By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - World Poverty Rate Over Last Two Hundred Years

Can't see the original picture. Anyway, the best metric for poverty would be GDP/PPP adjusted for both inflation and GINI. I can imagine the poverty rate declining because of the meteoric rise of China, but since China has become a very unequal society, the decline in poverty has largely stopped.

Around the Network

This is clear proof that Capitalism is lifting more people out of poverty and transitioning to lives of luxury. Millions of new middle class in Asia have been created all due to the success of Capitalism.

What about relative poverty?

Ruler said:
yeah but they are still using 1820 standards of poverty LOL fake statistics i say

Except it isn't. If you read any novel in the mid to late 1800's you'd discover that 10,000 GBP was what made somebody the richest people in existence in a time when there was much greater inequality than today. That is nothing. The 2 dollar poverty rate is the metric for today's absolute poverty. 

mai said:
sc94597 said:

Are things really that bad? What are your thoughts on this (this is adjusted for inflation and PPP, before you ask.) 

1) Higher res, no?

2) Methodology? In other words, does the change represent actual change of the poor or relative value of $?

3) Here's better pciture to see the dynamics, since a joule hundreed years ago is the same joule today, adjust if for Gini. Of course, you don't eat them but convert them into food, heat etc.

1.) 

2. Yes, it explicitly says it is adjusted for inflation and PPP. 

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
What about relative poverty?

Why should it matter as long as there is social mobility? 

WolfpackN64 said:
Can't see the original picture. Anyway, the best metric for poverty would be GDP/PPP adjusted for both inflation and GINI. I can imagine the poverty rate declining because of the meteoric rise of China, but since China has become a very unequal society, the decline in poverty has largely stopped.

And South America, the Middle East, and Africa will be next (in that order.) India too, if they can ditch their bureaucracy. 

As for the GINI, this is a measurement of absolute poverty. I am still wondering why relative poverty matters? Especially when Western societies have a lot of social mobility. 

sc94597 said:

2. Yes, it explicitly says it is adjusted for inflation and PPP. 

That's better, both images are more or less synced. Even plato of 1930-40s is here.

The bottomline is poverty has been greately reduced (doh!) as energy flow per capita almost showed geometrical progression growth post-war, even the fact that inequality has increased greatly since that time worldwide didn't compromise that. But the future looks rather dim.

I think we need a better standard than 2 dollars a day. Its relative to the cost of living by area. This is absolute poverty. Im not satisfied. I think the human race can do better. I really think the monetary system is botched and I think we have a long way to go. My reality is a world where rises in the cost of living outpace earnings. I see people who work really really hard for their families struggle year after year to keep up with things like health care costs. I am a person who believes that hard work should be rewarded financially but I know that is unpopular.

sc94597 said:
WolfpackN64 said:

And South America, the Middle East, and Africa will be next (in that order.) India too, if they can ditch their bureaucracy. 

As for the GINI, this is a measurement of absolute poverty. I am still wondering why relative poverty matters? Especially when Western societies have a lot of social mobility. 

Western countries social mobility is much lower then most people suspect. Bureaucracy isn't the problem, the problem is a severe lack of redistribution and a lack of investment in poorer areas.