By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4Neo vs Xbox2 vs NX

Soundwave said:

Why is 6 TFLOPS impossible for fall 2017 but 4+ TFLOP perfectly reasonable for this September?

Magical Sonytenium materials?

If Sony is getting 4+ this fall for $399, then 5 TFLOP+ should be the minimum for MS a year from now.

I didn't say the 6 TFLOPS are impossible, I said all 3 things at the same time are impossible, 400$, 6 TFLOPS and HBM2. I clearly said there are current cards outputting 6 TFLOPS and higher on the market. Besides the difference between 4 and 6 TFLOPS for a console is quite substancial.

The architecture with HMB2 is only supposed to be released at some point next year (Vega) for the ultra highend cards. They won't be 6TFLOPs, they probably will be at least double that, but also the cost will be much, much higher. Having HMB2 on a 400$ system would be the equivalent of having a Ferrari engine inside a Toyota chassis just to cut the costs. It would make no sense

Around the Network

The rumour describes it as an upgrade but I do think it'd make sense for them to just wait til 2018 for a new console that'll blow Neo and anything else out the water. Have it fully BC and port all games to X1 through to holiday 2019. The iterative approach can follow on from here.

In terms of competition NX should be the easy winner if its actually a fair bit more powerful than PS4. Unlike the 2 upgrades it'll actually have its own exclusives, which will be a good selling point to the 80m people who will already have a PS4/X1 by time of its release. I could be wrong but I really don't see third parties making tons of use of the 4tflop GPU on the Neo any time soon. Nintendo would be smart to instead double down on the CPU and secure 60fps on all current gen games, something the Neo won't be able to manage based of the rumoured specs.

In the event that NX is weak then it means they're going the gimmick route which if successful should remove the idea of them directly competing with Neo/X1.5

teigaga said:
The rumour describes it as an upgrade but I do think it'd make sense for them to just wait til 2018 for a new console that'll blow Neo and anything else out the water. Have it fully BC and port all games to X1 through to holiday 2019. The iterative approach can follow on from here.

In terms of competition NX should be the easy winner if its actually a fair bit more powerful than PS4. Unlike the 2 upgrades it'll actually have its own exclusives, which will be a good selling point to the 80m people who will already have a PS4/X1 by time of its release. I could be wrong but I really don't see third parties making tons of use of the 4tflop GPU on the Neo any time soon. Nintendo would be smart to instead double down on the CPU and secure 60fps on all current gen games, something the Neo won't be able to manage based of the rumoured specs.

In the event that NX is weak then it means they're going the gimmick route which if successful should remove the idea of them directly competing with Neo/X1.5

Edited for clarity.

I think the idea of sony releasing a PS4 NEO [now, at the 3 year mark] is completely ludicrous.  When you're the market leader and selling at a rediculous pace you don't take big risks like that, at least you shouldn't.

If anything, I see them releasing an updated ps4 SKU that supports 4K bluray playback.  After all, sony is still a media giant.  That makes the most LOGICAL sense, vs. wishful thinking.  I could see sony releasing something [with a GPU upgrade], like MS, by next year or 2018 which would put them at the 4-5 year mark.  I see Sony leaning more toward the 4 year mark based on threats from MS, and more toward the 5 year mark if MS pushes out too.

Releasing after only 3 years seems to put them first to the market with a big gamble, when they are the leader and only INCREASING their dominance.  WHAT IS THE POINT OF THEM DOING THAT FROM A BUSINESS PERSEPCTIVE.  You would have to show me concrete numbers of droves of people who are NOT buying a PS4 because it is too "weak".  Rather, I suspect that people are waiting to buy a PS4 for more games or cheaper price.  Quite the contrary of what NEO would achieve.  

If sony was showing any signs of flattening out or worse yet, decline, I would change my tune.  Otherwise, I'm not sure a GPU upgrade makes much sense from a business perspective.  The market is not asking for it.  A mintority on forums is not enough to make it a sound business decision.

I honestly don't think Nintendo is going to be competing ... the traditional console market belongs to Sony/MS now, NX console will probably just be a new type of gimmick console that's moderately powerful (1 TFLOP) with easy integration to the Nintendo handheld. Good enough for Nintendo.

XB2/PS4Neo are likely to be miles beyond the NX in performance and I don't see many Western third parties really bothering with the NX.

