

The PS5 Exists. 

First off, i don't understand how this is something MS is doing. Especially being that we dont know when the darn consoles are coming out.

Secondly, not only do i believe both MS and Sony are going to come next year i also feel its a perfect time for a refresh.

Lastly, i feel they are both trying to adopt an iterative 3-4yr gen cycle going forward and we will see total forward and backward compatibility across generations. We can't call them shorter gens since the previous consoles will still be able to play all the new games. I really dont see what is disruptive about this approach, if anything I'm more surprised it took them this long to do it.

I've always found the concept of spending years accumulating 10s of millions of subscribers only to hit the reset button every 5-7yrs and do it all again as an extremely stupid but at the time necessary facet of the console business. Fortunately, games are such that they are now more about scalability instead of generational limitations. I mean lets not kid ourselves, I'm sure they could hsve gotten the withcer 3/fall out 4/uncharted 4 to run on the 360/PS3 if they needed to. It would look like shit, but its not impossible.

Ms' idea is to release a more powerful console and put it in line with PC development. Suddenly xbox has a bunch of games.
Suddenly xb1 is dead.