By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DOOM is 86 on metacritic now, comments?

Chazore said:
MikeRox said:
Oh sweet! I'm now just torn on what to get it on! Got a GTX970. Will it be better on that out PS4 or XB1?

PS4 to a degree slightly on the visual side, but both play at 60fps with slight dips. I;d honestly just grab it for your 970 which should handle it perfectly fine. 

Cool, will have to see if I can find out how smooth it will perform on my 970. I'd rather have 60fps over slightly shinier GPU effects. That said, I'd hope that the engine will be very adaptable on PC given ID are originally PC Gods.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

Not being a fan of FPSs I was surprised by how fun this game looks (when I saw it featured on the Jimquisition)

Signature goes here!

Second best game of the year after Uncharted, easily a 9/10 game for me. It has breathed new life into first person shooters.

MikeRox said:

Cool, will have to see if I can find out how smooth it will perform on my 970. I'd rather have 60fps over slightly shinier GPU effects. That said, I'd hope that the engine will be very adaptable on PC given ID are originally PC Gods.

Probably the ebst shooting game port I've played the past few years and the game will have a Vulkan patch sometime this year with more perf gains to be had. It'll definitely run smooth on your GPU.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Nuvendil said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Good, I mean isn't this what we hated about Destiny? A game just padded out with enemies.

So thus far I've just been confused by the hype.

No.  What was hated about Destiny in its launch state was that it's lore and story were vapid, the AI was incredibly basic cover shooter fair, most powerful enemies were just bullet sponges with no unique tactics or even unique weapons half the time, your own weapons were cool looking but ultimately not that satisfying, level design was simple both in and out of arenas.  But all that was just a part when the real kick to the balls was that the main driving force, the end goal of the game was the looting.  And the devs *knew* that and made the loot system randomness on top of randomness to arbitrarily pad the games length, forcing you to likely play twice as long to achieve your goals in that regard.  More importantly, Destiny had spent a long time misleading people with assurances of a great story, a loot system and gear that would showcase and reward your skill not your luck, etc.  And that is what made people so upset there. 

Doom's story is better though still not amazing, the enemies all have different behaviors and some are incredibly fast, aggressive and tricky, powerful enemies do behave differently and require alertness and skill, weapons are more fulfilling (you can get a TRIPPLE MINIGUN and an attachment that lets you fire mini missiles out of your assault rifle like Ironman), and the maze like levels offer you exploration opportunities and secrets as well as arenas where traversal is actually part of the combat and you aren't just surrounded by chest high walls.

Note, I am not saying that it's for you or that you *should* like it and if you don't you're wrong.  Cause not everyone is going to like it and that's completely fine.  Just explaining what it is and what it does vs what Destiny did that  caused all the trouble.  DOOM is about and focused on high speed, agressive combat. If that's not enough for you then...well the game just isn't for you.  And that's fine.  That happens. 

I meant how Destiny missions used waves and waves of enemies to the point it just got tedious. Doom gave me deja vu.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

i like it alot, snapmap is great as well

Its a good game and I would rate it a 8.0/10. Pretty close to what I would rate Uncharted 4, a 8.2/10.