If MS was leaving the console biz or scaling back then Nintendo would maybe have an opening, but since they're doubling down with new XBox models, there's really no room for a third traditional console and Nintendo has kinda put themselves on the outside looking in with poor decisions over the last 15-20 years, so it kinda is what it is at this point. 

JRPGfan said:

Their not "new" consoles they are upgraded versions of the current gen consoles.

"what are your predictions on performance and cost?"

Rumors say:

PS4neo  = 4.2 Teraflops  = 399$

Xbox One ii (one-two) = 5.28 teraflops (4x power of xb1)

My guess (not a rumor) would be the Xbox One ii, would be more expensive than the PS4 neo.

Fei-Hung said:

"...it might put Nintendo in a really bad position. They will have released another console that might be dated at launch and depending on cost, it could spell huge problems for Nintendo. "

^ this is my worry.

Nintendo if they are barely faster than the normal xbox one, will again be behinde the curve when it comes to hardware.

can't stop laughing at these ridiculous assumptions. ok then, if ps5 is barely more powerful than xbox one, it will be behind the curve when it comes to hardware.

Soundwave said:
So we're possibly looking at

PS4 Neo - 4.2 TFLOP
XBox Scoprio - 6 TFLOP
NX - 1 TFLOP

Nintendo's pretty much done as a primary console maker barring a controller/gimmick miracle.

This is going to be between Sony Vs. Microsoft, the console business now basically belongs to them, well it has for a while anyway so no real change in the status quo going forward.

Nintendo will be fine financially though, they're going to make a fortune off smartphone games in the next 5 years which will become a central pillar of their business, if they can hold at 40-50 million portables, then consoles are just gravy, NX console from the sounds of it could be more something just to play handheld games on the TV on for those who want that.

Sony Vs. MS ... while the Scorpio spec is nice, still think Sony has got too much brand momentum to be easily stopped at this point, but if MS commits to always having better hardware from Scorpio onwards, they can start to shift the tide in the US at least.

They should move Scorpio up though if possible. 6 TFLOPS + HBM2 RAM would be a real kick in the balls to Sony.

that eternal delusion. keep dreaming, troll. funny that with ps4 breaking even at $219-229 by march 2017, it seems impossible for you to see NX much more powerful than it for $299-349 but you think an xbox 2 can have 6 tflops for $399. GOLD.

Soundwave said:

I honestly don't think Nintendo is going to be competing ... the traditional console market belongs to Sony/MS now, NX console will probably just be a new type of gimmick console that's moderately powerful (1 TFLOP) with easy integration to the Nintendo handheld. Good enough for Nintendo.

XB2/PS4Neo are likely to be miles beyond the NX in performance and I don't see many Western third parties really bothering with the NX.

If MS was leaving the console biz or scaling back then Nintendo would maybe have an opening, but since they're doubling down with new XBox models, there's really no room for a third traditional console and Nintendo has kinda put themselves on the outside looking in with poor decisions over the last 15-20 years, so it kinda is what it is at this point. 

the delusion continues

Around the Network
Equalizer said:
JRPGfan said:

Their not "new" consoles they are upgraded versions of the current gen consoles.

"what are your predictions on performance and cost?"

Rumors say:

PS4neo  = 4.2 Teraflops  = 399$

Xbox One ii (one-two) = 5.28 teraflops (4x power of xb1)

My guess (not a rumor) would be the Xbox One ii, would be more expensive than the PS4 neo.

^ this is my worry.

Nintendo if they are barely faster than the normal xbox one, will again be behinde the curve when it comes to hardware.

can't stop laughing at these ridiculous assumptions. ok then, if ps5 is barely more powerful than xbox one, it will be behind the curve when it comes to hardware.

Soundwave said:
So we're possibly looking at

PS4 Neo - 4.2 TFLOP
XBox Scoprio - 6 TFLOP
NX - 1 TFLOP

Nintendo's pretty much done as a primary console maker barring a controller/gimmick miracle.

This is going to be between Sony Vs. Microsoft, the console business now basically belongs to them, well it has for a while anyway so no real change in the status quo going forward.

Nintendo will be fine financially though, they're going to make a fortune off smartphone games in the next 5 years which will become a central pillar of their business, if they can hold at 40-50 million portables, then consoles are just gravy, NX console from the sounds of it could be more something just to play handheld games on the TV on for those who want that.

