By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Oculus LIED and People are Pissed - New Update Backfires Massively

Barkley said:
vivster said:

Why does it has to be a SYSTEM to have exclusive content? Why is it ok for storefronts to have exclusive content? Why is it ok for expensive systems to have exclusive content?

Storefronts don't force you to shell out money on something that you already have but isn't of their particular brand, storefronts are also free and don't impose any arbritrary hardware restrictions.

Systems such as an Xbox or a PS4 are the only devices capable of playing their own software and provide their own OS.

Creating software for the Oculus is fine, if that software only works on the Oculus that is also fine, they are not obligated to make it work on anything else. But upon discovering your software works on another piece of hardware for the Platform you are developing it for and then spending time purposefully making sure it won't work is not fine.

Locking content to systems is ok because only those systems can run their own software.

Locking content to devices is not ok because other devices can be used with that software.

Oculus exclusive games don't just "run on any piece of hardware". They have to be modified to work with Vive. The same way you can easily modify console games to run on PC if you have the source code.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

You mean facebook started a fight it cannot win, OR was crowd funded originally and had a good goal going for itself before FB came in and thought it could throw some muscle in the games industry due to it's FB "gaming" success on their own site. FB didn't even create or own the concept of OR, they just own the device, I'd take it out on FB directly instead of a non sentient device that hasn't done zip.

Also why the hell are we comparing a storefront to a peripheral device, the two aren't even the same at all, one is a store that sells games for the actual platform and the other is a peripheral device to be used with "A" platform, it will never be "the" platform. Christ do I hate marketing buzzwords fooling folk into thinking both are one and the same. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

vivster said:

Oculus exclusive games don't just "run on any piece of hardware". They have to be modified to work with Vive. The same way you can easily modify console games to run on PC if you have the source code.

I appear to have completely misread something or gotten confused somewhere, I thought Oculus were shutting down these modifications that allowed the games to be run on other headsets when it seems they are not.

"If customers buy a game from us, I don’t care if they mod it to run on whatever they want. As I have said a million times (and counter to the current circlejerk), our goal is not to profit by locking people to only our hardware."

So yeah... really the point I was arguing is mute, they aren't making sure you can't run their software on perfectly capable hardware.

Other then going back on their word I have no issue with what Oculus is doing then.

Boutros said:

Why would you be entitled to play Oculus games with any other headset?

It just should honestly as the prices for the PC headsets aren't cheap.  Facebook obviously isn't obligate to have consumers interest at heart but the cost of getting the full VR experience on PC should not be that high.  The other reason is because classically PC is an open platform.  This is just counter to that culture. 

Also, ther is the particular matter of what the founder said in a less than flattering statment.  It is not unreasonable to expect people to be good to their word especially when they make the kind of passionate statments that he said, accusing people of lying when they lied.