Sony Vs. MS ... while the Scorpio spec is nice, still think Sony has got too much brand momentum to be easily stopped at this point, but if MS commits to always having better hardware from Scorpio onwards, they can start to shift the tide in the US at least.

They should move Scorpio up though if possible. 6 TFLOPS + HBM2 RAM would be a real kick in the balls to Sony.

that eternal delusion. keep dreaming, troll. funny that with ps4 breaking even at $219-229 by march 2017, it seems impossible for you to see NX much more powerful than it for $299-349 but you think an xbox 2 can have 6 tflops for $399. GOLD.

Soundwave said:

the delusion continues

There certainly is a lot of delusion, but it's mostly from you, I believe you're the same alt that steadfastly claimed Wii U would be a huge success and was close to on par with XB1/PS4 for performance ... I'm guessing in your fantasy land Wii U is some pretty big success that's neck in neck with the XB1/PS4. 

So in that sense, sure buddy. NX is going to right on par with PS4 Neo and XB2. Oh look a flying Kirby on a pig just whooshed past my window. 

If all Xbox exclusives are going to PC, I don't see sense in anyone buying it unless it is your only option. If you have a decent PC and a PSNeo or a NX, that would give you the most games for your money...

You get all xbox exclusives, all pc exclusives (especially strategy and rpg's) and then you get PS or NX exclusives and console exclusives like Destiny etc.

It is surely the most efficient option.

Bryank75 said:
If all Xbox exclusives are going to PC, I don't see sense in anyone buying it unless it is your only option. If you have a decent PC and a PSNeo or a NX, that would give you the most games for your money...

You get all xbox exclusives, all pc exclusives (especially strategy and rpg's) and then you get PS or NX exclusives and console exclusives like Destiny etc.

It is surely the most efficient option.

You're paying a big mark up on PC components, whereas XB2 will be subsidized by MS, meaning you get the hardware at cost or even below cost. 

That's a pretty huge difference. Plus generally speaking it's hard to get a PC this powerful in a casing the size of a home console that convienantly hooks up to a TV with no fuss and works entirely with a game controller. 

The cross compatibility with PC if anything I see as a big plus for XBox, virtually every game runs on Windows, they could have thousands upon thousands of playable games if they fully embraced their PC roots. 

g911turbo said:

Edited for clarity.

I think the idea of sony releasing a PS4 NEO [now, at the 3 year mark] is completely ludicrous.  When you're the market leader and selling at a rediculous pace you don't take big risks like that, at least you shouldn't.

If anything, I see them releasing an updated ps4 SKU that supports 4K bluray playback.  After all, sony is still a media giant.  That makes the most LOGICAL sense, vs. wishful thinking.  I could see sony releasing something [with a GPU upgrade], like MS, by next year or 2018 which would put them at the 4-5 year mark.  I see Sony leaning more toward the 4 year mark based on threats from MS, and more toward the 5 year mark if MS pushes out too.

Releasing after only 3 years seems to put them first to the market with a big gamble, when they are the leader and only INCREASING their dominance.  WHAT IS THE POINT OF THEM DOING THAT FROM A BUSINESS PERSEPCTIVE.  You would have to show me concrete numbers of droves of people who are NOT buying a PS4 because it is too "weak".  Rather, I suspect that people are waiting to buy a PS4 for more games or cheaper price.  Quite the contrary of what NEO would achieve.  

If sony was showing any signs of flattening out or worse yet, decline, I would change my tune.  Otherwise, I'm not sure a GPU upgrade makes much sense from a business perspective.  The market is not asking for it.  A mintority on forums is not enough to make it a sound business decision.

I know or can see the business sense in releasing a PS4neo, but I am in complete agreement with you otherwise. There isn't any pressure or even reason for sony to do that. They could just release a PS4 slim this year and call it a day and wait a year or two before releasing the upspecced PS4. They sre the market leaders after all, and are showing no signs of slowomg down.

Leaks and the media have suggested the Neo comes out this year.... we dont know for certain if that is going to happen. Truth is, no one knows for certain anything about the Neo. Case in point, at one piint prior to the launch of the PS4 it was rumoured to have only 4GB of GDDR5 ram....... look how that turned out. 

NX

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m